U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,685,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post

Great testimony Finn.....I carry that poem around in my wallet...Sober almost 4 years now.....it cuts straight to the heart!
God bless you. That's awesome!! I love that poem as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM

987 posts, read 878,484 times
Nice thread, tho I have read testimonies before, I tend to forget them so repeating now and then is refreshing for me.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I was raised in a Christian home, and my father was deeply involved in the local AOG church. If we didn't go to church on Sundays, we had bible study at home. It was not fun, and our father never realized that he was suffocating us kids with his religion. To this day my brother won't even discuss salvation, because he overdosed on it when he was a kid. When I hit my teens, I took the broad gate and did whatever I thought was fun: drinking, parties, lying etc whatever I thought was convenient. I prayed in bed out of habit and wondered if I would go to heaven if I died. The Bible said that anyone who believes, goes to heaven, but it also says that people who lived their lives I did, would not inherit the kingdom of God. Then, when I met my wife to be (she is Christian) in my thirties, I started studying the word again, and listening to Christian radio. One day pastor Jeromiah said that even Satan believes, but he is not saved, and will go to hell. I understood that believing is more than just accepting the fact that Christ exists. It got me to examine myself and then I knew for sure that I was not saved. I gave my life to the Lord and he saved he, and changed my life. I am non-denominational, but currently attend Bible stydy twice a week at a New testament Babtist church.

My favorite poem
Thanks for sharing Finn...this poem also happens to be my favorite. Mine is framed and hung on my wall for easy reminder.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 AM

13,854 posts, read 9,651,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have a mind set more about what I think and what Jesus thinks. It's basically a defense mechanism that has catapulted me to celeb status with the Atheist.
Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!!! You flatter yourself bro!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,297,113 times
Everyone comes from interesting religious backgrounds. Mine is a bit different. I grew up in a family that I would call secular and Christian. We celebrated the holidays and never set a foot in church. My father has a degree from Union Theological Seminary and a PHd in early church history. He taught in the history and religion dept., at a university until he retired. We had many discussions about religion in my home. But my brother and I were allowed to make up our own minds about religion. I always had something inside of me that drew me towards G-d and made me search for answers. I looked in many places and walked through many different religions until I finally found where I am supposed to be. Once I found my place it all clicked and the answers were all answered. It was as if I had came home. So now I am Jewish, and 2 of my children chose to become Jewish. My oldest one hasn't decided what he thinks or wants to be. He will probably do what I did and find his way like I did but that is ok because I think people find where they are supposed to be and then everything clicks into place.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,742,061 times
Post A 72 year old canadian christian pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Consider this a "get to know each other" thread. OK to ask questions, but no debate please.

I am curious about the people who post here. What is your theological or religious background?

What church, if any, are you part of? Nonchristians welcome.

Me:

Raised in an agnostic/atheist Jewish home. Discovered God at an early age. Became a Christian in college. I identify most strongly with the Presbyterian denomination, but find myself attending the local Assembly of God. Church musician/worship team-alto sax and flute.

I'd label myself an Evangelical with Pentecostal leanings.

You?
I'm a 72 year old Canadian Christian, happily married for 49 years, who suffered a horrific twelve year nervous breakdown (1966-78) over my inability to succesfully emotionally cope with the idea that God would let anyone suffer forever.

It is highly probable that had I not learned about the universal reconciliation point of view of the Bible, I would right now be locked up in a mental hospital for the rest of my life.

For anyone else who has had a similar experience, here (IMO) is one of the best writings to help you understand the UR (universal reconciliation) point of view of the Bible. It can be downloaded at this link free and read in its entirety online.
hopebeyondhell.org

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
Born and raised Catholic, Roman-rite, but my Dad was a convert. He had been raised Baptist, became atheist/agnostic, and then converted to Catholicism in adulthood. So he was a bit scholarly about it. My Mom had been in a family who, on her father's side, were Catholic since Napoleon or earlier and went to a Catholic school. Her mother was a convert though.

An online test I took once said I was "Neo-Traditional", which I think means something like I accept Vatican II but interpret it in a conservative way that doesn't undo all previously defined teaching. (Papal infallibility, The Immaculate Conception, Purgatory, Intercession of Saints, "excellence of the celibate state", the Seven Sacraments)

CT table
Decrees of the First Vatican Council

Note: To explain the celibacy thing this is from the Council of Trent.

CANON X.-If any one saith, that the marriage state is to be placed above the state of virginity, or of celibacy, and that it is not better and more blessed to remain in virginity, or in celibacy, than to be united in matrimony; let him be anathema.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,595,255 times
What is your theological or religious background? Grew up in a "Christian home" but did not accept Jesus until I was 16 (I remember reading somewhere that adolescence is the least group age to become Religious, something like that). Called myself a Christian, had high moral standard, but did not think like one.

What church, if any, are you part of? Have been going to C&MA for my whole life and am now going to a non-denomination church. Love it there.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,232,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I really don't give two cents what anybody else thinks. I have a mind set more about what I think and what Jesus thinks. It's basically a defense mechanism that has catapulted me to celeb status with the Atheist.
If the equivilent of online being pointing at and laughed at is the celeb status you want, continue on.

I give you a bye on most of your far fetched views though due to your youth, at 17 or 18 there is so much you don't know even about yourself, much life and the world.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,034,362 times
I grew up in an on-again/off-again Southern Baptist family in Oklahoma and Texas. I attended Sunday School and Vaction Bible School and thought I knew God and myself pretty well, until I went off to the war.

Saved in 1973, but did not actually surrender to Christ as Lord and Master of my life until the early 21st century, after a series of misadventures and failures brought on by my own pride, which landed me at the very bottom of the deepest pit.

I taught adult Sunday School until just a few weeks ago when I left the congregation of my youth and moved to a larger, more active church just down the road. The "family" church, where my grandfather was a deacon, seems to be spiritually dead, so I took the grandkids, whom I haul to church nearly every Sunday, to a place which is truly involved in the Great Commission so that they can be exposed to the idea of service to the Lord at an early age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity