U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM

16,064 posts, read 9,242,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This is so altruistic...now I understand.

Thanks for sharing
Yep, that focus is an example of genuine love for God and neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:45 PM

20,554 posts, read 22,721,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, that focus is an example of genuine love for God and neighbor.
So I should pray--

God, who art in heaven

Hallowed by your name

I will do your will

and feed the hungry

Clothe the poor

and house the homeless

Build soup kitchens

and visit the least of these in PRISON

\BUT IT IS GOING TO COST YOU BIG TIME''
And the REWARDS had better be REALLY REALLY GOOD

After all,

This altruism is really hard work

And takes away from my stock investments

And makes it difficult to mange my slaves who labor to create my wealth

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So I should pray--

God, who art in heaven

Hallowed by your name

I will do your will

and feed the hungry

Clothe the poor

and house the homeless

Build soup kitchens

and visit the least of these in PRISON

\BUT IT IS GOING TO COST YOU BIG TIME''
And the REWARDS had better be REALLY REALLY GOOD

After all,

This altruism is really hard work

And takes away from my stock investments

And makes it difficult to mange my slaves who labor to create my wealth

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
No,

Try Matt 6:9,10.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,452,829 times
Quote:
This is so altruistic...now I understand.

Thanks for sharing
Being focused on the will of God by disowning ones self--Few can do it. What do you think the good news of Gods kingdom is all about--- a system, ruled by Gods authority--mortals knowing only good, living forever in good health, never aging.( like the body does now)-- food for everyone, pure harmony between all things( the wolf will lay beside the lamb) every motive of the human heart towards a fellow human will be out of love--not greed,self,hate, etc, like we find in this satan controlled system of things. Any reasonable thinking person would assuredly want this. Not just for self, but for as many as possible.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The prize = life everlasting--anyone with sense desires this. Not just for self but for as many as possible. That is why going door to door with the good news of Gods kingdom is the most important work ever on this earth.
Silly me!

'Here I thought the MOST IMPORTANT work was FEEDING the hungry, sheltering the homeless, Clothing the POOR, fighting for the marginalized, showing MERCY to the oppressed, DEMANDING JUSTICE for the least of us, and LOVING our neighbors.

Is this why I was disowned by so many JWKH???

Old 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Silly me!

'Here I thought the MOST IMPORTANT work was FEEDING the hungry, sheltering the homeless, Clothing the POOR, fighting for the marginalized, showing MERCY to the oppressed, DEMANDING JUSTICE for the least of us, and LOVING our neighbors.

Nope, because those are temporary fixes and the Kingdom is a permanent one. The other things are done, but Jesus gave a specific command AND in the Lord's prayer the priority of each. He knows best.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Nope, because those are temporary fixes and the Kingdom is a permanent one. The other things are done, but Jesus gave a specific command AND in the Lord's prayer the priority of each. He knows best.
Yes he does, is that why He called LOVE GOD and LOVE NEIGHBOR the TWO GREATEST commandments??

Why do so many want to ignore the TWO greatest commandments in favor or works=rewards, when all the thief did was acknowledge Christ;s innocence and he was given eternal life?

The thief NEVER knocked on ANY door...

Old 07-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yes he does, is that why He called LOVE GOD and LOVE NEIGHBOR the TWO GREATEST commandments??

Why do so many want to ignore the TWO greatest commandments in favor or works=rewards, when all the thief did was acknowledge Christ;s innocence and he was given eternal life?

The thief NEVER knocked on ANY door...
Notice it says love God FIRST? That includes obeying His Son. In fact if you listen to Jesus he speaks of another command a ... new command. Gotta obey that one too and all others he gives.

Works has nothing to do with it, but obedience to those commands does. Not ignoring them rather obeying them. The thief already knew who Jesus was, repented by indicating he deserved to die and turned to Jesus. That is all he could do as he was hanging there about to die. Now if you get nailed up that way, his would be a good example to follow, If not maybe follow Peter's example, or Paul's or John's or .... even Jesus' example. Any works of any kind MUST flow from Love of God and love of neighbor. Jesus tells us what the best way to do that is so we don't rely on what we think that may be and ... are wrong. He lists good works toward others, but good works toward God comes first. Try the Lords prayer and notice the order of priorities. It is always wise to listen to Jesus, not just read the words.

Note; most people ignore the first and reduce what is involved in the second of the two that Jesus first identified.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:43 PM

37,496 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Notice it says love God FIRST? That includes obeying His Son. In fact if you listen to Jesus he speaks of another command a ... new command. Gotta obey that one too and all others he gives.
Works has nothing to do with it, but obedience to those commands does. Not ignoring them rather obeying them. The thief already knew who Jesus was, repented by indicating he deserved to die and turned to Jesus. That is all he could do as he was hanging there about to die. Now if you get nailed up that way, his would be a good example to follow, If not maybe follow Peter's example, or Paul's or John's or .... even Jesus' example. Any works of any kind MUST flow from Love of God and love of neighbor. Jesus tells us what the best way to do that is so we don't rely on what we think that may be and ... are wrong. He lists good works toward others, but good works toward God comes first. Try the Lords prayer and notice the order of priorities. It is always wise to listen to Jesus, not just read the words.
Note; most people ignore the first and reduce what is involved in the second of the two that Jesus first identified.
Obey, obey, obey! What utter nonsense thinking we are supposed to spend our lives as obedient pets in obedience trials. Time to grow up and achieve a mature understanding of our relationship to God as His CHILDREN . . . NOT His obedient pets. God wants our love and maturity . . . NOT obedience.

Your understanding of God's nature and motives is primitive and barbaric. Do you NOT see how God requiring a horrendous scourging and crucifixion to forgive is as removed from love as possible? If you don't, you have no clue what love is nor who God is. It is a barbaric and savage belief system that actually thinks sacrificing innocent animals or people would appease God for anything!! Why on earth would any modern civilized human beings believe such barbarity?

God forgives by forgiving, period. The ancient ignorance and savagery should have long ago disappeared from civilized thinking about God. I cannot understand WHY people are not completely offended by those who profess to be Christian but follow a corrupt message of wrath, vengeance, judgment of sin, blood sacrifice and appeasement . . . instead of the message of agape love, reconciliation and God not counting our sins against us that Christ unambiguously demonstrated.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:24 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,452,829 times
Quote:
Silly me!

All who listen to Jesus aren't hungry, or homeless, or lack clothes--they applied this--Matt 6:33( the permanent fix to those things)= Therefore, keep on seeking -FIRST- the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added( sustenance, covering, spirituality)--you seemed to have missed how important spirituality is to one, just as important as food and clothes. maybe even the most important of the 3.
So just by teaching a single teaching is not the most important work being done-- teaching one to live by every utterance from God as Jesus said man needs to do is much more important. Then they learn how to do Gods will 24/7-365--and that will is the work Jesus started--the preaching of the good news of Gods kingdom worldwide--it is being accomplished now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity