Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,389,846 times

Advertisements

In Watchtower's publication, You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth, 1989, page 190 under the heading ONE TRUE RELIGION, it asks a question regarding who are the ones who form the body of true worshipers today? Then, it answers this question stating without hesitation that the Jehovah's Witnesses are true worshipers of God.

What is your feeling about them believing that they are the only true religion or worshipers of God?

For me, the bible doesn't teach that there is only one true religion, but it does teach that Jesus is the way the truth, and the life, and no man can come to the Father, but by Him John 14:6. Did they some how leap frog over Jesus to think that they only way to God is through the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society better known as Jehovah's Witnesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 PM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times
So what I want to know is this: What part of your question is really your question? Do you want to know if there is really one true religion? Or is this just an excuse to bash the Jehovah's Witnesses under the pretext of discussing another issue?

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-28-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 PM

783 posts, read 1,321,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Did they some how leap frog over Jesus to think that they only way to God is through the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society better known as Jehovah's Witnesses?
In a sense that is exactly what they do, they deny Christ’s Deity.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So what I want to know is this: What part of your question is really your question? Do you want to know if there is really one true religion? Or is this just an excuse to bash the Jehovah's Witnesses under the pretext of discussing another issue?
What makes you think that I am bashing them? I quoted right out of their own publication. If you think that I am bashing them for asking a simple question, then I guess you are in agreement with them then. When any religion can be quoted right from its own publication regarding beeing the only true worshipers of God,it just makes one go who's not a member of that religion feel as if they are saying that my religion or your religion is missing the mark, and that they are the only ones who got it right. So in a sense, they are bashing all of us who are not members of their religion, and that's my reason for starting this thread, not so much to bash on them, but to start dialogue about this question.

Last edited by antredd; 05-28-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 05:50 AM

9,662 posts, read 9,918,144 times
No matter what religion people are going to, the true worshipers of the Lord God worship is spirit and truth, so if we worship in the spirit the Lord provided us and the truth the Lord provided us than this will be received in Heaven.......

Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
No matter what religion people are going to, the true worshipers of the Lord God worship is spirit and truth, so if we worship in the spirit the Lord provided us and the truth the Lord provided us than this will be received in Heaven.......
Exactly! I am a christian first, who happens to attend a Baptist church. But my church doesn't teach us that by going to a Baptist church we are the only ones who have it right. NO MAN OR RELIGION has God in its pocket-this is a tactic of the devil cause he wants all of us to be caught up in denonminationalism, religiousim (if that's a word), materialism, and any other ism that is not of God.

All we can do as believers is try to be as humanly possible acceptable in God's sight, and the only way we can do that is by studying God's word, meditating on it, realizing that we CAN'T do anything on our own which requires us to realize how we need a Savior in our lives, and accepting Gods Grace through his Son.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
What makes you think that I am bashing them?
I was just asking. You seemed to be asking a legitimate question (i.e. Is there only one true religion?) but your focus didn't seems to be on addressing that question, but on finding fault with them.

Quote:
I quoted right out of their own publication.
Where? I didn't see a quote in your post.

Quote:
If you think that I am bashing them for asking a simple question, then I guess you are in agreement with them then.
Well, to some extent I am. How can more than one church be 100% true when they teach contradictory things? Mathematically, they can't. Look at it this way. Let's say you have 100 points of doctrine, from how baptisms should be performed to whether it is possible to lose one's salvation. Every denomination takes a stand of some sort on every one of these 100 points of doctrine. If any two of these denominations agreed on all 100 points, they wouldn't be separate denominations at all. So all 32,000+ denominations in existence today disagree on at least one point of doctrine, and it's impossible for more than one of them to be 100% right. (It's also possible that none of them are.)

Quote:
When any religion can be quoted right from its own publication regarding beeing the only true worshipers of God,it just makes one go who's not a member of that religion feel as if they are saying that my religion or your religion is missing the mark, and that they are the only ones who got it right. So in a sense, they are bashing all of us who are not members of their religion, and that's my reason for starting this thread, not so much to bash on them, but to start dialogue about this question.
I don't think the point is to make people feel that way. If there was one true church, why would anyone not want to be a part of it? Why would anyone want to settle for 75% accurate doctrine or 87% accurate doctrine or 99% doctrine? It's not so much a matter of everyone else being "wrong," but more a matter of who has the highest percentage, so to speak, of truth.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I was just asking. You seemed to be asking a legitimate question (i.e. Is there only one true religion?) but your focus didn't seems to be on addressing that question, but on finding fault with them.

Where? I didn't see a quote in your post.

Well, to some extent I am. How can more than one church be 100% true when they teach contradictory things? Mathematically, they can't. Look at it this way. Let's say you have 100 points of doctrine, from how baptisms should be performed to whether it is possible to lose one's salvation. Every denomination takes a stand of some sort on every one of these 100 points of doctrine. If any two of these denominations agreed on all 100 points, they wouldn't be separate denominations at all. So all 32,000+ denominations in existence today disagree on at least one point of doctrine, and it's impossible for more than one of them to be 100% right. (It's also possible that none of them are.)

I don't think the point is to make people feel that way. If there was one true church, why would anyone not want to be a part of it? Why would anyone want to settle for 75% accurate doctrine or 87% accurate doctrine or 99% doctrine? It's not so much a matter of everyone else being "wrong," but more a matter of who has the highest percentage, so to speak, of truth.
The point I am making is that no church nor any religion has God in its pocket. We all want to grow closer to God, and by fellowshipping with believers who understand the bible as we do, helps us glorify Him since the bible teaches that we should assemble ourselves to edify one another and to encourage one another.
As far as the quote, here is what it says:

[i]It is only logical that there would be one true religion. This is in harmony with the fact that the true God is a God, 'not of disorder, but of peace.' (1Corinthians 14:33) The Bible says that actually there is only 'one faith.' (Ephesians 4:5) Who then, are the ones who form the body of true worshipers today?

We do not hesitate to say that they are Jehovah's Witnesses. For you to be convinced of this we invite you to become better acquainted with them. The best way to do this is to attend their meetings at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Since the Bible shows that practicing true religion brings great contentment now and opens the way to enjoy everlasting life in paradise on earth, it surely will be worth your while to make sun an investigation.
(You Can Live Forever in Paradise, 1982, 1989 p. 190)[/
I] (Emphasis added)

As far as different doctrines of the churches are concerned, what we have to get right as christians is knowing that JESUS IS THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE, and no man can come to the father but through him. Personally, I don't care what religion anyone is in the christian body, since Christ is the head of all christian denonminations. I can tell you why us Baptist believe in water immersion baptism. It was the way Jesus was baptized, and thus we follow his example that was set. But if my memory is right, Paul didn't baptize some of the early christians by immersion, in the book of Acts, so it's nothing to be totally divided over. Different denominations call their church officers different names. Baptists we call our leader Pastor, some other denominations call their leaders Elders or Bishop, but both are scriptural titles. The main point that I am trying to emphasize is how we all need Jesus and keep our attention on Him. He through the Holy Spirit's help will help all of us increase in the knowlege of God if we want it.

There is no one true church (denomination), and I hope you aren't thinking that I am alluding to that by starting this thread. The true church is not a church building anyway. We, the body of believers, who have accepted Jesus as our personal savior make up the true church, that is, if you are truly God's. I don't know that, you have to know that are you in the faith. In fact the bible makes it quite clear to Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?2 Corinthians 13:5

With that said, I just hope you are in that number, and not putting your religion over Jesus. We already have been warned about the Pharasees, and yet we have history repeating itself when many religions and denonminations thinking that they are the ONLY ONES truly worshiping God because they seem to think that all that they have to do is just follow this long laundry lists of do's and don'ts, put down other religions for not believing like them, and that some how makes them better or special. In my opinion, that kind of thinking is arrogant, it's also very prideful, and God isn't being glorified when we put our religion over him. It just makes one go HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Last edited by antredd; 05-29-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The point I am making is that no church nor any religion has God in its pocket. We all want to grow closer to God, and by fellowshipping with believers who understand the bible as we do, helps us glorify Him since the bible teaches that we should assemble ourselves to edify one another and to encourage one another.
I could not agree more.

Quote:
As far as the quote, here is what it says:

[i]It is only logical that there would be one true religion. This is in harmony with the fact that the true God is a God, 'not of disorder, but of peace.' (1Corinthians 14:33) The Bible says that actually there is only 'one faith.' (Ephesians 4:5) Who then, are the ones who form the body of true worshipers today?

We do not hesitate to say that they are Jehovah's Witnesses. For you to be convinced of this we invite you to become better acquainted with them. The best way to do this is to attend their meetings at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Since the Bible shows that practicing true religion brings great contentment now and opens the way to enjoy everlasting life in paradise on earth, it surely will be worth your while to make sun an investigation.
(You Can Live Forever in Paradise, 1982, 1989 p. 190)[/I] (Emphasis added)
Thank you.

Quote:
As far as different doctrines of the churches are concerned, what we have to get right as christians is knowing that JESUS IS THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE, and no man can come to the father but through him.
Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. I would agree that knowing that "Jesus is the way, the truth and the life" is the most important part of His gospel, but I am not absolutely convinced that that's all that is important for us to know.

Quote:
There is no one true church (denomination), and I hope you aren't thinking that I am alluding to that by starting this thread. The true church is not a church building anyway. We, the body of believers, who have accepted Jesus as our personal savior make up the true church, that is, if you are truly God's. I don't know that, you have to know that are you in the faith. In fact the bible makes it quite clear to Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?2 Corinthians 13:5
Well, I commend you for your open-minded attitude. I realize that the "true church" is not a building. On the other hand, I recognize that there is a difference between what some would call the invisible church (i.e. the body of believers) and the visible church (i.e. the organizational church Christ established).

Quote:
With that said, I just hope you are in that number, and not putting your religion over Jesus.
I believe I am, and I agree that no religion is greater than its founder. That would be ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM

312 posts, read 864,643 times
Quote:
For me, the bible doesn't teach that there is only one true religion, but it does teach that Jesus is the way the truth, and the life, and no man can come to the Father, but by Him John 14:6. Did they some how leap frog over Jesus to think that they only way to God is through the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society better known as Jehovah's Witnesses?

Antredd, didn't you read the first 189 pages?

Last edited by DiJay; 05-29-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity