U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM

69 posts, read 216,866 times

Advertisements

I understand that they deleted the 2nd "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" and separated the 10th into two to make ten. This allows them to have their idol worship. I don't blame the people as the deception came from their leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,289,557 times
To see that Protestants are the ones who actually changed the them go here: The Ten Commandments - who changed them?

And as far as Idol worship other faiths would charge that it is Christians who are idolitors and polytheists because of the belief in the Trinity. So if you live in a glass house you probably shouldn't throw stones.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:17 PM

2,181 posts, read 4,650,499 times
Catholics don't worship idols. Please research the church and it's doctrines more thoroughly before believing everything you hear.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:21 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,327,125 times
I think there are many misconceptions in our protestant world about the Catholic Church. Some things I've heard make me cringe and, oh, how judgmental of those making these statements.

I don't know a lot about Catholic doctrine, but I know enough Catholic people to know they're not all headed for hell.

It would be so much better if we'd all just take the time to learn a little bit -- thanks Irishmom for the link above!

Old 06-16-2007, 05:34 PM

2,181 posts, read 4,650,499 times
Thank you, Nana, for the support.

I used to be hardcore anti-Catholic myself. But then it occurred to me that there is no cohesion within Protestantism, since all the different denominations interpret things differently. And when I turned to the Catholic Church to research what they really believe, my eyes were genuinely opened to all the misconceptions I'd had. And it was all because I was paying attention to what other people were saying about the RCC instead of investigating it myself.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 06-16-2007 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Wanted to correct a spelling error.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,327,125 times
Rob...one day you need to start a thread just on the different misconceptions, then the truth as you found it. I think that would be very interesting, perhaps educational, and I'm sure others could add to it as well. Think about it!

Old 06-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Thank you, Nana, for the support.

I used to be hard-core anti-Catholic myself. But then it occurred to me that there is no cohesion within Protestantism, since all the different denominations interpret things differently. And when I turned to the Catholic Church to research what they really believe, my eyes were genuinely opened to all the misconceptions I'd had. And it was all because I was paying attention to what other people were saying about the RCC instead of investigating it myself.
You know that is exactly what happened to my husband when I sent him off to take adult catechism classes. I wanted him to learn about what the kids were learning because he too had many misconceptions passed on to him by his parents (who were unhappy that he married a Catholic to begin with ). He wound up being confirmed, which was never the intention of sending him.

Nana - always a pleasure.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:45 PM

59 posts, read 209,278 times
Christian2003, your post is potentially the dumbest I have yet to see. As a Catholic, the equivalent of your opinion would be my assumption that Protestants worshiped baseball cards and unicorns. PLEASE do a little research - you almost ruined what has been so far a great weekend.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 PM

1,172 posts, read 5,176,887 times
Hmmm.

Depends on what you mean by idol worship.

If you mean that Catholics worship statues, that's silly. Statues act as reminders of the presence of the divine.

If you mean relics, that's a bit different. Relics act as objects of veneration, holy because of the saint or association with the Holy Family, but they do not contain God in and of themselves.

The closest thing to an idol, though it's not graven, is the eucharist. Catholics believe the eucharist to be the actual body and blood of Christ created as such at the altar through the miracle of transubstantiation. As the Catholic church sees it, worship of the eucharist, particularly via the office of Adoration, they are not worshipping an idol because the eucharist itself is God. How this occurs is a Mystery of Faith and while it seems illogical and physically impossible, Catholics believe this is true.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
Didn't Charles Heston do that?
Charlton Heston...but he also supports the NRA so he may have done it for them. All that rifle worshipping and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity