Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:19 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
What I have been thinking is that the scriptures that say that Jesus came from the Father and that he is the Son of his Father give us the relationship between them -- it is not like a marriage making to different things "one" in purpose -- it is that Jesus IS the son of his Father.
I definitely believe that Jesus is the Son of His Father. In fact, I probably hold to a more literal meaning of that statement than most Christians, so in that regard you're right. It's not like a marriage where two individuals of equal station come together to form a union. But I think it is like a marriage (or what a marriage should be) in terms of complete unity of will and purpose. What the Father wants, the Son wants. How the Father thinks, the Son thinks. In other words, their oneness is absolute. There is no contention between them -- ever. That's more or less what I was trying to say with the "now you two are one" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I definitely believe that Jesus is the Son of His Father. In fact, I probably hold to a more literal meaning of that statement than most Christians, so in that regard you're right. It's not like a marriage where two individuals of equal station come together to form a union. But I think it is like a marriage (or what a marriage should be) in terms of complete unity of will and purpose. What the Father wants, the Son wants. How the Father thinks, the Son thinks. In other words, their oneness is absolute. There is no contention between them -- ever. That's more or less what I was trying to say with the "now you two are one" thing.
Why I do not believe in the "trinity" is that where it says that Jesus came from his Father they sort of think that means that he was always a separate entity eternally --- but I do not see how that fits with a Father/son relationship.......

I do believe in the divinity of Jesus just not in the trinity, him being a third part of separate beings/persons making up an eternal "trinity"

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-29-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I do believe in the divinity of Jesus just not in the trinity, him being the third part of separate beings/persons making up an eternal "trinity"
Did you mean to say the second part or the third part? I too believe in His absolute divinity, but that He is the second of three separate beings. I would even be okay with the word "Trinity" except for its ties to the Nicene Creed, which I do not believe in.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Did you mean to say the second part or the third part? I too believe in His absolute divinity, but that He is the second of three separate beings. I would even be okay with the word "Trinity" except for its ties to the Nicene Creed, which I do not believe in.
A meant (a) third part.

I believe that he came FROM his Father literally/spiritually

In scripture when it says this day have I begotten to beget means that it was not and then it was - I believe that Jesus is of the essence of God

In John 1.1 In the beginning was THE WORD ..... which is the expression

Old 05-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
A meant (a) third part.

I believe that he came FROM his Father literally/spiritually

In scripture when it says this day have I begotten to beget means that it was not and then it was - I believe that Jesus is of the essence of God

In John 1.1 In the beginning was THE WORD ..... which is the expression
So do you mean that you don't believe Jesus was with His Father in the beginning? Before the creation of this world?

Old 05-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
So do you mean that you don't believe Jesus was with His Father in the beginning? Before the creation of this world?
What I notice it say IN the beginning not prior to the beginning, and else where in scripture it says that Jesus is the beginning of Gods creation doesn't it.

I need to go out -- will be back to discuss this

Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
What I notice it say IN the beginning not prior to the beginning, and else where in scripture it says that Jesus is the beginning of Gods creation doesn't it.

I need to go out -- will be back to discuss this
Interesting. I'm the only person I know of who ever refers to a time before the beginning. I believe that Jesus was with His Father in the beginning but that He was spiritually begotten prior to the beginning. Are you saying that's what you believe too?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I'm the only person I know of who ever refers to a time before the beginning. I believe that Jesus was with His Father in the beginning but that He was spiritually begotten prior to the beginning. Are you saying that's what you believe too?
How I see it is God is the only one prior to the beginning..... Jesus is THE WORD Gods expression, his image, that comes into the world, what God spoke in that sense he came from the Father and God begot him spiritually.

I do not have a set 'doctrine' I have thoughts on what is actually said and what it means, I made a thread on Jesus is the light of the world where I was asking what people thought but did not get much action on it, and I wonder if the spirit of man that God breathed into the dust of earth is a part of THE WORD

Old 05-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
How I see it is God is the only one prior to the beginning..... Jesus is THE WORD Gods expression, his image, that comes into the world, what God spoke in that sense he came from the Father and God begot him spiritually.
So at what point do you believe Jesus first came into existence? Was it at His birth?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Could you explain that in a little more detail? I mean, is the Father God? Is the Son God? Is the Holy Ghost God? It seems to me that if you have "three persons" and each of them is divine, you have three Gods, and that calling three "one" is really just confusing. I mean, we know that the Bible says that they are "one." The question really becomes, "In what way are they one?" Because in some way, we know that they are also three.
Mike explained better than I can in his post #14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity