Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Well said. I too cry sincere tears over the troops who are sent as lambs to slaughter, and perhaps in a sense they are dying for our freedom, just not necessarily in the way that the powers that be tells them. But even though men in power spend men's lives as though it was like spending money, God will bring something good from all the lives lost. It does break my heart to see our young people being fed into the system of the beast, but they really have no choice.

This whole world is such a sad place.

Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
My grandmother always said that crying is good for us, that it cleanses the soul. I'm glad God gave us tear ducts as a release valve for all our sorrows.

Heartsong

Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
My grandmother always said that crying is good for us, that it cleanses the soul. I'm glad God gave us tear ducts as a release valve for all our sorrows.

Heartsong
Its healing also.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
For me personally, nationalism is against my personal religious beliefs. I stand silently when the Pledge of Allegiance is recited or the Anthem is sung, but I have no desire to participate. Why? Because my citizenship is in heaven and American Nationalism has become to me an abomination. I have felt this way since on the Sunday after 9/11/01 I went to church and found it draped with red, white and blue and the preacher was standing in the pulpit screaming for God to "bring down America's enemies". I knew immediately that I had witnessed an unholy alliance between church and state and I never returned to church. I now cringe when I see great shows of flag-waving, etc...
American nationalism looks too much like German Nationalism did under Hitler. It seems anti-Christ to me.

I'm sure this will not sit well with a lot of folks here.

Heartsong
It sits well with me. When I took over my current church the flags were removed from the altar area and moved into the foyer. Church and State are to be kept separate.

This past Sunday I acknowledged Memorial Day and thanked those who are serving, and we paused to remember in silence those who have given their lives. Rather than focus on just the U.S. lives, I extended it to include those anywhere who have given their life defending their country and what they believe. Congregants were appreciative of this and no offense was taken.

The U.S. has gone too far into the "only-Christian" "only my way" of thinking. While I won't use the term anti-Christ, I do respect and understand what you are saying.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Heartsong
I never thought of it that way before. A release valve for our sorrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Its healing also.
Usually. Unless you do too much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
It sits well with me. When I took over my current church the flags were removed from the altar area and moved into the foyer. Church and State are to be kept separate.

This past Sunday I acknowledged Memorial Day and thanked those who are serving, and we paused to remember in silence those who have given their lives. Rather than focus on just the U.S. lives, I extended it to include those anywhere who have given their life defending their country and what they believe. Congregants were appreciative of this and no offense was taken.

The U.S. has gone too far into the "only-Christian" "only my way" of thinking. While I won't use the term anti-Christ, I do respect and understand what you are saying.
That is an awesome way to do things.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Diversity is not necessarily a good thing.
I agree....

Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
herefornow and heartsong...
I see it the same way as you.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
herefornow and heartsong...
I see it the same way as you.

I'm glad you do, but I get a strange, sad feeling in the pit of my stomach when people agree with me sometimes. I'd rather people lie and say everything is just fine.......

Oh, well. I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I feel pretty alone out here. I don't want to turn into a paranoid basketcase. That wouldn't be pretty.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
For me personally, nationalism is against my personal religious beliefs. I stand silently when the Pledge of Allegiance is recited or the Anthem is sung, but I have no desire to participate. Why? Because my citizenship is in heaven and American Nationalism has become to me an abomination. I have felt this way since on the Sunday after 9/11/01 I went to church and found it draped with red, white and blue and the preacher was standing in the pulpit screaming for God to "bring down America's enemies". I knew immediately that I had witnessed an unholy alliance between church and state and I never returned to church. I now cringe when I see great shows of flag-waving, etc...
American nationalism looks too much like German Nationalism did under Hitler. It seems anti-Christ to me.

I'm sure this will not sit well with a lot of folks here.

Heartsong
Wow

Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Diversity is not necessarily a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I agree....
Ditto....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity