U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 4,509,610 times

Advertisements

Keep striving, Christian. You will never convince the heaters, but probably a few people will come to a better understanding of other practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,227,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I think there are many misconceptions in our protestant world about the Catholic Church. Some things I've heard make me cringe and, oh, how judgmental of those making these statements.

I don't know a lot about Catholic doctrine, but I know enough Catholic people to know they're not all headed for hell.

It would be so much better if we'd all just take the time to learn a little bit -- thanks Irishmom for the link above!
In the first place, it isn't about the Catholic people. It is about the Catholic papacy. There is a difference. I was raised Catholic. They changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, and it is not found anywhere in scripture. Even the Catholic papacy itself has admitted these facts.

It would be better if the ones telling others to learn a little, learn a little themselves before making such bold statements.

Last edited by MORebelWoman; 06-11-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM

There are actually at least three versions of the Ten Commandments, Jewish, Catholic (and Lutheran), and Protestant taken from Exodus Chapter 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy Chapter 5:6-21.

Jewish Ten Commandments (before 1000 B.C.E.)
1. I am the Lord your G-d who has taken you out of the land of Egypt.
2. You shall have no other gods but me.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your G-d in vain.
4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
5. Honor your mother and father.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness.
10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Catholic (and Lutheran) Ten Commandments (about 100 C.E.)
1. I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
3. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; in it, you shall not do any work.
4. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his ***, or anything that is your neighbor's.

Protestant Ten Commandments (about 1600 C.E.)
1. You shall have no other gods but me.
2. You shall not make unto you any graven images
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
5. Honor your mother and father
6. You shall not murder
7. You shall not commit adultery
8. You shall not steal
9. You shall not bear false witness
10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM

10,854 posts, read 4,509,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
In the first place, it isn't about the Catholic people. It is about the Catholic papacy. There is a difference. I was raised Catholic. They changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, and it is not found anywhere in scripture. Even the Catholic papacy itself has admitted these facts.

It would be better if the ones telling others to learn a little, learn a little themselves before making such bold statements.
Col 2:16 "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."
Perhaps a little learning on the position of Law and the New Covenant without pre-conceived doctrines would be helpful in granting room for others' expressions of devotion.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Col 2:16 "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."
Perhaps a little learning on the position of Law and the New Covenant without pre-conceived doctrines would be helpful in granting room for others' expressions of devotion.
'
I didn't judge anyone. All I did was to state facts. If you think posting facts is judging then, that is your problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM

794 posts, read 546,716 times
Galatians 2:21 "I cast not away the grace of God. For if justice be by the law, then Christ died in vain."

People make Christianity a religion because it makes them feel better about salvation. They want to be so sure they are saved that they push away God's grace and bring in religious practices thinking its going to save them. But the simple truth is the only thing that saves us is believing in the finished work of Jesus. God doesn't want nor care for anyone's religious practices. What God cares about is who believes and trusts in His Son Jesus and Jesus only to save them. The Catholics turn to their beads, their Mary worship, their popes and crackers to "keep them saved" but there is no such thing as keeping someone saved. The only way you are saved is believing in Jesus and that's it! There is no works involved. If you try to put your works into it then what did Jesus die for? Jesus didn't die so that we could worry about salvation. He died so that we would be saved by His blood and His blood alone!

Joseph Prince - Are You Hearing The True Gospel? - 23 Sep 2012 - YouTube

Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
galatians 2:21 "i cast not away the grace of god. For if justice be by the law, then christ died in vain."

people make christianity a religion because it makes them feel better about salvation. They want to be so sure they are saved that they push away god's grace and bring in religious practices thinking its going to save them. But the simple truth is the only thing that saves us is believing in the finished work of jesus. God doesn't want nor care for anyone's religious practices. What god cares about is who believes and trusts in his son jesus and jesus only to save them. The catholics turn to their beads, their mary worship, their popes and crackers to "keep them saved" but there is no such thing as keeping someone saved. The only way you are saved is believing in jesus and that's it! There is no works involved. If you try to put your works into it then what did jesus die for? Jesus didn't die so that we could worry about salvation. He died so that we would be saved by his blood and his blood alone!
:d bingo!!!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 PM

132 posts, read 116,135 times
The self-righteous indignation, ignorance and prejudice of you "Christians" who just love to bash the Catholic Church is just mind boggling.
Going back to the mid 1800's, folks like you would have had a political party to join. They were known as the Know Nothings.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alte hornise View Post
The self-righteous indignation, ignorance and prejudice of you "Christians" who just love to bash the Catholic Church is just mind boggling.
Going back to the mid 1800's, folks like you would have had a political party to join. They were known as the Know Nothings.
Why would you call anything bashing when one just posted nothing but facts? Here is another thing for you to know...I was raised Catholic, so it isn't like I am complete ignorant of the teachings.

You would be the president of said part of know nothings.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM

794 posts, read 546,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alte hornise View Post
Its not bashing when its the truth. Catholics want to have boasting rights in Heaven whether they acknowledge it or not. If anyone makes it to Heaven because of their religious lifestyle then they can boast about it. Also, the problem with that idea is that where is Jesus in all of it? Where do you see Jesus in the life of a religious purpose who believes they are maintaining their salvation by their works? Is the death and resurrection of the Son of God not enough to save us forever? Well according to Catholicism it isn't because if they believed it was there wouldn't even be a catholic religion or any Christian religion. God is not demanding anything from us. He wants us to rest in the finished work not work in the finished work. Why is it so hard to believe that Jesus did it all because He loves us? Why is it so hard to believe Romans 5:19 and John 3:16?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity