U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:59 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,117,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
OK so only Jesus is saved...

Ah no, if we believe in him we are saved because of his work on the cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 453,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The problem with keeping an eye on sin is that becomes our focus and not Jesus. If it is a balance then what is the number, how many sins are we allowed? The true answer is zero, unless we are perfect we are not saved and doing just enough good and not enough bad won't cut it.

Living in the grace of Christ is should be our focus, not counting good and bad.
Hilgi

How I see it is we learn by our mistakes -- The point of believing in Jesus is not just saying we can do as we please and be "covered by his blood" and it is not saying that we need to be perfect and not sin - the focus should be on loving God and loving our neighbour as ourselves - and being accountable for our actions.........

It is so easy for all of us to make a mistake in judgment (ie not realising or appreciating how our actions and words hurt each other and to me it seems that all the hurtful things said on this forum bear witness to that, and I am sorry for all the times I have done this )

Last edited by Meerkat2; 06-06-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM

30,167 posts, read 19,971,676 times
Quote:
The problem with keeping an eye on sin is that becomes our focus and not Jesus. If it is a balance then what is the number, how many sins are we allowed? The true answer is zero, unless we are perfect we are not saved and doing just enough good and not enough bad won't cut it.

Living in the grace of Christ is should be our focus, not counting good and bad.
I agree.What we focus on is what we are and become.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,117,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hilgi

How I see it is we learn by our mistakes -- The point of believing in Jesus is not just saying we can do as we please and be "covered by his blood" and it is not saying that we need to be perfect and not sin - the focus should be on loving God and loving our neighbour as ourselves - and being accountable for our actions.........

It is so easy for all of us to make a mistake in judgment (ie not realising or appreciating how our actions and words hurt each other and to me it seems that all the hurtful things said on this forum bear witness to that, and I am sorry for all the times I have done this )
How many mistakes are we allowed to have? What if some people are not as smart as others, are the condemned because of this?

I don't think I ever said we can live as we please. I said focusing on the saving grace of Jesus is what helps us live in obedience since God sees his son on the cross and not our sins. If we are focusing on WJD (what Jesus did) and not WWJD, we experience loving God and our neighbors because of Christ and not for our own self-centered or fear based reasons.

I thank God that Jesus accounted for my actions, or I would be in trouble.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 PM

30,167 posts, read 19,971,676 times
Quote:
How many mistakes are we allowed to have? What if some people are not as smart as others, are the condemned because of this?

I don't think I ever said we can live as we please. I said focusing on the saving grace of Jesus is what helps us live in obedience since God sees his son on the cross and not our sins. If we are focusing on WJD (what Jesus did) and not WWJD, we experience loving God and our neighbors because of Christ and not for our own self-centered or fear based reasons.

I thank God that Jesus accounted for my actions, or I would be in trouble.
Again i agree with this.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 AM

58,483 posts, read 31,872,436 times
Quote:
It comes from this (IMO):

There are two philosophies in a ping-pong match here:
  1. Decision Theology
  2. Universal Restoration
Both have common error, while at the same time confess to the sole authority, God's Word the Bible.

The common error...human reason.

For DT

Scriptures say:
  • Humanity has the ability and is accountable for rejecting Christ.(scriptual)
    • Human reason concludes:
      • Humanity has the ability to come to Christ (non-scriptual)
  • Few are saved (scriptual)
  • Assured salvation (scriptual)
    • Human reason concludes:
      • OSAS (non-scriptual
Some people are not meant to be saved (see the Pharaoh for example), and God never opens their hearts. I think what you mean by "Humanity has the ability to come to Christ " is that humanity has the ability to reject Christ. If Christ knocks on the door, it is obviously him who found you, but you still have the option to not open the door. So, "Humanity has the ability to come to Christ" is something you hear URs attribute to Christians, but it sounds like word games to me.

As for the OSAS, it seems some believe it and some don't, but OSAS is really a matter of whether a person was really saved or not.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-07-2010 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,404,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman
Did you read the passage I was quoting in that same post you responded to? From Post #38:

Luke 8:8 ..When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." 9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
" 'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'

Here we see one example where Jesus Himself did not want the masses to understand. It was not their time to understand.

How do you understand that passage sciotamicks?
...by reading the following verses of the scripture supplied.

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Or did you not understand what I was asking?

Again:
Luke 8:10 He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
" 'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'

Why did Jesus speak in parables so that the people would not understand? Did Jesus not want them to understand? Why didn't He just speak plainly, instead of in parables, so the people would understand?

Here is your chance to explain it to me.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 PM

32 posts, read 25,798 times
It works both ways.In revelation it is the church's heart's door JESUS is knocking on,because they are backslid and in danger of judgment.
GOD knocks on our door but we are allowed to either open it or ignore HIM.
When it says GOD opened her heart in the other passage it means her understanding and or desire to know the LORD.She then had the choice to accept or reject the LORD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity