U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,869 times

Advertisements

Iím a 22 year old male thatís been a Christian my whole life. I stayed a virgin until I was just under 21 years old by my own choice (it wasnít easy). But now Iíve started to become very good at attracting women.

My question is, King David and Solomon had multiple wives/concubines and they were favourites of God, so why is it a sin now?

No actually my real question is: how can pre-marital sex be considered a sin now since the rules have changed since their timesÖ in fact I would have no problem not having sex until marriage if I could marry over 100 women and have plenty of concubines. So the rule of ďpre-marital sex being viewed as immoralĒ holds an entirely different value/weight in this day. Thus how can we even say that that rule is still relevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,924,671 times
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

This is one of the ten commandments. It means do not have sex with anyone outside of a marriage relationship of one man and one woman. The law is to not have sex out of the marriage relationship. However only is it implied that a man should marry one woman as given in the marriage formula in Genesis when God presented Eve to Adam. That is why in the past men have had many wives to circumvent the law. This was wrong. The law in most modern countries is that you can only be married to one person at a time and must divorce before marrying again.

David and Solomon had multiple wives and concubines. Solomon was blessed by God because of David and because he chose wisdom to rule the people instead of riches. God was pleased with Solomons choice here. David was a man after God's own heart, because he loved God and the things of God. When David sinned he repented of the sin. Just read the Psalms and you will hear a man who loves God and his commandments.

Now can you imagine the lives of these two great kings if they not only obeyed the law, but the spirit of the law. They would have been superlative.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,924,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder1087 View Post
Iím a 22 year old male thatís been a Christian my whole life. I stayed a virgin until I was just under 21 years old by my own choice (it wasnít easy). But now Iíve started to become very good at attracting women.

My question is, King David and Solomon had multiple wives/concubines and they were favourites of God, so why is it a sin now?

No actually my real question is: how can pre-marital sex be considered a sin now since the rules have changed since their timesÖ in fact I would have no problem not having sex until marriage if I could marry over 100 women and have plenty of concubines. So the rule of ďpre-marital sex being viewed as immoralĒ holds an entirely different value/weight in this day. Thus how can we even say that that rule is still relevant?
BTW, I was 25 when I had sex with my wife after we were married. It is not a big deal to wait. It is not difficult. I have a huge sex drive and have always been able to attract women. But I loved God more then my own desires.

And, just because the times have changed does not mean that the truth has changed or the concequences of sin. The rules have not changed since God formed them in the beginning. The rules are the same.

The only person you can have sex with is the person you are married too and only after the marriage ceremony.

A marriage as defined by God in the book of Genesis in the bible is one man and one woman. Any other attempt to redefine this relationship is void. I don't care if you can get the pope to do the ceremony any other marriage is evil, whether it be two men marrying or two woman marrying or A man and his dog or a Woman and her horse, etc, etc. They are all evil!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

This is one of the ten commandments. It means do not have sex with anyone outside of a marriage relationship of one man and one woman. The law is to not have sex out of the marriage relationship. However only is it implied that a man should marry one woman as given in the marriage formula in Genesis when God presented Eve to Adam. That is why in the past men have had many wives to circumvent the law. This was wrong. The law in most modern countries is that you can only be married to one person at a time and must divorce before marrying again.

David and Solomon had multiple wives and concubines. Solomon was blessed by God because of David and because he chose wisdom to rule the people instead of riches. God was pleased with Solomons choice here. David was a man after God's own heart, because he loved God and the things of God. When David sinned he repented of the sin. Just read the Psalms and you will hear a man who loves God and his commandments.

Now can you imagine the lives of these two great kings if they not only obeyed the law, but the spirit of the law. They would have been superlative.
So basically what you are saying is that David and Solomon did in fact circumvented/broke God's law on adultery by having that many wives... so if I sleep with more than one woman (as they did) I'm not braking the law any worse than God's most favorite and most blessed leaders in the Bible??

And thus if I'm no worse than David and Soloman... should I really need to worry since God loved and blessed them a ton... so he won't leave or forsake me due to me enjoying sex with women!?

----------

Also it may have been 'implied' that God wanted marriage to be between a man and a woman but he allows polygamy through out the bible.. Sooooo... I'm getting mixed messages regarding polygamy from you and from the Bible.
Deuteronomy 21:15
Exodus 21:10
2 Samuel 5:13;
1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3
1 Kings 11:3
2 Chronicles 11:21

Last edited by snowboarder1087; 05-31-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
BTW, I was 25 when I had sex with my wife after we were married. It is not a big deal to wait. It is not difficult. I have a huge sex drive and have always been able to attract women. But I loved God more then my own desires.

And, just because the times have changed does not mean that the truth has changed or the concequences of sin. The rules have not changed since God formed them in the beginning. The rules are the same.

The only person you can have sex with is the person you are married too and only after the marriage ceremony.

A marriage as defined by God in the book of Genesis in the bible is one man and one woman. Any other attempt to redefine this relationship is void. I don't care if you can get the pope to do the ceremony any other marriage is evil, whether it be two men marrying or two woman marrying or A man and his dog or a Woman and her horse, etc, etc. They are all evil!
A. You are saying the rules haven't changed?... I can't marry 100 people anymore... but I could if I was born over 2000 years ago... thus the rules/laws have changed implicitly in that regard.

B. But maybe you meant God's rules haven't changed... that being that "one should not fornicate before marriage".. in that sense you are correct that specific rule has not changed. But the fact still remains that the rule in paragraph A. has changed, which directly affects and is interrelated with God's rule that I just mentioned... so therefore due to this God's rule holds an entirely different weight/value. As stated before I wouldn't have a problem not having sex if I could marry 100 women.

---

Quote:
"A marriage as defined by God in the book of Genesis in the bible is one man and one woman."
Even if you have plenty of marriages... it still meets the above wording of being "one man" and "one woman". As the first marriage is the man and his 1st wife. The second marriage is the same man (he is still "one man") and the second wife (is "one woman"). It doesn't state that the same man couldn't be used twice in this... we can call it a mathematical formula (since one and one is math). Thus it doesn't say he couldn't have multiple marriages based on the exact wording of that bolded sentence, so therefore it could be explained in a couple different ways.

But heck let's just say he meant that sentence to be exactly as you explained it as one man "only" and "only" one woman allowed... I would then tell you that it may have been God's initial intent, but he allows polygamy all through out the Bible. One example in Exodus 21:10, "a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry."

Last edited by snowboarder1087; 05-31-2010 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,506,936 times
the only time i ever had sex was before and after marriage.
you mean she was supposed to be having sex with me during marriage?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:11 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,536,056 times
Why would you follow what people who thought the world was flat had to say about such matters. Why not be more pragmatic and see the reasoning for the times behind restrictions. When birth control was unavailable or unreliable it would be important to abstain for the sake of women and children who would be helpless. Just as the restrictions on pork and other dietary laws were related to the times so is sexual practice. You can be a letter of the law follower of the Bible but that requires putting aside reason and enlightenment. What an awful way to have to twist one's common sense to conform

Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Why would you follow what people who thought the world was flat had to say about such matters. Why not be more pragmatic and see the reasoning for the times behind restrictions. When birth control was unavailable or unreliable it would be important to abstain for the sake of women and children who would be helpless. Just as the restrictions on pork and other dietary laws were related to the times so is sexual practice. You can be a letter of the law follower of the Bible but that requires putting aside reason and enlightenment. What an awful way to have to twist one's common sense to conform
So just to understand you are saying the rule of no sex before marriage is no longer relevant based on today's time/situation being much different than many years ago!??

Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,457,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

the only time i ever had sex was before and after marriage.
you mean she was supposed to be having sex with me during marriage?

'Just June' just loves this ^ answer.

Just because...

Just.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 AM

26,347 posts, read 13,966,957 times
Quote:

There is a difference between Adultery and Fornication...Adultery extramarital sex that willfully and maliciously interferes with marriage relations...voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other...I do not see in scripture where God said it was unlawfull to have multiple wives of concubines...Notice that David had to confess his sins for Murder and adultery with Bathsheba and Urias...but, he does not confess his sins of having multiple wives or concubines...why is that?...concubines where mostly slave girls taken as the spoils of war...same thing as what the Muslems call a Harem...and in the NT is is said that a preacher was to have one wife...but, it does not reiterate that when discussing the requirements for Elders or Deacons...and Paul says that he wishes all believers could be like himself and not be married, then one can commit full time to the Gospel...but, if you burn, it is better to marry then to burn...

And here is something else...Killing - an event that causes someone to die (God commanded killings many of times, however, what David did with Urias, was murder, notice the difference)...Murder - To kill intentionally and with premeditation...Bear False witness - give false testimony against (a lot of this happened at the Salem Wich Trials)...to lie - a gross falsification or misrepresentation of the facts, with constant repetition and embellishment to lend credibility (a lot of preachers do this today)...

Last edited by Richard1965; 05-31-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity