U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,647,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
So, how are you truly tempted if you are HOOKED to a being that cannot be tempted?

I, mean, honestly. If I was out there trying to lift a mountain (of course, I could not, in my little peon body) and some giant came by and put me on his head or something and then lifted the mountain for me, I did NOT truly lift that mountain, did I?

So, if Jesus (body) was tempted (lifting mountains) and God helped him (giant) then was Jesus TRULY tempted? It wouldn't have been the kind of temptation that would make one sweat, right?

I understand Jesus was human and he had pain and so on, so he was tempted in his flesh but not in his spirit, it looks like you are saying. But that still doesn't explain why Satan tempted him with the kingdoms of this world, if he already owned them. What difference would it make to him if Satan tempted him with those kingdoms?
Jesus is not two separate beings. He has two natures, a divine nature-His deity, and His human nature. But He is one Person.

We can know, because the Bible says it, that Jesus was tempted in all points and yet He didn't sin. Trying to make perfect sense of it is another matter. But the description that I gave should help. Post #56.

Satan is the ruler of this world until the Lord returns. He made a ligitimate offer to Jesus. Had Jesus worshipped Satan, Satan could have given him the kingdoms of the world. But that of course was never going to happen. And Jesus used scripture to answer Satan's temptation. Jesus Christ will take possession of the world when He returns at His Second Advent. Everything must be done according to God's plan and timetable. Satan was trying to get Jesus to go contrary to the Father's plan. That's why he made the offer.

As I said, Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread. He also tempted Him to jump off the temple pinnacle. He offered Him the kingdoms of the world. The Bible doesn't say with what other temptations Satan came at Jesus. But Hebrews 4:15 says that Jesus was tempted in all things.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknessesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

But His temptations came from without. Not from within. He had no old sin nature to tempt Him. His temptations could only come from the world and the devil.

That's about as far as I can go with the subject of Christ's temptations.

Last edited by Mike555; 05-28-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
This is beautiful Mike. I had never heard it put this way. And the analogy of the copper and iron is one I will remember. I do not see it as confusing, just alot of depth.
I myself did not have a Christian upbringing, however I had known and believed the Godhead and Trinty since 15 through the scriptures.
Ephesians 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

God Bless,
Mercy
Thank you.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,380,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus is not two separate beings. He has two natures, a divine nature-His deity, and His human nature. But He is one Person.

We can know, because the Bible says it, that Jesus was tempted in all points and yet He didn't sin. Trying to make perfect sense of it is another matter.

Satan is the ruler of this world until the Lord returns. He made a ligitimate offer to Jesus. Had Jesus worshipped Satan, Satan could have given him the kingdoms of the world. But that of course was never going to happen. And Jesus used scripture to answer Satan's temptation. Jesus Christ will take possession of the world when He returns at His Second Advent. Everything must be done according to God's plan and timetable. Satan was trying to get Jesus to go contrary to the Father's plan. That's why he made the offer.

As I said, Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread. He also tempted Him to jump off the temple pinnacle. He offered Him the kingdoms of the world. The Bible doesn't say with what other temptations Satan came at Jesus. But Hebrews 4:15 says that Jesus was tempted in all things.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknessesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

But His temptations came from without. Not from within. He had no old sin nature to tempt Him. His temptations could only come from the world and the devil.

That's about as far as I can go with the subject of Christ's temptations.
I know you are trying, Mike. Thanks. I will keep studying. I have been kind of working on the angelic conflict angle with the "We Judge Angels" thread. Pneuma has helped me with some of that.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,286,831 times
Quote:
Sola Scriptura!!!

This new age stuff this individual is pushing is a part of Satan's cosmos diabolicus. It is Not from God.
Very true!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I agree that God sent his WORD or message even thoughts to flesh but his very essence? The bible doesn't say that. The bible says it is God's word.
It does in many places Kat.
And your interpretation of the bolded, is a serious flaw that has no scriptural foundation of John 1.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,712,897 times
Quote:
You seem to be one of those divine love people based on the link you provided. The stuff in that link is not Christian. You are attacking the truth of the word of God with Satanic doctrines. You deny the virgin birth, you deny the deity of Christ. You make the claim that Jesus spoke to some guy named Padgett. This is new ageism. It is of the devil. You say there are only snippits of truth in the Bible. In so saying you show that Satan is always ready to use whoever he can to attack the truth of God's word.
As the Celestial Angels share in the spirit world the wonders of God's Divine Love, so do I here by the fact that I am receiving it... for over 30 years, I might add and as I'm posting this the burning love of my Father is heating up my soul... so I know from whence I speak... to know our Heavenly Father is to know that He is love and He wants everyone to know this. He is our only Father and Jesus was his son, as we are all sons and daughters of our Father, and Jesus is the Master of the Celestial Heavens... Jesus is our wonderful brother in Christ and is the highest spirit, but he is not God.

Last edited by SoCalAngel2009; 05-28-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
As the Celestial Angels share in the spirit world the wonders of God's Divine Love, so do I here by the fact that I am receiving it... for over 30 years, I might add and as I'm posting this the burning love of my Father is heating up my soul... so I know from whence I speak... to know our Heavenly Father is to know that He is love and He wants everyone to know this. He is our only Father and Jesus was his son, as we are all sons and daughters of our Father, and Jesus is the Master of the Celestial Heavens... Jesus is our wonderful brother in Christ and is the highest spirit, but he is not God.
And I thought I was having an LSD flashback........

SoCal, I will pray for you.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
And in saying these things, you show yourself to have been deceived by the god of this world. If a person doesn't recognize the deity of Christ, he doesn't believe in the Jesus Christ of the Bible. He instead has placed his faith in some other Jesus. One who has no power to save, since he doesn't exist. Those who profess to believe in Christ and yet deny His deity are not saved. They have a cultish belief. Not a Biblical belief.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 AM

26,262 posts, read 13,925,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
There's a message in that. Jesus had to separate even His flesh from the equation, just as we are to do.

Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. (John 20:17)

I didn't mean to throw a verse in there that could cause more confusion about He being different from His Father, for they are one in spirit and purpose - not something easily understood by the natural mind.
We are composed of three parts, but one unit...one Person, composed of a body, a soul and a spirit...I believe the Jews saw the soul as the mind, the thing with all its intracacies that kept the body moving and could it be that before conversion that ourselves only consisted of a body and a soul and we weren't complete until conversion until the Holy Spirit was added to the make up, thus at that point in time we became whole, three components in one?...what is everyones thoughts on that, it just popped into my head...

Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 AM

26,262 posts, read 13,925,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Funny you should bring that up.. THE BIBLE SAYS:
"Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist." 2 John 1:7

Yet where does it say that to deny God as coming in the flesh is antichrist?
If you look throughout the old testament Christ is implied in it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or