U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM

30,340 posts, read 20,079,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
Actually these are largely Evangelical perspectives on the Gospel. Many other Christians don't quite think of it in those terms.

I'm a Christian and I disagree with all three of those articles of faith. While there are certainly a limited number of unifying ideologies in Christianity, you've not hit on them.

According to you.

And yet still identify themselves as Christians (for the most part). You're leaving out a number of others as well. In the end, it's not your prerogative (as an Evangelical or as an individual) to draw the boundaries of Christianity.

But in many ways they stand much closer to biblical Christianity than Evangelical Christianity. What you're doing is trying to assert unity by asserting that those who disagree with you aren't a part of the group anyway. That priority is actually what creates and defines sectarianism. It's quite ironic, but the people who label others as sects are the people who define their own traditions as sects. You're also inventing, ad hoc, these "core doctrines," and deciding, rather arbitrarily, which ones make you Christian and which ones don't. See Mark 9:38-41 for this attitude among Jesus' disciples.
Excellent reply

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM

21,305 posts, read 20,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Depends on what you consider a division.

If it is believing that Christ is God in the Flesh, 1.8 Billion will not disagree with you. If it is having to confess with your mouth and heart that Christ is your saviour, 1.8 Billion will not be divided on the subject.

If it is the belief in the doctrine of the Trinity, 1.8 Billion will agree.

So, as I see it, we are not divided at all.
Yes there are some tenets that are left to better interpretation, however, the core fundamental doctrines of the faith, are in unity. Not division.
You must remember, these numbers do not include JW, Mormon, Universalists, or any other sect that denies these core fundamentals.
Personally and corporately, these are not sects of Christianity, but stand outside of the church.
And just who gets to decide on what's a "core doctrine" and what's not? The single core doctrine of Christianity should be that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know of no one who considers himself to be a Christian who denies that.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,774,454 times
Quote:
Actually these are largely Evangelical perspectives on the Gospel. Many other Christians don't quite think of it in those terms.

I'm a Christian and I disagree with all three of those articles of faith. While there are certainly a limited number of unifying ideologies in Christianity, you've not hit on them.

According to you.

And yet still identify themselves as Christians (for the most part). You're leaving out a number of others as well. In the end, it's not your prerogative (as an Evangelical or as an individual) to draw the boundaries of Christianity.

But in many ways they stand much closer to biblical Christianity than Evangelical Christianity. What you're doing is trying to assert unity by asserting that those who disagree with you aren't a part of the group anyway. That priority is actually what creates and defines sectarianism. It's quite ironic, but the people who label others as sects are the people who define their own traditions as sects. You're also inventing, ad hoc, these "core doctrines," and deciding, rather arbitrarily, which ones make you Christian and which ones don't. See Mark 9:38-41 for this attitude among Jesus' disciples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Excellent reply
Yes it is!!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,645,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am no longer a believer (to which I am intensely grateful) but nonetheless, as a history buff (I LOVE perspective), religion (and how it has shaped history) is still a fasinating subject to me. I love to read about the world in which New Testament Judaism and the offshoot religion of Christianity formed. I love to read church history and learn about how the councils and the subsequent powerful church determined orthodoxy.

One thing is evident, even from the earliest days of Christianity when it was still within the region it started in and its immediate surroundings, is that it has ALWAYS been a religion with multiple and often conflicting schools of thought. This forum has proven that NOTHING has changed down to the very subject of "who WAS/IS Jesus?" This fundamental question cannot even be settled even 2,000 years later. Then there is the question about WHO will be saved when all is said and done and whether or not Jesus came back already or is still yet to return.

It is certainly an entertaining forum. I sit amazed at times at the diversity of thoughts. There are gnostic Christians, trinitarian Christians, Arian Christians, Preterist Christians, futurist Christians, fundamentalist Christians, liberal Christians, literalist Christians, "I could care less what others believe" Christians, I DO care what others believe" Christians, Unitarian christians, hellfire and brimstone Christians, Saturday worship christians, Sunday worship Christians, gay Christians, mystic Christians all here speaking AT each other. The tradition of MANY Christianities continues 2,000 years later. Makes for an interesting show to tell you the truth.
Hi InsaneinDaMembrane, here is a Biblical reason for the divisions:

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

As a Universalist, I have been given to know that these divisions are only temporary for eventually God shall be ALL in ALL:

1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,218,209 times
Quote:
See Mark 9:38-41 for this attitude among Jesus' disciples.

Indeed ...

Mark 9:38-41
And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part.
For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

So here Christ says that if one gives another drink(or anything else they need by implication) in his name, because they know that other belongs to Christ, they will not loose their reward.

Yet we have all the various religious qualifications which we are told are necessary in order to even begin to enter into our reward.

If you don't believe this or if you believe that, you will lose your reward.

Do you think the man which was casting out demons in the name of Christ, who was not himself a disciple of Christ, understood and believed in all the intricacies of Christian orthodox fundamentalist doctrinal traditions?

Do you think he contemplated the doctrine of the trinity?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM

13,472 posts, read 21,255,245 times
All I have to say about this forum is that if one finds it "entertaining" that is great, it keeps them coming back and perhaps someone has successfully planted a seed of renewal in the entertained one..

Indeed there is a great diversity of thoughts, interpretations and doctrines here in this forum, but we all have one thing in common..We are believers in God and that pretty well unites us despite the arguements..
jmho

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM

21,437 posts, read 29,615,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
this forum about Jesus may be entertaining, and you may not know this Jesus, but He knows you, and he love you very much, and he has a plan just for you, he is not pushy, he just waits for you to talk to him........

To say Jesus is entertaining is degrading and making a mockery out of Him.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,391,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
All I have to say about this forum is that if one finds it "entertaining" that is great, it keeps them coming back and perhaps someone has successfully planted a seed of renewal in the entertained one..

Indeed there is a great diversity of thoughts, interpretations and doctrines here in this forum, but we all have one thing in common..We are believers in God and that pretty well unites us despite the arguements..
jmho
Planting seeds. Definitely. Sometimes the truth comes out in the strangest ways. Judging others who are skeptical, cynical, and perplexed is not our place.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM

3,587 posts, read 465,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

To say Jesus is entertaining is degrading and making a mockery out of Him.
I think that Insane was saying that Jesus followers are entertaining in their disunity....................

Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,301,111 times
This thread does not edify the body of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity