U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 PM

15,244 posts, read 8,265,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am curious about the people who post here. What is your theological or religious background?

What church, if any, are you part of? Nonchristians welcome.
I gave my heart to Jesus in 1970, at the age of nine. I've been Southern Baptist all my life. My mother says she took me to chuch for the first time at six-weeks old.

I serve as a deacon, teacher, & musician in my local church.

My father is not a believer, but my mother was faithful about our religious upbringing (I have one brother). I'm thankful to God for a Christian mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM

26,375 posts, read 13,984,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Consider this a "get to know eachother" thread. OK to ask questions, but no debate please.

I am curious about the people who post here. What is your theological or religious background?

What church, if any, are you part of? Nonchristians welcome.

Me:

Raised in an agnostic/atheist Jewish home. Discovered God at an early age. Became a Christian in college. I identify most strongly with the Presbyterian denomination, but find myself attending the local Assembly of God. Church musician/worship team-alto sax and flute.

I'd label myself an Evangelical with Pentecostal leanings.

You?
You are then a Messianic Jew?...i am of Jewish descent...

Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Five point Calvinist and Full Preterist as of 2007. Raised Protestant.
Confessed at 13, and confessed again at 27.
Luckiest regenerate.
You do know that you did not need that second confession?...you always where a believer, albeit, maybe backslidden...It is nice to know that you are a staunch Calvinist...

Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 PM

My Salvation was in march of 1986...i was raised going to church intermittantly...i was 21 when i walked into my open bay barrack one night after a base movie in Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, our ship was being overhauled, as i walked up the back stairs slowly my heart was weighed down and got heavier wuth every step...when i entered the cubicle that i shred with 3 other shipmates (a row of 4 lockers set from the wall out to the center line of the bay, with a privacy cubilce wall and within 2 double bunks), my friend jeff Molizon happened to be there, standing in front of his locker in his undershorts of all things, he greeted me and all i said was 'all right Jeff, let's go'...he responded with a grin and said 'where are we goin' rich?' and i said 'i want to get saved'...so, we sat down on my rack and he took my hand and prayed with me...it was a strange feeling and i felt a warm flow go up my arm and as soon as it hit my right shoulder it exploded into the rest of my body and at that instant i felt truly changed...Jeff had to hit the rack for his 0000 to 0400 watch on the ship...so, i wanted up to the 3rd deck of the barrack and a fellow by the name of Mac (claimed he was a former satanist, but at this stage of growth in my life, his testimony souded an awful lot like Mike Warnke's Satan Seller book)...anyway, Mac was on watch in the office and i went in and stood before him and said 'guess what happened to me'...he looked me up and down and said that he did not see anything unusual and then all of a sudden he said 'you have your Father's eyes!'...we talked for over 2.5 hours and he stopped me and said 'i notice something about you, we have talked for 2.5 hours and you have not cussed once (i was a famous curser, believe me, it was just the way i talked, even to Mac, before that night)...I had no fear of death and actually after reading John before going to sleep and discovering that Christ was God in the flesh, my first prayer was 'Loed, take me in my sleep'...i was disapointed when i woke up the next morning, a little depressed to...i started going with Jeff to an assembly of God church...eventually, i backslid, i did not think god wanted me because i could not speak in tongues and desprately prayed for it with laying on of hand and all...i wandered around still believing in God, confused though...and then one day i was reading arbitrarely in the bible in Hebrews and read chap 6 and it put a fear in my heart that not even going to sleep would shake, i woke up the next morning with that fear still there and also an anger at the trivial day to day quibbles of people when there were more important things to worry about...three days this went on and sunday, i dressed and went out to walk ...i walked past a Presbyterian, Baptist, Catholic church....i walked right up a hill street and standing on the corner i looked down and saw a lot of trees and thought it looked peaceful...as i went down i saw a church and was drawn inside...i sat through the service and was feeling better but, i needed to talk to someone...so, i looked around for someone that i felt i could speak with (everyone was shaknig hands at the end of the service) i noticed two men, one young and one old, with Jesus Is Lord pins on their lapels...i attempted to approach and speak with the older one but was ignored (found out later that he was on Meds and OCD and felt obligated to shake EVERYone's hand before leaving the church)...so, i approached the younger of the two, Ron Shipman (he is now a pastor of a church in Bangor, pa)...we sat down in the pew and talked and with logic and reason he sorta straightened out my former theological indoctrination by using scripture and then told me to come to his house every tuesday evening for study...i did...he ask ed me during the first session why i thought God had damned me for messing up one to many times...and according to my former teachings i pointed out the scriptures and i pointed out hebrews...he told me it had to mean something other than what i thought it meant, because if it meant what i thought it meant, then it contradicted other scripture (today i know what it is talking about, apostates, those who renounce their faith, especially publicly, as Moderator cut: edit reference did)...i studied under him for two years and my knowledge and faith increased immensely that when i looked back at my former walk i asked myself how i could have been that weak that long (8 years)...When i brought up my objections he logically through scripture crushed them...asking like 'ok, you think that means that, but, what does this say, etc...eventually i stopped argueing with him and we went through the gospels and particularly Romans and through the OT and NT, as i said this went on for two years...and it strengthened me with Logic and reason and systematic theology...which at first learned through Calvin's writings, but also found in other writers throughout history...i have also studied, in depth, other religions and denominational beliefs and sects and cults to see where they are coming form...comparing them to God's word...i've been through the Da Vinci Code stuff, Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baignet and others...Studied Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic to read for myself what the original scriptures said instead of taking someone elses word for it, also the history of people then and what words meant what to them and have different meanings today...and researched the background of the books afore mentioned to see if the authors were embellishing or outright lieing in order to further their work...i would say that i have an objective mind as opposed to a subjective mind knowing that corrupt man will twist things and lie for his own agenda even from the beginnnig of time...So, it brings me to toady...i am a Believer...I believe that God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent...there is nothing that he needs to learn about...He does not need to look down the corridor of time to see who would accept and who would reject...He has pre-ordained all to come to pass and will bring it to pass...i believe that God not only created the universe, but also, history, the events of man...for nothing existed without Him causing to exist and nothing happens without Him making it happen...we are a product of God's creative intelligence and it is all for his glory not ours...i believe that god does not reside outside our universe, but the universe resides within God...If nothing existed before God caused it, then that means just what it says 'NOTHING'...

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

I believe in the Elect as stated in Romans and other Epistles...I believe God has chosen an elect and passed others over according to his own desires as stated in Romans and elsewhere...

I believe that Christ was not lieing when he said 'nothing can take you out of my hand'...

He will never leave me nor forsake me...

i could go on and on....but, i believe there is enough there to see where i have come from...

Last edited by june 7th; 06-02-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM

58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
I was raised in a Christian home, and my father was deeply involved in the local AOG church. If we didn't go to church on Sundays, we had bible study at home. It was not fun, and our father never realized that he was suffocating us kids with his religion. To this day my brother won't even discuss salvation, because he overdosed on it when he was a kid. When I hit my teens, I took the broad gate and did whatever I thought was fun: drinking, parties, lying etc whatever I thought was convenient. I prayed in bed out of habit and wondered if I would go to heaven if I died. The Bible said that anyone who believes, goes to heaven, but it also says that people who lived their lives I did, would not inherit the kingdom of God. Then, when I met my wife to be (she is Christian) in my thirties, I started studying the word again, and listening to Christian radio. One day pastor Jeromiah said that even Satan believes, but he is not saved, and will go to hell. I understood that believing is more than just accepting the fact that Christ exists. It got me to examine myself and then I knew for sure that I was not saved. I gave my life to the Lord and he saved he, and changed my life. I am non-denominational, but currently attend Bible stydy twice a week at a New testament Babtist church.

My favorite poem

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-31-2010 at 06:23 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 PM

15,244 posts, read 8,265,261 times
Good story Finn_Jarber!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM

2,911 posts, read 3,901,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Had a pentecostal experiance 14 years ago when Jesus came into my home and confirmed his existence... Jesus Spirit , reminds me about the Word of God I heard from the bible and revelation that I heard over the years and these are the Word that come to here when I write on city-data replies....There is no opportunities in my Church to talk about Jesus , but it is a good Church and Jesus lead me to Go there, it is non-denominational but Jesus called here to bless all churches of Christ......
How can it be a good church if there are no opportunities to talk about Jesus there?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,459,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Five point Calvinist and Full Preterist as of 2007. Raised Protestant.
Confessed at 13, and confessed again at 27.
Luckiest regenerate.
No, I'm the luckiest regenerate!....Seriously, after all that I've said and done, I"M STILL HERE!! Thank God for second chances huh! Bless you, I understand.

Can we share the title?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,294,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
No, I'm the luckiest regenerate!....Seriously, after all that I've said and done, I"M STILL HERE!! Thank God for second chances huh! Bless you, I understand.

Can we share the title?
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
....... When I hit my teens, I took the broad gate and did whatever I thought was fun:
Great testimony Finn.....I carry that poem around in my wallet...Sober almost 4 years now.....it cuts straight to the heart!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM

574 posts, read 1,805,001 times
I was raised in a Christian home and my family was very active in a Lutheran church (LCA then, now known as ELCA). When DH and I married I joined his church, which was United Methodist. We were there for over 20 years but left because of some theological disagreements (they got on that mega church bandwagon and neither of us could handle it any longer when they began calling the church an auditorium, the altar, a stage, etc.). We are now Lutheran once again and are very happy and comfortable in that denomination.

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity