U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM

20,304 posts, read 15,661,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What about this "I am " Statement:
"While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Is Paul God? He said: "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me."
Picking and choosing which 'ego eimi' phrase is saying they are God... Even in the OT God is shown to say "I am the Lord"

I am is not God's proper name.....

It's staring you right in the face!!!

Exodus 3:14 'And God said to Moses, ''I AM WHO I AM''; AND He said, ''Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, ''Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.''

John 8:24 ''I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am, you shall die in your sins.''

Link:

I Am statements of Jesus

Last edited by Mike555; 05-28-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,391,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It's staring you right in the face!!!

Exodus 3:14 'And God said to Moses, ''I AM WHO I AM''; AND He said, ''Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, ''Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.''

John 8:24 ''I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am, you shall die in your sins.''

Link:

I Am statements of Jesus

You forgot the rest of the passage in Exodus and consulting the Jews about their customs (after all they are the ones who God's name was passed directly on to).

Anyway...
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.b This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord,c the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

Footnotes:
b 14 Or I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE
c 15 The Hebrew for LORD sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for I AM in verse 14.

So which is God's name? THE LORD (Yahweh, Jehovah) or I am?

Why is it said twice what to tell the Israelites? And why do you only pay attention to the first portion but not the second?

One is a discription of who God is.. I am who I am... I will be who I will be... and the other is his NAME - THE LORD. And the rest of the description of God... the God of your fathers.

In just taking this one portion you are assuming that the Jews at the time called the LORD GOD.. I AM.. Which they did not. They called him (and some still do) Hashem or in prayer, Yehovah. That is the word for LORD int he verse. I have never heard of any significance of "I AM" except from Christians trying to prove the godness of Christ. If all the Jews knew was that God was Yehovah.. then I AM he is just what it appears to be... Christ stated I am he [the Christ]. Reading the context can lead you to understand this as well.

You are trying to say that God's REAL Proper name is 'I AM' when it suits you.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,289,114 times
The Jews understood Christ perfectly when He said....I am.
Any Jew would, Gentile or Ethnic, that believed in God.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You forgot the rest of the passage in Exodus and consulting the Jews about their customs (after all they are the ones who God's name was passed directly on to).

Anyway...
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.b This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord,c the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

Footnotes:
b 14 Or I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE
c 15 The Hebrew for LORD sounds like and may be derived from the Hebrew for I AM in verse 14.

So which is God's name? THE LORD (Yahweh, Jehovah) or I am?

Why is it said twice what to tell the Israelites? And why do you only pay attention to the first portion but not the second?

One is a discription of who God is.. I am who I am... I will be who I will be... and the other is his NAME - THE LORD. And the rest of the description of God... the God of your fathers.

In just taking this one portion you are assuming that the Jews at the time called the LORD GOD.. I AM.. Which they did not. They called him (and some still do) Hashem or in prayer, Yehovah. That is the word for LORD int he verse. I have never heard of any significance of "I AM" except from Christians trying to prove the godness of Christ. If all the Jews knew was that God was Yehovah.. then I AM he is just what it appears to be... Christ stated I am he [the Christ]. Reading the context can lead you to understand this as well.

You are trying to say that God's REAL Proper name is 'I AM' when it suits you.
No. I am telling you that if you do not believe that Jesus Christ is God, then you are dead in your sins and you will make your home iin the lake of fire.

Final comment.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,713,674 times
Isn't this a little curious?

St. John 17: These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy son, that the son also may glorify thee.

St. John 20:17: Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Clearly, if Jesus was God, he would have come right out and said so... he wouldn't have had to pray to his Father or to go to "my God".. with so many mentions of the word "Father" in the Bible... one can conclude that Jesus isn't God.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Isn't this a little curious?

St. John 17: These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy son, that the son also may glorify thee.

St. John 20:17: Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Clearly, if Jesus was God, he would have come right out and said so... he wouldn't have had to pray to his Father or to go to "my God".. with so many mentions of the word "Father" in the Bible... one can conclude that Jesus isn't God.
Conclude that to your own eternal destruction.

Christ is Yahweh (http://www.biblicalresources.info/pages/isaiah/yhwhchrist.html - broken link)

Did Jesus ever say the exact words "I am God?" | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Last edited by Mike555; 05-28-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,715,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Conclude that to your own eternal destruction.

Christ is Yahweh (http://www.biblicalresources.info/pages/isaiah/yhwhchrist.html - broken link)
Good thing there isn't such a thing or we might all be scared.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,687,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Amen...... yes, Christ is our God ! Hallelujah !!

I remember when I first believe and the Holy Spirit was leading me through the scripture, He began to show me that Jesus was God. It was like yesterday when it happen, it is so real to my heart and I think upon that day..... it was so awesome because I was not even seeking it and yet, the Holy Spirit in my morning devotion, reading & studying the word the Spirit of God just opened it that day.
I'll never forget how when I saw it, it was like the room was all dark and someone came in and turned the light on, which in all reality the Holy Spirit did turn the light on in my heart !!!

I pray that those who doubt and say no it is not true, just let the Spirit of God have your heart for a few minutes with no reservations and He will reveal it to you. It is a beautiful thing to watch God bring His living word to life in your heart..... Amen !!! Praise the Lord !!!

Blessings.... Mike, and thank you !!! I hope those who are seeking fall upon this thread. Actually, I know God will lead them here !!!
I wish I could rep you! This blessed me. Thank you for sharing!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,382,552 times
Listen, I believe with all my heart that Jesus existed and he took on the world to bring us back from the "dead!" I DO!

But, can somebody PLEASE tell me how Jesus has his own will if he was God, then? I have asked this repeatedly on these kinds of threads and haven't received an answer besides katjonjj's.

Not MY will but YOURS be done.......etc.

And how in the heck are you TEMPTED with something YOU ALREADY OWN?

Most of the commentary on this is SO kooky my brain goes into complete meltdown!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,687,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The Jews understood Christ perfectly when He said....I am.
Any Jew would, Gentile or Ethnic, that believed in God.
Exactly! Thus why in John 10:33 the Jews says "You, being a man, make yourself out to be God." They knew exactly what Jesus was saying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or