U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:22 PM

743 posts, read 1,910,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Oh there was a whole thread about this, remember? http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...hristians.html

and I agree the thought is absurd.

Is something wrong when I find the atheists/agnostics here less offensive than some "born again" christians here?

Maybe their being "saved" didn't really take.....you know..wolves in sheep's clothing...

Unless their zeal blinds them to the truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,227,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Is something wrong when I find the atheists/agnostics here less offensive than some "born again" christians here?

Maybe their being "saved" didn't really take.....you know..wolves in sheep's clothing...

Unless their zeal blinds them to the truth
Oh there was a thread, and I can't remember which one, that explains why the term "born again" is so derogatory...I think you may have nailed it though.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 PM

2,181 posts, read 4,617,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
1 Timothy 4:1
Interesting that you would mention that verse. Exactly WHEN did the Protestant movement take place? Was it not centuries after the church was established?

In reference to the Protestant movement, I could just as easily point out to you what it says in 2 Timothy 4:3...

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."

Quote:
Mark 7:8
2 Thessalonians 2:15

2 Thessalonians 3:6

1 Corinthians 11:2

2 Timothy 2:2

Many early church fathers supported tradition.

Not to mention, Jesus did many other things that weren't recorded.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 2:5
All I can say to that is you better stop paying attention to what ANY pastor says in ANY church, because all they are doing is giving you THEIR interpretation of what something in the Bible means. You might also want to stop paying attention to any inspirational Christian books or authors, since they are only imparting their own wisdom.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,227,395 times
Okay someone explain this one to me: 2 Peter 1:20

Old 06-17-2007, 10:00 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,377,961 times
Default Scripture Catholic

Hello, I am one of the managers on a forum specifically for converts to Catholicism, people considering converting, those just curious about the Catholic Faith, and those who were born and raised in the Catholic Faith ('cradle Catholics').

If anyone would like the link, let me know, I'll PM it to you. Feel free to join, even if you're not Catholic, and have no intentions to convert. All we ask is common courtesy, as in any forum. Just come in with love and respect for fellow Christians, along with a willingness to learn, you'll be treated with courtesy and respect in return.

Unfortunately, misconceptions continue about the teachings of the Catholic Church. Some people state that the teachings are not scriptural.

There is a website: http://www.scripturecatholic.com/

This website lists doctrine and teachings, along with Bible scriptural passages that support the teachings.

THE CHURCH
The Biblical Church
Primacy of Peter
Apostolic Succession
THE BIBLE
Scripture Alone
Oral Tradition
Deuterocanon
Septuagint
THE SACRAMENTS
Baptism
Confession
The Eucharist
Confirmation
Holy Matrimony
Divorce & Remarriage
Contraception
Homosexuality
Husband's Headship
Holy Orders
Anointing of the Sick
THE VIRGIN MARY
THE SAINTS
JUSTIFICATION
SALVATION
ESCHATOLOGY
Second Coming / Rapture
Purgatory
Hell
Zionism
THE TRINITY
Jesus Christ's Divinity
The Holy Spirit
Messianic Prophecies
CATHOLIC OTHER
Angels
Tongue Speaking
Usury
Sacramentals
Sunday Worship
Suffering
Fasting
Drinking
Vain & Repetitious Prayer
Modesty in Dress
Just War
SCIENCE
Evolution
Geocentrism
CATHOLIC Q&A
The Church
Scripture Alone
Baptism
Confession
The Eucharist
The Blessed Virgin Mary
Justification
Purgatory
Sexuality
Miscellaneous
Freemasonry
MY TOP TEN
WHAT IS THE HISTORY OF
YOUR CHURCH?

blessings, Shen

Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,377,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Okay someone explain this one to me: 2 Peter 1:20

2 Peter 1:20 is about the prophets and how they made their predictions. It is not about the more general issue of interpreting the Bible. 2 Peter 1:10 is not about whether anyone must or can interpret the Bible.

A good webpage on the subject:

http://www.bible.ca/ef/expository-2-peter-1-20(3).htm

blessings, Shen

Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 PM

2,181 posts, read 4,617,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Hello, I am one of the managers on a forum specifically for converts to Catholicism, people considering converting, those just curious about the Catholic Faith, and those who were born and raised in the Catholic Faith ('cradle Catholics').

If anyone would like the link, let me know, I'll PM it to you. Feel free to join, even if you're not Catholic, and have no intentions to convert. All we ask is common courtesy, as in any forum. Just come in with love and respect for fellow Christians, along with a willingness to learn, you'll be treated with courtesy and respect in return.
Thanks, Shen. I'd like the link. Feel free to PM me. If I don't respond back tonight, it's because I'm hungry and have finally dragged myself away from the computer, and into the kitchen. Then from there, I'll probably hang it up for the night. So thank you in advance.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post

Thanks, Shen. I would love the link to the catholic fourm.

As for the treatment of love and respect for fellow christians.....well, that would be a breath of fresh air

Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM

8,418 posts, read 15,159,737 times
Quote:
How nicely sarcastic...
First dear, you were the one who seems to have no clue what Christians do in Worship....I was clarifying that for you...is there a problem with that?

MBG

God gave me the gift of sarcasm. I wouldn't want to intervene.

I do have a clue what Christians do in worship, Catholic Mass. My question is is that there is only so much time in the day and the week, and you and others must be expending time and energy digging up dirt on other Christians. Do you do this during worship service, at home, on an independent contractor basis from a home office, at 2:00 AM? Just wondering?

- Love from one Christian to another (without judgment).

Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Do Protestants spend their entire worship service going through the Bible with a highlighter and figuring out what Catholics are doing wrong? LOL.
It appears some suffer from a severe "inferioritity complex".....LOL

God also gave me the gift of sarcasm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity