U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you believe in a 3-in-1 God?
Yes 45 57.69%
No 33 42.31%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,292,342 times
Reputation: 420

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
most grasp the father and son, the holy ghost for most is a mystery.
Because without believing in the Triune God, IMO I feel that intergral part of God, is not in them, thus, God is not "all in all" with them.

What does "all in all" really imply?

All of Him, Father Son and Holy Spirit in you.

All that makes up God.....in you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2010, 01:33 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,398,344 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Open your mind:
There are a number of scriptures that state the same attribute for God and Jesus. Jesus and God cannot both possess these particular attributes, unless they are one and the same.

Compare what is said about God and Jesus:


As Creator of all things:
God: Genesis 1:1
Jesus: Colossians 1:16
"because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created,"

What is created? New things? Old things? All things?

The NEW Heavens and NEW earth of course! Through Christ GOD made all things new. Pretty elementary given the rest of the chapter. Paul sets it up by saying "For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins."

and then finishes with the same theme...


"So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ. That’s why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me."

Seems that using Christ and God in the same sentence would normally tell us they are not the same being... why does it not affect you the same way?

Quote:
As Savior
God: Isaiah 43:11
Jesus: Titus 3:6
Perhaps you made a typo here? Titus is talking about pouring out the HS.

Quote:
The Alpha and Omega:
God: Revelation 21:6
Jesus: Revelation 22:13
First and last... that is what alpha and omega are, right?

Quote:
The First and the Last:
God: Isaiah 44:6
Jesus: Revelation 1:17 & 2:8
Hmmmm.... An only child is usually first and last... and so God can be said to be first and last. That doesn't mean they have to be the same entity.

Quote:
Every Knee Shall Bow to me:

God: Isaiah 45:23
Jesus: Philippians 2:10-11
And yet God gives authority to Jesus and it is given back to God. Jesus' God qualities are temporary according to scripture... So that God will be all in all.

****************
Quote:
Read John 10:30-33 --Jesus said, I and My Father are one.”
So are my husband and I... yet we are not the same person.

Quote:
Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?” The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”
If he had claimed to be God the punishment would have been to kill him not to attempt to stone him.

Notice Jesus replies with:
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are gods’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

Quote:
See what the Jews said in reaction to Jesus saying He and the Father were one. They knew what Jesus meant.
Actually that is how you see it but that is in error. Notice Jesus himself states the blasphemy was for saying HE IS GOD"S SON... not GOD!

Therefore your premise is flawed. What the Jews understood was that Jesus was proclaiming himself a prophet using a quote from Psalms and by saying he is God's son. That was enough for them to cry blasphemy.

Quote:
And look at what the Jews said in Luke 5:20-25--When Jesus saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.” And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

The Jews were correct in saying that only God can forgive sins.
Yet don't you forgive your neighbor when he sins against you? So only God can forgive sins? I forgive sins all the time. A person sins against you and you state... I forgive you. Are you then God as well?

Quote:
We have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1--In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And then John 1:14-- And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. (bear in mind that God can be in two or more places at once.)
Once again using the latter verse and going back and inserting Jesus in as the word when a word is not a person! Just think about John writing this. He parallels the Genesis creation with the creation of the new heavens and earth through Christ. Christ CARRIED the word of God. John 10:35

Quote:
Phil 2:5-8 says: Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
Notice the key words. THOUGHT IT NOT ROBBERY.... So in other words he was GIVEN EQUALITY WITH GOD because he is God's servant to the point of death. God GAVE Jesus everything he had because Jesus WAS NOT GOD. Would this need to be explained if Jesus was God? Why wouldn't God be equal to God???

Absolutely nothing you have presented proves the trinity or that Jesus is God in the flesh. You will have to do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,398,344 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Because without believing in the Triune God, IMO I feel that intergral part of God, is not in them, thus, God is not "all in all" with them.

What does "all in all" really imply?

All of Him, Father Son and Holy Spirit in you.

All that makes up God.....in you.
Actually God is ALL in ALL.... There aren't any other God's but one. Not 3 in 1 but one. If God is in us the way God was in Jesus (all in all) then we are all gods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Seward, Alaska
2,739 posts, read 7,651,276 times
Reputation: 1963
I didn't answer the poll, because I am a little concerned that the poll results may not be accurate, because the wording "do you believe in a 3-in-1 God" may be confusing to some. IE: I think some of those who answered "yes" actually meant "yes, I do believe in the trinity...three seperate persons". Or a "no" vote meant "no, I don't believe in a trinity, there is only one person, not three, making up the Godhead"

Anyway, I believe the "Godhead" is indeed a trinity of three seperate persons, not "one person with three attributes". The three persons are ONE in the sense that they are in perfect agreement in all things. So is God God, is Jesus God, and is the Holy Spirit God? Yes, they are!

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Wa
5,302 posts, read 5,292,342 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually God is ALL in ALL.... There aren't any other God's but one. Not 3 in 1 but one. If God is in us the way God was in Jesus (all in all) then we are all gods!
You are wrong Kat. The scriptures speaks volumes against your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,276 posts, read 20,017,000 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Because without believing in the Triune God, IMO I feel that intergral part of God, is not in them, thus, God is not "all in all" with them.

What does "all in all" really imply?

All of Him, Father Son and Holy Spirit in you.

All that makes up God.....in you.
You are clearly breaking God up in portions, God who is Spirit is our Father (Jesus's words) is Holy .Surely this is not difficult to understand.

I really believe that the trinity is believed because orthodox christianity is ignorant of the Holy Spirit in our lives (it just has some kind of intelectual understanding) , they pray to a God who is up in the sky , rather than to the God who lives in us.


So it basically believes there is a God in the sky (#1 god) , intelectually believes that they have the Holy Spirit (#2 god) because the bible says and that Jesus (#3 god) is in heaven with # 1 god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,752 posts, read 47,576,640 times
Reputation: 17637
I am a Christian.

I study the Bible. I endeavour to put on each doctrine and way of life that I can find in the Bible presented as 'godly'.

Our Lord God is one. There is none other.

I can not find any Bible passage or context which lays out any such doctrine as trinity. I do however find hundreds of passages which would seem to refute any polytheist doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,281 posts, read 20,922,051 times
Reputation: 9966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I didn't answer the poll, because I am a little concerned that the poll results may not be accurate, because the wording "do you believe in a 3-in-1 God" may be confusing to some. IE: I think some of those who answered "yes" actually meant "yes, I do believe in the trinity...three seperate persons". Or a "no" vote meant "no, I don't believe in a trinity, there is only one person, not three, making up the Godhead"

Anyway, I believe the "Godhead" is indeed a trinity of three seperate persons, not "one person with three attributes". The three persons are ONE in the sense that they are in perfect agreement in all things. So is God God, is Jesus God, and is the Holy Spirit God? Yes, they are!

Bud
Bud, I know the wording was awkward. It's really hard to explain what you mean sometimes, but I voted "no" becasue I believe exactly as you do, that they are three persons who are one in the sense that you described. So, if you wouldn't mind voting "no" if you come back and read this, it would be an accurate vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 AM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,104,756 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The same could be said about the Doe family... John, Jane, Johnnie...

John is a Doe, Jane is a Doe, Johnnie is a Doe but John is not Jane and Jane is not Johnnie and Johnnie is not John....

Yet they are all Doe's.... Problem? They have the same LAST NAME and the same FAMILY but they are not three in one.

In the Trinity is God the surname?
No not at all. You seem to forget that God can do anything, even reveal his oneness in three persons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 AM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,104,756 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And I like the diagram.

It's absolutely amazing, though not surprising, how even though the Bible states it outright that Jesus Christ is God, there are people who simply refuse to believe it. And the Holy Spirit is identified as a Person, not a force or attribute, and again, many people deny it.
Thanks Mike, and keep letting the Lord use you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top