U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,222,906 times

Advertisements

[quote=Oleg Bach;30031033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alte hornise View Post

Catholics have images that they pray too...who are you kidding? I lived across form this huge cathedral - at the time it stood in an open field and I resided in a farm house across the road...I would visit this church on occasion and could never get over the fact that they had this huge mosaic of MARY that was larger than the image of Jesus...Catholics are very pagan in their religious rituals and symbols...Maybe you don't actually worship an object...You have made Mary more important than Jesus....If you know your scripture you will remember that Mary the mother of Jesus thought her son had lost his mind and wanted to confine him.
Be careful of those facts. They are pesky little things to many who wish to say otherwise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM

794 posts, read 543,311 times
Catholics believe everyone will be judged, which is not true.

John 5:24 "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life."

Catholics believe in works based salvation. Catholicism does not teach grace salvation, when the bible says we are saved by grace.

Ephesians 2:9 "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them."

And notice how it says "unto good works." That means righteousness is a fruit in the new covenant, not the root.

A religious approach to God will never save you. Resting in the finished work of Christ is salvation, not working in the finished work. I hope that more Catholics will come to rest in the grace of God.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:20 AM

132 posts, read 115,542 times
I give up; trying to respond to smug, self-righteous, clueless bigots just isn't worth it.
And you have the nerve to call yourself "christian."

Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM

835 posts, read 543,014 times
Quote:
I give up; trying to respond to smug, self-righteous, clueless bigots just isn't worth it.
And you have the nerve to call yourself "christian."
My delivery may need improvement, but I stand behind my comments. I apologize for my snarkiness, but I grow weary of the everlasting fountain of horse pile that gets written in these forums. Maybe it's time to take a break.

Spiritual Truth is not about opinion, it's about Authority. Do you have any?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM

796 posts, read 563,350 times
Catholics and Lutherans follow the tradition of Augustinian (354 AD - 430 AD) in they way they number the commandments. Most others follow the tradition that existed during the time of Christ and the early church as referenced by Philo (20 BC - 50 AD) and Josephus (37 AD - 100 AD). The numbering system used by the Roman church is a change in the way they had been viewed from the time God gave them through the first few hundred years of the Church. And of course there were many who never made the change with the Roman church and have continued separate and apart from the Roman church.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 PM

1,164 posts, read 992,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian2003 View Post
I understand that they deleted the 2nd "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" and separated the 10th into two to make ten. This allows them to have their idol worship. I don't blame the people as the deception came from their leaders.
I'm fairly sure they didn't delete this, they incorporated it into the 1st commandment. "I am The Lord your God" just didn't seem like much of a commandment on its own.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM

796 posts, read 563,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I'm fairly sure they didn't delete this, they incorporated it into the 1st commandment. "I am The Lord your God" just didn't seem like much of a commandment on its own.
Your skipping right over the first commandment. "Thou shalt have no other God before me". The "I am the Lord your God" is part of this first commandment. The second commandment is "thou shalt make no graven image...." and that's the part they took out.

The RCC decided to cut some of God's commandments out. Here is the RCC modified numbers 1 and 2:

1. I am the LORD your God:
you shall not have
strange Gods before me.

2. You shall not take
the name of the LORD your God in vain.

As you can see they did not include the "graven image" commandment at all, but chose to leave it out.
Quote:
2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Ex 20:2-6 (KJV)
Also not how they changed the next one too.

3. Remember to keep holy the LORD'S Day.

But the scripture say this:

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy."

I wonder why they felt they needed to change what God said? Who gave them permission to correct God?

Last edited by balunman; 06-19-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM

6,577 posts, read 2,914,105 times
I've been hesitant to post in this thread because the very premise seems insulting to the intelligence of just about anybody.
Quote:
Catholics do not worship statues, but you just go on believing that absurd notion.
I've never understood why Protestants go berserk over their misconceptions of Catholicism and I'm not Catholic. Catholicism is one of the few religions that is what I would call "complete" -- meaning that for every question, they at least try to posit a theoretical answer. There's a lot less, "Only God knows" and a lot more actual answers.

I would prefer to hear an explanation of "praying to saints" and "worshiping Mary" (which I already know are always hugely exaggerated) from a Catholic. After all, a Protestant could never hope to truly understand something that is completely foreign to their own beliefs.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM

835 posts, read 543,014 times
Even if they did, they have the Jesus given Authority to do so. They, after all, have the keys to the kingdom of heaven. So, ultimately, if they say it, you better believe it because the gates of hell will not prevail against it and no other man-made church, which is every protestant church, has the same protection given to the Catholic Church by Jesus Christ.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 AM

20,998 posts, read 10,042,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Even if they did, they have the Jesus given Authority to do so. They, after all, have the keys to the kingdom of heaven. So, ultimately, if they say it, you better believe it because the gates of hell will not prevail against it and no other man-made church, which is every protestant church, has the same protection given to the Catholic Church by Jesus Christ.
Presumption...Prove it through the Scriptures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity