Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This I know is true

Because it was God who told me so

I need not to prove anything to anyone who chooses not to believe.
what God has set before them.

Testable for others?

Certainly is, apply LOVE to every thought, deed and desire and it proves itself TRUE and passes all tests.
Ah, then it is questionable and based only on an unprovable claim.

Yes Love is ONE key, but not the only one or there would not be so many claiming to have the spirit and .... believing and claiming significantly different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 03:04 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And how does it say to test such a spirit? Specifically? How were Paul's utterances tested?
Against the Spirit of agape love (who IS God). Jesus unambiguously taught and demonstrated the Spirit who IS God as agape love. He chided His disciples when they wanted Him to rain down destruction stating they knew not what Spirit they are of. Only those corrupted by the "precepts and doctrines of men" are confused and misguided about the ONLY standard of God's truth . . . the Spirit of agape love.
Quote:
Yes Love is ONE key, but not the only one or there would not be so many claiming to have the spirit and .... believing and claiming significantly different things.
There is nothing questionable about it. It is an absolute standard of God's truth. How could it not be since God IS agape love.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Quote:

Jesus said LOVE was all that was required...

And as with all New World Translation writings, isn't all scripture UNPROVABLE except by faith?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,917 times
How do some people know that Jesus said this or that or that God is love or <fill in the blank> when God's Word is derided as a book of fiction or the works of primitive people. Or does one just look at some of the Greek Scriptures but put away the unpleasantness of other Scripture.

Even non Christians wonder what it is about "Christians" that make them doubt that which should inspire to fine works...

“You Christians look after a document containing enough dynamite to blow all civilisation to pieces, turn the world upside down and bring peace to a battle-torn planet. But you treat it as though it is nothing more than a piece of literature.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Or, do we just pay attention to those generalities/scriptures that tickle our ears? Does being an imitator of Jesus mean feeding at a smorgasbord where one picks and chooses what pleases or fits a persons desire?

I wonder if this is what Paul was referring to in 2 Timothy 4: 2-4?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
How do some people know that Jesus said this or that or that God is love or <fill in the blank> when God's Word is derided as a book of fiction or the works of primitive people. Or does one just look at some of the Greek Scriptures but put away the unpleasantness of other Scripture.

Even non Christians wonder what it is about "Christians" that make them doubt that which should inspire to fine works...

“You Christians look after a document containing enough dynamite to blow all civilisation to pieces, turn the world upside down and bring peace to a battle-torn planet. But you treat it as though it is nothing more than a piece of literature.†-Mahatma Gandhi

Or, do we just pay attention to those generalities/scriptures that tickle our ears? Does being an imitator of Jesus mean feeding at a smorgasbord where one picks and chooses what pleases or fits a persons desire?

I wonder if this is what Paul was referring to in 2 Timothy 4: 2-4?
I wonder why some Christians have given up thinking for themselves.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:46 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I wonder why some Christians have given up thinking for themselves.
Do you mean like when Eve decided to think for herself? That was the issue raised against God in Eden. Do we as mortals need to listen to Gods advice to find lasting happiness or is it better we know both sides ourselves and choose for ourself? God was correct, its better that mortals know only good.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Do you mean like when Eve decided to think for herself? That was the issue raised against God in Eden. Do we as mortals need to listen to Gods advice to find lasting happiness or is it better we know both sides ourselves and choose for ourself? God was correct, its better that mortals know only good.
Eve didn't exist. It's a story.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:50 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Eve didn't exist. It's a story.
Even if it was, who was supposed to do her thinking for her if not herself ?

As a man thinks in his heart so is he. So thinking is great when thinking the right things. There is only one true religion i guess and that is what you believe you are............ Jesus repeatedly showed the way to a fruitful fulfilling life by saying I AM. (More new age blasphemy from pcamps,crucify him)

Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Even if it was, who was supposed to do her thinking for her if not herself ?

As a man thinks in his heart so is he. So thinking is great when thinking the right things. There is only one true religion i guess and that is what you believe you are............ Jesus repeatedly showed the way to a fruitful fulfilling life by saying I AM. (More new age blasphemy from pcamps, crucify him)
...with the nails in our hand, the house can be rebuilt.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus said LOVE was all that was required...

And as with all New World Translation writings, isn't all scripture UNPROVABLE except by faith?
Where did Jesus say all that was required was "Love"?

No, all scripture is not unprovable except by faith. Not sure what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity