Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a 3-in-1 God?
Yes 45 56.96%
No 34 43.04%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God is a Spirit , God is Holy , God is our Father, how come you see 3 of anything ? .

Jrsus clearly told us that God is one and not triune .

Hear o Israel the Lord our God is one God.
Amen camps, good scripture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And I like the diagram.

It's absolutely amazing, though not surprising, how even though the Bible states it outright that Jesus Christ is God, there are people who simply refuse to believe it. And the Holy Spirit is identified as a Person, not a force or attribute, and again, many people deny it.
I've been asking to see this "the Bible states it outright that Jesus Christ is God" proof for as long as I've been a member of C-D.... Have yet to see it but still the claim is there...

So where does the Bible state outright that Jesus is God?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:13 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
Well, yeah... It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, too, and yet I hold the opposite opinion.

Quote:
The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches.
Quote:
The doctrine of the Trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list.
Yes, the scriptures state exactly what you say they do. Now, show me one that says they are 3-in-1.

Quote:
Please excuse me for being hard nosed on this issue, but IMO if the Bible says the ski is blue in plain Greek then I just say OK. The Bible says the ski is blue and I don't try to expain it away. I submit to God's word even tho I might not understand it 100%.
And if the Bible said God is 3-in-1, I'd believe it. The problem is, it doesn't. Anywhere.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
most grasp the father and son, the holy ghost for most is a mystery.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

[color=black][font=Arial]And if the Bible said God is 3-in-1, I'd believe it. The problem is, it doesn't. Anywhere.
So if the Bible says that Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God that doesn't work for you?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think if you try and dwell on this too much it becomes confusing. Honestly, none of us can really understand and everything is assumption and surmising beyond believing that God is One, but has three parts.
I must agree with this sentiment.

Trinitarians can run in circles all day trying to make their points and others can run behind them showing the obvious contradictions. The result is a bunch of dizzy people.

We all understand that Jesus is God's unique son which also what the bible clearly says.

Though not a trinitarian my view can also be just as mysterious as the trinity - not worth arguing over.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I've been asking to see this "the Bible states it outright that Jesus Christ is God" proof for as long as I've been a member of C-D.... Have yet to see it but still the claim is there...

So where does the Bible state outright that Jesus is God?
Open your mind:
There are a number of scriptures that state the same attribute for God and Jesus. Jesus and God cannot both possess these particular attributes, unless they are one and the same.

Compare what is said about God and Jesus:

As Creator of all things:
God: Genesis 1:1
Jesus: Colossians 1:16

As Savior
God: Isaiah 43:11
Jesus: Titus 3:6

The Alpha and Omega:
God: Revelation 21:6
Jesus: Revelation 22:13

The First and the Last:
God: Isaiah 44:6
Jesus: Revelation 1:17 & 2:8

Every Knee Shall Bow to me:

God: Isaiah 45:23
Jesus: Philippians 2:10-11

Read John 10:30-33 --Jesus said, I and My Father are one.”
Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?” The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

See what the Jews said in reaction to Jesus saying He and the Father were one. They knew what Jesus meant.

And look at what the Jews said in Luke 5:20-25--When Jesus saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.” And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

The Jews were correct in saying that only God can forgive sins.

We have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1--In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And then John 1:14-- And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. (bear in mind that God can be in two or more places at once.)

Phil 2:5-8 says: Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

1Tim 3:16 says: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:

God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory. (NKJV)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The same way H2O can be a solid, a liquid, & a gas.
Similar to the egg.

There is a shell, yolk, and white matter.

The concept of the trinity is a matter of faith.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
People, People. Try explaining your religious beliefs to an atheist and he just looks at you funny. Three in one is a difficult concept, but let's face it, to a non-believer, you already believe in a lot of ridiculous stuff, so why not the Trinity, too.

Besides, the early Christians came together and determined that the Trinity was real. While the early writings and Bible don't mention Trinity by name, it does mention all three. So today, we have the Nicene creed to guide our beliefs. All was revealed by Christ, but not everything was understood right away. Sometimes, it takes time.

The doctrine of the Trinity is an orthodox Christian belief. Anything else is just generic can of green beans.

More info on Catholic beliefs of the Trinity:
http://www.catholic.com/library/Trinity.asp

Last edited by juj; 05-31-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches. The doctrine of the Trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list.

But if one decides otherwise or "interprets" certain scriptures to say otherwise then one can decide the Trinity doctrine is incorrect.

Please excuse me for being hard nosed on this issue, but IMO if the Bible says the ski is blue in plain Greek then I just say OK. The Bible says the ski is blue and I don't try to expain it away. I submit to God's word even tho I might not understand it 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity