U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the threat of eternal hell keep you on the straight and narrow
Would still obey a moral code if there was not eternal hell 12 100.00%
Would lie, cheat, steal if there was no eternal hell 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 PM

3,576 posts, read 454,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
An ET believing neighbor of mine reacted like this when I explained UR to him: "What??!!! Well, let's go down the street and rape Doris (a business owner and mutual friend) and steal all of her money. No one will suspect us and we'll get away with it. Why not, if there is no eternal hell?"

Of course I was shocked. Kind of made me a little thankful for ET doctrine. It seems though my neighbor was just trying to make their point (I hope) he wouldn't actually do it....
Thats what sparked my poll ....... That is what I hear some on this forum saying - if there is not eternal hell to keep me in check why can't I then party and live a life of sin --- lie, cheat, steal, murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Meerkat, do you really think anybody is going to admit that they would lie, cheat or steal if there was no eternal hell? I'm looking forward to see what your real reason is for posting this poll.
no ulterior motives here .... what I say I believe, and what I believe I say.

Hopefully those that say "if there is UR, then there is no reason for doing moral things, I can just do what I want then" they will step up and vote for that option ........

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM

21,278 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
no ulterior motives here .... what I say I believe, and what I believe I say.

Hopefully those that say "if there is UR, then there is no reason for doing moral things, I can just do what I want then" they will step up and vote for that option ........
Yeah, but it's always the other guy who will do the bad stuff. All of the believers in ER have already been saved, so they have no choice in the matter. They accepted Christ, were saved at that moment, and have automatically been good ever since.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,381,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Thats what sparked my poll ....... That is what I hear some on this forum saying - if there is not eternal hell to keep me in check why can't I then party and live a life of sin --- lie, cheat, steal, murder
Actually, my life has changed quite a bit since I QUIT believing in ET (no more weeble-wobbling in fear---doing stupid things and then being sorry---over and over)

The OSAS doctrine also does a quite a bit of damage out there.

UR says we reap what we sow. It says to love your enemies, do good to those that persecute you, be kind to ALL people, etc. Do ALL things out of love because your FATHER loves. Can't go wrong there. I got it.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,570,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
An ET believing neighbor of mine reacted like this when I explained UR to him: "What??!!! Well, let's go down the street and rape Doris (a business owner and mutual friend) and steal all of her money. No one will suspect us and we'll get away with it. Why not, if there is no eternal hell?"

Of course I was shocked. Kind of made me a little thankful for ET doctrine. It seems though my neighbor was just trying to make their point (I hope) he wouldn't actually do it....
I know, it kills me when people give this reaction. And reveals to you what's in their hearts..., i.e. "If it were not for the fear of hell, they'd be despicable characters giving in to every evil craving." Which is why, as you said, it was even the wisdom of God to allow the doctrine of ET to be widely believed to reign in many evil passions, apparently.

Wow
Heartsong

Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM

5,738 posts, read 4,583,643 times
I think it's fear... that makes people think those types of things. Fear that if they didn't have something holding them back that they may go and sin. So there is a sort of projection on other people, maybe?

"Well UR says that you can just sin, sin, sin... and it's ok"
"Well... why believe in Christ then if we're all going to heaven anyway?"

Can you see that?
Can you see the projection that is going on?

I think for some folks (not all, but some) there is definitely a fear.

A fear that if all are reconciled they feel that maybe the won't need Christ anymore or won't feel the need to lean on him, or that this need for Him will dissapear. (Nothing could be further from the truth!!)

And then a fear of "well if it doesn't matter what I believe, then what if I start sinning because nothing is holding me back?" Or maybe they fear that their loved ones will start sinning, etc. But I think that they are still under the illusion that sin is powerful. It is not. Sin is weak. Sin leads to bondage and misery. LOVE is the most powerful thing in this universe. Love conquers ALL.

I think it's just a fear.
A human fear.

But I am telling whoever may secretly have this fear... DO NOT FEAR.
Trust Him.
He loves you more than you realize.
And you are in the palm of His hand.
The more you realize just HOW MUCH HE LOVES ALL OF US... a lot of those fears you may hold, will drop away. They will be BURNED UP in the fire of His love. His love will drive away those fears, those concerns.

It's like... God needs to just take hold of you by the shoulders and SHIFT you over a little so you can get the right perspective. Once He shifts you over so you can see what I and others are talking about, then a light goes off in you head. And you see clearly why this fear will drop off you. LOVE conquers all. LOVE in your heart lets you see more and more and more just how ugly, pathetic and weak, sin really is.

We are human.
Humans have fear. But God can help us with that.

Well.... just some thoughts.
just a quick disclaimer: No need for anyone to get defensive.
I'm talking in GENERAL here. Not towards anyone here on this forum.

Peace..
sparrow

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,570,727 times
Sparrow,

Yes, could be fear. But there may be a place for fear. I mean, for whatever part of me is not pure, perhaps I need fear of being ashamed to keep me from sinning. For some, they need more than fear of shame - so it could be that they need the fear of being forever rejected? I dunno, I'm just rethinking it all and seeing how, perhaps some fear of punishment is for our own good. The law is for sinners (there is no law against love), so in whatever manner we may still be sinners (to the extent that we have not been sanctified by love) we have the fear of God's wrath which the scriptures say is against all ungodliness.

Just thinking it through - not recommending the teaching of ET!!!! The fear of punishment does not make anyone righteous, but I do think it can keep us out of some trouble.

Heartsong

Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM

5,738 posts, read 4,583,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Sparrow,

Yes, could be fear. But there may be a place for fear. I mean, for whatever part of me is not pure, perhaps I need fear of being ashamed to keep me from sinning. For some, they need more than fear of shame - so it could be that they need the fear of being forever rejected? I dunno, I'm just rethinking it all and seeing how, perhaps some fear of punishment is for our own good. The law is for sinners (there is no law against love), so in whatever manner we may still be sinners (to the extent that we have not been sanctified by love) we have the fear of God's wrath which the scriptures say is against all ungodliness.

Just thinking it through - not recommending the teaching of ET!!!! The fear of punishment does not make anyone righteous, but I do think it can keep us out of some trouble.

Heartsong
No, I understand what you're saying. I think that maybe what I'm talking about is people who see some sort of "good" or "desirableness" in sin. Like... I KNOW some people in real life that look at those who they feel are "sinners" and they have dark thoughts towards those people thinking they are going to hell and that they DESERVE it because they "get to" sin and they don't. And they console theirselves by thinking how all their "sacrifices" will be worth it because they get to go to heaven in the end.

It's such a skewed thought process that it just continues to get more and more skewed.

We all sin. We were subjected to this futility/frustration.
Carnal man. Spiritual man.
We sin in ways we don't even realize sometimes.
All go through His fire.
ALL. Every single one of us.
And this is GOOD NEWS.

We're going to LEARN what we need to learn, (love) and that's the bottom line for everyone.

I feel like I may be rambling and going off topic now...
I better stop here.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Thanks UR'ers for your opinions - I agree that the law is for the disobedient and to bring us to Christ....

1Ti 1:7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Now I will wait for other comments

Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,042,759 times
Does the threat of eternal hell keep you on the straight and narrow

NO......
....... Even before I knew my Lord Jesus, living in the darkness of sin and the worldly goals, I lived a moral life, respecting other's, my community, government, etc., and did not steal, cheat, etc., yes, I did lie, drank, partied, had a mouth like a sailor, indulge in the material things of this world and loved my money !!!

So this..... "Would I still obey a moral code if there was not eternal hell" Yes, because I already did and the threat of eternal separation or what some say, Eternal Torment, Eternal hell, damnation does/did not create a fear and cause me to turn to the Lord

It was His "LOVE" that drew my life too Him..... not the fear of hell as some are so sure that is why !

See, the problem with those who are so sure and making such assumptions that it is fear and so forth to why other people come to the Lord and stay there is not true for all.
I can't speak for another heart, only my own.

The individuals who keep saying it is fear or whatever are actually projecting their own emotions, fears, thoughts of experiences and etc. upon the heart and life of other people.
........... "If it were not for the fear of hell, they'd be despicable characters giving in to every evil craving."
Or this........." they have dark thoughts toward those people thinking they are going to hell and that they DESERVE it because they "get to" sin and they don't. And they console their selves by thinking how all their "sacrifices" will be worth it because they get to go to heaven in the end."

WOW, Such darken thoughts too project upon other's.......

Well, I so believe what ever you're saying and are projecting upon what you think other's are thinking or doing is exactly the very things one is doing or did, these kind of thoughts are in their own heart and life, how else would they know about such thoughts unless they had done or believed it themselves.... !!!
Please get over yourselves...... get some therapy, counseling and quite projecting what is in your own mind and hearts upon everyone else !!! Cause not everyone thinks like YOU !! geezes!!!

Thank the Lord for that one..... amen !!

I would/will not ever go back into the world because Christ gave me something that this world will not ever be able to give in my life, FREEDOM from sin, and most of all His LOVE.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 06-01-2010 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity