Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times

Advertisements

Thou couldest redeem the time:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11500954-post1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
Must be a Catholic version... Are there about 7 extra books in the Old Testament? They omit "For thine is the kingdon the power and the glory forever" from the Lord's prayer too.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdsweet79 View Post
Must be a Catholic version... Are there about 7 extra books in the Old Testament? They omit "For thine is the kingdon the power and the glory forever" from the Lord's prayer too.
No, you are thinking of the Apocrypha that was added during the Council of Trent, roughly 25 years after the Protestant Reformation got underway. The Anglican Communion also includes it in their bibles, even thought it is considered to be noncanonical.

The King James Bible is indeed riddled with errors. But when it comes to soaring prose, it has no match. Shakespeare's plays, The Book Of Common Prayer, and the King James Bible had a profound effect on the way that we speak and write today.

=========================

By the way, I do want to comment on the tongue-in-cheek usages of Thee, Thou, Thy, and Thine on this thread. I understand the desire to make fun of archaic language. At the same time, you may not realize something about those pronouns and their possessives.

At the time, they meant a much more personal and intimate relationship with the speaker's audience, much like the German equivalent, Du, or the Russian, Ti, does today. In fact, most languages have that distinction. You'll find dozens and dozens of example in French, German, Russian, et al, literature where one person agonizes over whether he should address someone else, usually a would-be lover, in intimate or formal terms. Only in the late 18th and early 19th century did English usage of Thee and Thou fall out of favor as more formality began creeping into the language. Now, oddly enough, we tend to think the usage of those words as being stuffy and highfaluting, when the exact opposite was actually the case.

So in everyday conversation, only close and trusted people were addressed with Thee, as opposed to the more formal and distant You. That's why, in its usage, the KJV really expressed a theological concept that is lost today in our language, namely the very personal experience of God speaking to a loved one--and vice versa. For example, the Quakers clung to its usage for a long time, chiefly because it demonstrated our brotherhood and sisterhood in Christ.

I know there's no going back, but it's still sad to me that our language has lost some of its richness and nuance in this arena.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-02-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why dost thou sticketh with ye olde King James translation?
Backwoods ignorance seems to play a role. (this is in a little town about 30 miles west of here)
Quote:
The New Revised Version Bible, the American Standard Version Bible, and even the New King James Version are all pronounced to be works of the Devil by Pastor Grizzard and his followers.

Pastor Grizzard said: “I believe the King James version is God’s preserved, inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God… for English-speaking people.

“We are burning books that we believe to be Satanic.”
North Carolina church plans Halloween Bible burning - Telegraph

OBTW, his commitment faltered when he was informed that he would be fined for illegal burning, a county ordinance. So deep is his conviction. Like the idiot koran burning preacher in Florida, he got his face all over the local news before the scheduled burning, as hatred is worthless if one doesn't have an audience.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
I sticketh with the KJV primarily because it is the version my Church sticketh with. I find the language to be beautiful, but quite difficult to understand sometimes, so I do have two other modern English versions I refer to from time to time.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I have a variety of versions and just bought a Joyce Meyer Bible edition recently which I also enjoy reading.....but for some reason....the King James just works the best for me. I love it. I think God will bless whatever version anyone chooses. Thankfully, it's about the relationship with the author....not the name on the book.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM

741 posts, read 1,287,970 times
My mom once said it was because it had been 400 years since her church body had voted to authorize funds to purchase new bibles!

LOL

Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 6,198 times
Back when I was in school I attended a private school run by a Church that thought the KJV was the only valid translation of the Bible. Never made sense to me... even then, I knew that the modern KJV looks nothing like the original version of the KJV. In fact, it would not be readable to most readers (at least not without great difficulty). It has undergone revisions. At any rate, the texts it is based on are known to be flawed, and newer translations are based on far more reliable texts. Seems like senseless clinging to tradition to insist on its use at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity