U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times

Advertisements

The church we went to on Sunday had a wonderful Memorial Day Service! Color Guard presented the Colors and we sang the National Anthem. However, I did noticed quite a few people in the sanctuary who did not put their hand over their heart while the singing/playing of the National Anthem was done. I always thought that no matter where you are, if you are not in a uniform (military, police, fire), you are suppose to put your hand over your hear during this time. Uniformed people stand at Attention and salute the flag. I was sort of shocked to see so many people not putting their right hand over their heart!! But, then again, in the apt. complex we live in, only ours and one other America Flag was displayed yesterday on Memorial Day. I am a Veteran (Navy) and wife/I always display the flag on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Flag Day and 4th of July.
Society sure has changed a lot since displaying the flag all over the place after 9/11 and praying. Why has this stopped???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Diversity is not necessarily a good thing.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Need some more comments/reasons why.......PLEASE.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,233,863 times
[quote=LoveBoating;14425967]Need some more comments/reasons why.......PLEASE.[/quote]

...you are witnessing the slow but sure disintegration of the love of God, and the love of the country that was founded upon His priciples...it is getting worse as each day passes, and soon we will WAKE UP! only to find ourselves a country without God...a country and its freedoms and liberties lost forever...unfortunately.....but....

...there will be a remnant left...for a little while.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,990,415 times
I'm not aware of such a practice being common among adults, inside or outside of church. Most people I see, myself included, stand up, clasp their hands together and hold them down in the front or keep them to their sides. I don't know if that's considered a breach of etiquette or not, but I don't think it should be seen as a sign of disrespect in any way.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,059,763 times
United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301

United States Code: Title 36,301. National anthem | LII / Legal Information Institute

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,681,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The church we went to on Sunday had a wonderful Memorial Day Service! Color Guard presented the Colors and we sang the National Anthem. However, I did noticed quite a few people in the sanctuary who did not put their hand over their heart while the singing/playing of the National Anthem was done. I always thought that no matter where you are, if you are not in a uniform (military, police, fire), you are suppose to put your hand over your hear during this time. Uniformed people stand at Attention and salute the flag. I was sort of shocked to see so many people not putting their right hand over their heart!! But, then again, in the apt. complex we live in, only ours and one other America Flag was displayed yesterday on Memorial Day. I am a Veteran (Navy) and wife/I always display the flag on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Flag Day and 4th of July.
Society sure has changed a lot since displaying the flag all over the place after 9/11 and praying. Why has this stopped???

Go and ask the ones who are not doing it and find out their reason, then come back and tell us their answers.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Glad you put this here. I read this in a website, but in my opinion only, I just don't think people care anymore. They all know what's right, but just don't want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301

United States Code: Title 36,301. National anthem | LII / Legal Information Institute

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 PM

The response I'd most likely get is......."worry about yourself, not me", "if I don't want to, I don't have to". This is the way a lot of folks respond today. I've seen this happen more than once at a ball game: the National Anthem would start, a guy didn't take off his ball cap and the lady next to him nudged him, say something and he'd take his baseball cap off. What is wrong with American's today, don't know but things weren't this way years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Go and ask the ones who are not doing it and find out their reason, then come back and tell us their answers.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,681,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The response I'd most likely get is......."worry about yourself, not me", "if I don't want to, I don't have to". This is the way a lot of folks respond today. I've seen this happen more than once at a ball game: the National Anthem would start, a guy didn't take off his ball cap and the lady next to him nudged him, say something and he'd take his baseball cap off. What is wrong with American's today, don't know but things weren't this way years ago!

I am sure there are good and bad ways to ask someone. If your all judgmental, then sure, you'll get the likely responce judgmental people deserve to get.

But if you approach someone with an attitude that indicates you really want to know why, then you might get an answer that is more than "buzz off creep".

Fact is, people make assumptions all the time, then create a problem where none really exists. If you have not really tried to see what it is that people are thinking with understanding, then you can't really say much of anything in a factual way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or