Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I have often said that the we as sinful human can not by our own reason, strength or ability come to "make a decision for Christ". From a theological view, we are spiritually dead, our sinful mind is hostile towards God. However....the fact that scripture teaches that faith is God's doing coming to our heart, does not negate the fact that people reject the offer.

The Acts 16:14 isn't about adding creditability to argument of UR being true (as is probably why the verse was quoted). Rather it is to show that it's only by grace anybody has faith at all and its to God's pleasure to whom he chooses to reveal it to or not.
Twin what makes you think this is anything to do with UR , i have believed this since 1984 , which when broken down is longer than the time i have believed in UR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Because I could see where if this be taken to a UR logical conclusion, that since the Lord opened her heart, that the Lord will open will open all hearts because God is all powerful.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Because I could see where if this be taken to a UR logical conclusion, that since the Lord opened her heart, that the Lord will open will open all hearts because God is all powerful.
That is not my motive , though of cause i believe it to be true.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Come on it clearly states that He opens the heart to respond , you are clutching at straws. Rev 3 verse 20 has nothing to do with Acts 16 verse 14..

18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

Luke Chapter 4

He sets the prisoner free , He makes the blind to see , He releases the oppressed. Acts 16 verse 14 is a perfect example of this.
Are you simply curious and wanting to know, or are you just wanting to debate it? I am not interested in debating it, but your OP sounds a little misleading when I see a post such as the one above, and think there is another agenda. You asked my opinion, so I gave it, thinking you were truly interested, apart from a deabte. I guess I was wrong.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Are you simply curious and wanting to know, or are you just wanting to debate it? I am not interested in debating it, but your OP sounds a little misleading when I see a post such as the one above, and think there is another agenda. You asked my opinion, so I gave it, thinking you were truly interested, apart from a deabte. I guess I was wrong.
My motive is to see how orthodox christianity can justify its belief that there is some part of salvation where they have their part to play .

I believe without a shadow of doubt by the scriptures that even when we velieve it's because He opened our heartsand He enabled us to believe , in otherwords it's all Him so there is no place to boast in ourselves , even to say i am going to heaven because i believed and you ar going to hell hell because you didn't.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
My motive is to see how orthodox christianity can justify its belief that there is some part of salvation where they have their part to play .

I believe without a shadow of doubt by the scriptures that even when we velieve it's because He opened our heartsand He enabled us to believe , in otherwords it's all Him so there is no place to boast in ourselves , even to say i am going to heaven because i believed and you ar going to hell hell because you didn't.
It is GOD who moves within the heart of the man He created. Man cannot come to Him, because he is blind and enslaved. God alone can change the man's heart.
Everyone who says they "believe" can only call Jesus Lord through the Holy Ghost. It has nothing to do with their "choice." They respond, just as Lazarus responded when Jesus called him out of the tomb. Without the call/command of Jesus to RISE, we cannot rise from the dead.

"The time is coming when those who are dead shall hear the voice of the Son of Man. And those who hear SHALL LIVE." THIS is the power of GOD to SAVE the man He created.
Is the arm of the Lord too short that it cannot save?? No. He can save, and He shall lose nothing that the Father has given Him. The Father has given all things unto the hand of the Son.
I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth.

Blessings to all today (vacation day here in Italy!),
brian

Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
It is GOD who moves within the heart of the man He created. Man cannot come to Him, because he is blind and enslaved. God alone can change the man's heart.
Everyone who says they "believe" can only call Jesus Lord through the Holy Ghost. It has nothing to do with their "choice." They respond, just as Lazarus responded when Jesus called him out of the tomb. Without the call/command of Jesus to RISE, we cannot rise from the dead.

"The time is coming when those who are dead shall hear the voice of the Son of Man. And those who hear SHALL LIVE." THIS is the power of GOD to SAVE the man He created.
Is the arm of the Lord too short that it cannot save?? No. He can save, and He shall lose nothing that the Father has given Him. The Father has given all things unto the hand of the Son.
I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth.

Blessings to all today (vacation day here in Italy!),
brian
Italia mui buena!!

Salvation is indeed - fully and completely - of the Lord.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
God is the one who opens eyes and hearts, and He doesn't do it for everyone at the same time.

Luke 8:8 ..When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." 9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
" 'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'

Here we see one example where Jesus Himself did not want the masses to understand. It was not their time to understand.
I've never seen a "traditional" explanation of why Jesus did not want people to understand the knowledge about the Kingdom of Heaven. Anyone want to take a crack at it?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
I've never seen a "traditional" explanation of why Jesus did not want people to understand the knowledge about the Kingdom of Heaven. Anyone want to take a crack at it?
Actually, that verse in Luke is wrong because even the Apostles did not know what Jesus taught until AFTER pentecost. Then, as the Holy Spirit poured God's Love into their souls, they understood that Jesus' kingdom is not of this world and that it is Love that saves all mankind.

Jesus spoke in parables even to the apostles because people of that time had to have His teachings put in a way that they would understand. Some got it but most did not. It wasn't until 2000 years later that the Truth has resurfaced by Jesus Himself.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:53 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Quote:
Then, Jesus, in the flesh, was as ready and willing to teach as they were ready and willing to be taught.

Now, God's Holy, Living, Breathing, Holy Spirit Inspired Word is as ready and willing to teach as you are ready and willing to be taught.

When Jesus, in the flesh, spoke this parable to them,

1. The disciples wanted to know what it meant, v 9.

We should, more than anything else in the world, be so seriously determined to know the true meaning, and strive with every breath in us, to fully comprehend the magnitude...the scope...of the word we hear, that we be not in error nor lacking in our knowledge of it.

2. Jesus Christ, in the flesh, explained to them the fantastic advantage they had, in that they had the opportunity of aquainting themselves with the mystery and meaning of his word, which others had not: Unto you it is given, v. 10.

Those who would [not all will] receive instruction from Christ must know and consider what a privilege it is to be taught/instructed by Him, what an awesome privilege it is to be led into the light, such a beautiful light, when others are left in darkness, such a bleek darkness.

Happy are we, who receive His instruction, for we are forever indebted to free grace, that if the same Word of God that is a parable to others, which they do not take seriously, is an absolute truth that enlightens and instructs us, and works within us to be like Him Who will deliver us!

...we give life to His Word!...His Living, written Word lives in and through us who receive His instruction in truth...to those who do not receive His truth...it is but a parable they do not understand...not because God's Word didn't teach/instruct them...but because they didn't receive the instruction in the "Light" of truth...twisting it into a false gospel that they could "live with" instead.

...Not Jesus' fault...

...yours...for not first seeking His truth...and then receiving His truth, instead of questioning/rejecting/twisting it.

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity