Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM

236 posts, read 441,975 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I have ventured into this forum. I have avoided it because I feel ashamed because I am a back slidder. I have not been to church in 2 years.I love the Lord and I want to go but like alot of people I have every excuse as to why I can't go. LOL
I came in here because I need everyones prayer and I believe strongly in the power of prayer.
My father has been an alcoholic since I was a young child and I am 38. He drank stricly beer. In the last two years he has switched to straight Vodka. My mom can not take much more mentally or physically. My father was told two days ago by his Doctor to go into rehab or make his will out his liver is like mush. After years of trying to get him to go he is finally going in but only because he feels he has to. We are worrried that he will come back out and relapse when life gets tough. This addiction is tearing our family apart. My Dad is a very strong Christian BUT he can not seem to get control of his addiction. He knows it is wrong but thinks that he is strong enough to do it by himself.
Please, Please, Please, pray for not only for him but my mom.

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:29 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
I am going to guess that your post will most likely be moved into the prayer request thread, it's the very first thread here:
Religion and Philosophy - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

I will definitely be praying for your dad and your whole family. Addiction is so very hard to overcome. But with God, all things are possible! There are a lot of good programs out there these days...I just pray that he finds one that will work and sticks with it.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Welcome to the forum! Please don't ever feel ashamed to come here. We're a pretty accepting group.

I will certainly be praying. My other thought about your mom is has she ever thought about attending an al-anon meeting? There are probably some in your area for family members deeply affected by alcoholism.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
You and your family are in my prayers. God can still work miracles.. with Him all things are possible.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Welcome to the forum! Please don't ever feel ashamed to come here. We're a pretty accepting group.

I will certainly be praying. My other thought about your mom is has she ever thought about attending an al-anon meeting? There are probably some in your area for family members deeply affected by alcoholism.

She attended several al-anon meetings a few months ago when my dad was going to try and quit. But she had to "Babysit my Dad". If we can get him into a treatment center she is going to start back. The sad thing is they go to church and bible study every week. But he has this secret. Example of how bad it is. My mom bought a breathlizer to check him when he tried to quit last time. On Saturday after three hours of drinking he blew a .33. Yes, he should have been dead but his body is so used to the alcohol.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
first..welcome to the forum!..second you and your family are in my prayers!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Tina,I will join the others here in prayer for you, your dad and the family..Please be encouraged by the fact that we are truly family here and that your pain is felt throughout this forum..I can almost assure you that there will be many prayers said in private for you as well. God hears your plea and knows what you need, Tina...

Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
We're praying for you tina, and don't ever be ashamed or think you've back-slidden too much.

All of us have been there or maybe still are there... grace, forgiveness and mercy are for everyone.

Keep us posted and let us know how else we might be able to help.

Lifting you and your family up,
Alpha

Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM

Thank You all for your replies. I want you all to know that it is truly appreciated.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Heavenly Father, I humbly offer up a prayer request for our sister. I pray Lord that you give her father the encouragement and the will to seek the help he needs so desperately ..I pray that he will be healed of this addiction and any harm it has caousd his body. Please comfort Tina and her mother with the knowledge that you are in charge and Thy will be done...In Jesus name, I pray...amen

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-11-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity