Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

Somebody seems VERY familiar in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Oh yes, before the volcanoes, Tambora and Krakatoa blew up in the 1800s with blast unheard of in ages, the regions where they sat experienced frequent quakes leading up to their eruptions. Nothing new or unprecedented about multiple earthquakes in a HIGHLY seismic area.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djconklin View Post
>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
I think you have that backwards, Betsy...They have been decreasing for years now....Evidence of this has been shown to you many times now.

>I didn't see that--can you show me?

I made that request 5 weeks ago. Still haven't been shown it. Why?!? Is it because such "evidence" doesn't really exist?
Lazy? You obviously have the internet...Find it yourself.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default The facts, bearing down on us, like an asteroid....

I took the time to read the entirety of Betsey's amazing thread, and here's a couple of interesting lines by the authors that set a different tone than Betsey's "The Sky is Falling; yeay!!!" tone (my highlights in blue):

Quote:
"The density anomalies," they wrote, "may signify that an as-yet-unidentified climatological tipping point involving energy balance and chemistry feedbacks has been reached."

Or not.

Important clues may be found in the way the thermosphere rebounds. Solar minimum is now coming to an end, EUV radiation is on the rise, and the thermosphere is puffing up again. Exactly how the recovery proceeds could unravel the contributions of solar vs. terrestrial sources."
So; a rather new area of solar science evolves as our technologies and interests follow along. BTW, Betsey, didn't you also diligently crow that solar flares are definitely on the uptick? That soon we'd be engulfed by a massive solar outflare that various scientists tell us would damage the ISS and it's luckless occupants, and then later, we atheists on the surface of this planet?

Which is it? Solar uptick or solar decline? "We're DOOMED, or, well, in your presentations, "We're DOOMED!" No way out, huh? You DO know that these things are cyclic, do you not? And that 43 years, while a significant timespan for individual hominids, is literally nothing on the astronomical scale?

These things come and go. There's been endless catastrophic events in our past, geologically, meteorologically, biologically, chemically, socially. Any-logically, frankly. Just talk to those now-extinct dinosaurs that the Chicxulub meteor killed off. What? Was this just God practicing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl...8470/img/1.jpg

And yet you choose (and that's an important modifier, BTW.. CHOOSE) to strut around like one of those "The End of the World is Upon Us!!!" placard-bearing bearded guys (tho' I hope and trust you're not bearded... ) who approaches us on the streets waggling his boy finger in that "I told you so!" look..

There used to be one of them prancing about near our home in SoCal. He was a street-corner fixture for literally years and years! A sort of self-denying irony, no? It became a local joke that his prediction was, obviously, perennial and non-fulfilling. The evening news would occasionally feature him and he'd trot, like a trained doggy, towards the camera yelling "It's COMING!, I tell you! Repent and save yourself" BTW, that was at least > 20 years ago. As well, do you see how silly, neah stupid, this sort of behavior looks to we more grounded folk?

Q: Betsey: what WILL you do with your life if none of this nonsense ever comes to pass for you? If you just get older, more feeble and having someone push you around in the home, but yet, still, no massive solar flares, no atmospheric collapse, no nothing. Ever?

And on your death bed, as the light of life and reality dim, and there's still no guiding bright light for Betsey, no choirs of angels and no Golden Ship lowering it's shimmering boarding ramp for you, you'll realize (too late, I'll add..) how much time you wasted on searching, quote-mining and admonishing us all of something that jist t'ain't gonna happen.

Sorry.

Last edited by rifleman; 07-25-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we......."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Just another day? Nothing "different" to you? Follow the trend........ Look at just today alone, still the "same day" to you?

Latest Earthquakes M3.0+ in the USA - Past 7 days
So..... let's see here now; at the rate you say this is all happening, we should be there by now, right? I mean, RIGHT? Otherwise, it IS just another day. Logically and obviously.

But as well... what if we found a reliable record of a recent week or day where things quieted down? Want me to look for yah, cause I will. For free! Shouldn't be too hard.

What WOULD you say then, Betsey? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Normal because God punished with the weather straight and simple this year. If we pull up our socks by the end of the year then maybe, just maybe God will be the cause of the climate changes with a remission expected.

Actually, tgnostic, in our little rural home valley, we've had an amazing spring, with a bumper crop of this economy's key export. "The best in years!" say local farmers. So what happened to God punishing us? We're certainly not a particularly Christian community...

Quote:
"I can see no greater waste of the time left running in circles screaming in fear about the possibility, especially when the concept of the world is ending is based soundly in mythology."

See, in your scenario, it's all about YOU! Me, I have a different agenda, it's to see souls saved, before it's too late. Make no mistakes my friends, it WILL happen just like He said it would:

Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: (
myth? I think not!)

[rflmnâ„¢: Actually, Betsey; that one's been completely debunked as technically impossible or many many levels. If you want to attribute it to MAGIC, then so be it, but don't try to justify it with pseudo-science.]etc., etc.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
(Not hot enough for you yet? wait, it gets HOTTER!)Wahhyytttt! We had some of the coldest times on record last winter. let's try to be consistent, shall we? Natural variations do not a disaster movie make.Everything that you need to know concerning the EARTH CHANGES are there, contain in these scriptures, ALL OF IT!! Now whether you believe it or not...it's entirely up to YOU. Try dying without CHRIST! Carry on.......

We all will, Betsy. BTW, please don't try to save me any more. I'm a lost cause, at least in your twisted world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
....it alarms me that you are trying to persuade others to join you in these irrational fears.

You are basing the end of the world based on what, mythology + normal events?

Yeah; that's it, AN. Totally unsupported, speculative and based on transient or singular events with no history or likelihood of further occurrence. Yep; that's it all right!

... some time in the future, 'normal events' will scour this rock of most life forms, and if the annihilation is not complete, i.e. there is still an atmosphere, some water, it will all start again from some primordial sludge.

As it has in the past, several times. Maybe God "processes" batches of sinners since He's a sadist? Say it isn't so!

There just isn't anything to be done to 'prepare', so enjoy the sunshine today, tomorrow will come even if we aren't here to see it.
Quote:
Moving along........

Why do scientists think something could be hidden beyond the edge of our solar system?

They speculate and hypothesize about new things all the time, Betsy. We're constantly finding out new things, or trying to explain the previously inexplicable. Only the God-fearing ET types read into it all with fervent desire and hopes for a disastrous future. so far, historically, they have been dead-wrong. Always. Since, after all, we're still here, right?

Problem is, given the documented past history of such events on a sort of regular basis, something will come along but it won't be your hoped-for End Times. It'll just screw a lot of animals (including many of us).

Snippet: A dark object may be lurking near our solar system, occasionally kicking comets in our direction. Nicknamed "Nemesis" or "The Death Star," this undetected object could be a red or brown dwarf star, or an even darker presence several times the mass of Jupiter. Why do scientists think something could be hidden beyond the edge of our solar system? Originally, Nemesis was suggested as a way to explain a cycle of mass extinction on Earth.

So frickin' what? An "
undetected" (so far... and so what?) object "lurking", (use of inappropriate words to imply evil intent, without any supporting evidence...) kicking comets "in our direction" (again; use of inappropriate words to imply evil intent). Or in many other directions, I'd add.

Unless you have a statistical and documented count of just how many, in which directions, and of what sizes, or are you assuming (and then stating, with no supporting evidence...as usual) they are all kicked just in our direction? What a load of unmitigated, illogical, biased and assumptive cr@p!

Quote:
Eight earthquakes struck the Moro Gulf off Mindanao island in the southern Philippines today and one rocked the northern Indonesian island of Sumatra, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Three of the eight quakes in the Moro Gulf measured more than magnitude seven, the USGS reported on its website. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage, and tsunami warnings weren’t issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
Apparently the following phrase is worth repeating to every one of your posts:

So what?

This, none of it, is ever anything out of the ordinary. What about, let's say, a couple of days before this, when there were "only" 2 or 5 minor quakes? Or none? Was God cooling His heels? Conserving His strength? By your blatant fear-mongering, a lot of really bad stuff should have happened by now, and yet.....

Things that have happened have been quick to recover, or are on the way there (Haiti? Some tsunamis? A few mid-west tornadoes? The Gulf Oil spill? All have been or will be corrected, healed or recovered from.)

There's literally none of the accumulated destruction that your evil scenario requires. None.

So why do you selectively cherry-pick your information? This is usually only done by the deceptive or those with an obvious agenda. In this case, it's obviously to scare, with baseless pseudo-science, cherry-picked from headlines, but without presenting the entirely of the story, or the scientist's thoughtful constraints and limitations.

Well OK then; if that's the best you can do. Keep it up; it's mildly entertaining.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:51 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So..... let's see here now; at the rate you say this is all happening, we should be there by now, right? I mean, RIGHT? Otherwise, it IS just another day. Logically and obviously.

But as well... what if we found a reliable record of a recent week or day where things quieted down? Want me to look for yah, cause I will. For free! Shouldn't be too hard.

What WOULD you say then, Betsey? WTF?

Actually, tgnostic, in our little rural home valley, we've had an amazing spring, with a bumper crop of this economy's key export. "The best in years!" say local farmers. So what happened to God punishing us? We're certainly not a particularly Christian community...

We all will, Betsy. BTW, please don't try to save me any more. I'm a lost cause, at least in your twisted world.

So frickin' what? An "
undetected" (so far... and so what?) object "lurking", (use of inappropriate words to imply evil intent, without any supporting evidence...) kicking comets "in our direction" (again; use of inappropriate words to imply evil intent). Or in many other directions, I'd add.

Unless you have a statistical and documented count of just how many, in which directions, and of what sizes, or are you assuming (and then stating, with no supporting evidence...as usual) they are all kicked just in our direction? What a load of unmitigated, illogical, biased and assumptive cr@p!

Apparently the following phrase is worth repeating to every one of your posts:

So what?

This, none of it, is ever anything out of the ordinary. What about, let's say, a couple of days before this, when there were "only" 2 or 5 minor quakes? Or none? Was God cooling His heels? Conserving His strength? By your blatant fear-mongering, a lot of really bad stuff should have happened by now, and yet.....

Things that have happened have been quick to recover, or are on the way there (Haiti? Some tsunamis? A few mid-west tornadoes? The Gulf Oil spill? All have been or will be corrected, healed or recovered from.)

There's literally none of the accumulated destruction that your evil scenario requires. None.

So why do you selectively cherry-pick your information? This is usually only done by the deceptive or those with an obvious agenda. In this case, it's obviously to scare, with baseless pseudo-science, cherry-picked from headlines, but without presenting the entirely of the story, or the scientist's thoughtful constraints and limitations.

Well OK then; if that's the best you can do. Keep it up; it's mildly entertaining.
You seem so angry....over "nonsense" according to you. Why?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
You seem so angry....over "nonsense" according to you. Why?
The "we're all gonna die, soon" nonsense (your term) occasionally invades the minds of those in positions of power, then the nonsense become everyone's business. Secretary of Interior Watts (under Regan) felt there was no need to protect the environment because the world was going to end soon, so why bother.

Is BP wasting their time trying to stop the oil? Is Obama's efforts to reduce greenhouse emissions, or to encourage alternative energy sources a waste of time? After all "we're all gonna die, soon" so why bother?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Icebaby! View Post
I can't believe there are still people saying this is normal. Since when?
It would probably help to define "normal" in the context of global weather, meteor impacts, seismic activity, solar activity etc.

"Normal" would be within the bounds of overall long term known activity. Since we know cataclysmic weather changes have occurred (study Greenland) and that large asteroids have hit the earth (study the Grand Canyon) and that enormous upheavals of land mass have occurred (study geology) then the events we see now are all within "normal" parameters.

Also - "normal" does NOT exclude unique and unprecedented events as those events normally happen every year.

Here are some personal anecdotal examples: In my childhood (early 60's) I woke up once in South Texas to 4-5 inches of solid ice on the ground (heavy sleet for hours on end). It was unprecedented - even by my Grandmothers recollection (she lived in the area since 1908).

In 1978 or so the Medina river had a record crest is specific areas. Thousands of huge Cypress trees were uprooted along it's banks. Nothing like this had ever happened before as far as anyone knows - and it hasn't happened since.

In 1998 (IIRC) we had an "unprecedented" flood in San Antonio. My house was in a 500 year flood plain and the tiny creek a few hundred yards away ALMOST got my house! Nothing like that (in that exact area) before or since.

In 2002 we thought the Medina dam (near my new residence) was going to collapse. Unprecedented rainfalls cause a record high lake level - many feet over the dam's spillway. Upstream an entire shopping center was underwater, something they thought would never happen when they built it (because previous flood waters had never come close).

Earlier this year at Medina Lake we had even more intense rainfall, but for a shorter period of time. The Lake didn't even fill all the way up BUT the rain came down so fast that retaining walls erected 70 or 80 years ago collapsed even though they survived the 2002 deluge.

In between these two we had a major drought, but not as bad as one in the fifties which reduced the lake to a tiny stream less than 3 feet across!!!!

So you see - unusual and unprecedented can still fall under "normal" activity since it is normal to have unprecedented events.

There are at least many many TRILLIONS of variables which may or may not produce the exact same results in the exact same areas.

Several years ago it was 90 PLUS degrees as the Superbowl approached (!) and I heard a pastor say "and some people STILL don't think it's the end times".

So you see - even if a asteroid struck Washington DC tomorrow and killed 1/3 of the population of the U.S. this would still absolutely fall under the category of "normal" activity from what we know of the history of our planet/solar system. Even though (I agree) it would not seem "normal" at all to those of us who hadn't seen events like this before.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
I suspect all these cyclic events work on some sort of feedback system.Now if you are a woman...you can totally relate! LOL.It's somewhat similar to monthly cycles...hormone levels get low,they are triggered to come back again...they get to a peak,break,and then go low again...it seems to be the same with all creation,IMO.heck,the ocean tides do this every day,twice a day.low tide,high tide..very cyclical,due to pull of the moon.
Just something I noticed and thought I'd throw out there

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I suspect all these cyclic events work on some sort of feedback system.Now if you are a woman...you can totally relate! LOL.It's somewhat similar to monthly cycles...hormone levels get low,they are triggered to come back again...they get to a peak,break,and then go low again...it seems to be the same with all creation,IMO.heck,the ocean tides do this every day,twice a day.low tide,high tide..very cyclical,due to pull of the moon.
Just something I noticed and thought I'd throw out there
I suspect that even a simple observation such as this will fail to convince those who really believe the sky is falling more now than it did last year or 500 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity