U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is worshipping Jesus idolotry?
No, Jesus is God and man so it is not idolatry. 8 61.54%
No, worshipping Jesus is worshipping his God part. 1 7.69%
Yes, Jesus was a man therefore it is idolatry to worship him. 4 30.77%
Yes, Jesus although God-man is still a man and it is idolatry. 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:35 AM

20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times

Advertisements

In Hebrews chapter one, the writer of Hebrews, quoting several Old Testament passages, applies them to Jesus and has God the Father addressing the Son as God and commanding that the angels worship the Son. God is to be worshiped and Jesus is God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 03:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,453,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In Hebrews chapter one, the writer of Hebrews, quoting several Old Testament passages, applies them to Jesus and has God the Father addressing the Son as God and commanding that the angels worship the Son. God is to be worshiped and Jesus is God.

In trinity translation that is found-- Not in the translation of those who serve the God Israel served in the OT- A single being God= YHVH(Jehovah) he is the Father. That greek word used for worship, has 5 different meanings from Greek to English- 1) worship to God-2) obeisance to a King- plus 3 others--obeisance is correct. Jesus is Gods appointed king. They as well have mortals bowing in worship to Jesus as a mortal= 100% error--He was lower than the angels while on earth( Heb 2:7-9)-- there are many misleading errors in trinity translations.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM

30,167 posts, read 19,971,676 times
They have a religion which is militant which is not the religion of Jesus,which was the realization of divine sonship, but the religion about Jesus which pedestalizes him.They have made a freak of Jesus.
He is a voice which joins with other voices that have said in every place and time wake up man and realize who you are.
Alan Watts

Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 PM

37,500 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Welcome, AmandaLynn, and thank you. For Bible literalists your citation of Phil "10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." should settle the OP question.

You will learn that pcamps has a well-established relationship with the Spirit and the wisdom to be gained by that. He was making a slightly different point from the OP in that the emphasis on worship or expressions of love to Jesus was NEVER what Jesus was looking for, but the demonstration of that love in our relationship with the Father and our fellow children of that Father.

That doesn't mean that such expressions are wrong, just that they are secondary at best.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:21 PM

12,653 posts, read 10,739,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is a good thing I have my training in human psychology
to rely on instead of a barely intelligible ancient text that reads like a bad LSD trip.
Revelations a bad LSD trip...good one! I'll say!

Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,453,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is a good thing I have my training in human psychology to rely on instead of a barely intelligible ancient text that reads like a bad LSD trip.

Yes God disguised many things in his written word. Even his own angels desired to know-1Peter 1:12)
Otherwise satan would have twisted it into oblivion. Like he tried through his divided house that will not stand= 34,000 trinity based religions. They fail this true mark-100%-1Cor 1:10--unity of thought( all matters of Gods truth) no division. can 2 billion of you understand simple bible milk or simple English? Your teachers cant seem to--do you care--eternal life depends on you doing Jesus Fathers will( Matt 7:21)

Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM

26,256 posts, read 13,920,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What is "worship" if not expressing our love? Do you love Jesus however you perceive His relationship with the Father?
Worship means worthy of respect...

Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM

26,256 posts, read 13,920,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLynn777 View Post
This is AmandaLynn replying to your message to PCamps. Not familiar with this messaging thing. New here. I was lead by the Holy Spirit (Rauch HaKodesh) scriptures and explanation. Please go into prayer and ask for wisdom from above not falling into your own understanding. The more you know him by having a relationship with Him granted he will give you more understanding. I in no way am above you or anyone else or above my GOD but am lead by asking HIM to help me present this to you. Here it is..............

Philippians 2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Be Like Christ
2 Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any [a]affection and compassion, 2 make my joy complete [b]by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. 3 Do nothing [c]from [d]selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard, one another as more important than yourselves; 4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. 5 Have this attitude [e]in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be [f]grasped, 7 but [g]emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death [h]on a cross. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
John 1:14 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Word Made Flesh
14 And the Word became flesh, and [a]dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of [b]the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

The Word became a human being and, full of grace and truth, lived among us. We saw his glory, the glory which he received as the Father’s only Son. (John 1:14)

He always had the nature of God,
but he did not think that by force he should try to remain
Instead of this, of his own free will, he gave up all he had,
and took the nature of a servant.
He became like a human being
and appeared in human likeness.
He was humble and walked the path of obedience all the way to death—
his death on the cross.
For this reason, God raised him to the highest place above
and gave him the name that is greater than any other name.
And so, in honor of the name of Jesus
all beings in heaven, on earth, and in the world below
will fall on their knees,
and all will openly proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:6-11)

The Father and I are one. (John 10:30)

“I am telling you the truth,” Jesus replied. “Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am’.” (John 8:58)

Read 10 Bible verses about Jesus.

About the Son, however, God said: “Your kingdom, O God, will last forever and ever! You rule over your people with justice. (Hebrew 1:8)

Is it easier to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, pick up your mat, and walk’? I will prove to you, then, that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “I tell you, get up, pick up your mat, and go home!” While they all watched, the man got up, picked up his mat, and hurried away. They were all completely amazed and praised God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!” (Mark 2:9-12)

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Do you believe because you see me? How happy are those who believe without seeing me!” (John 20:28-29)

Suddenly Jesus met them and said, “Peace be with you.” They came up to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. (Matthew 28:9)

That grace instructs us to give up ungodly living and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in this world, as we wait for the blessed Day we hope for, when the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ will appear. (Titus 2:12-13)

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Shalom and blessings from above!

AmandaLynn
It’s “Ruach HaKodesh”....

Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM

23,288 posts, read 12,061,902 times
I don't believe Jesus was a God, or a son of the God. So...worship? Nuh-uh. But the stories make him out to be admirable. Especially in comparison to his purported sire.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM

957 posts, read 715,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus the Son of Man is God and Worshipping him is adored in Heaven. There is nothing idolatry about it.....
Jesus is Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity