U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM

271 posts, read 571,914 times

Advertisements

While I technically consider myself an atheist it's because I just cannot believe in a literal God. While I'm fascinated with the concept of religion and enjoy studying christianity I have no desire to become a christian.

Throughout my studies I have developed some personal beliefs of mine that are based upon the christian concept. My beliefs, although not concrete, lean towards fundamentalist. I find it funny how it's the fundamentalist that state I'm heading straight for Hell yet, I have no desire to be "saved".

I would like to hear your thoughts about why I feel this way? UR's, ET's and anyone in-between could give me your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,876 times
Fundamentalist alone doesn’t clearly describe your position. Would you please define what you mean by fundamentalist?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM

139 posts, read 166,227 times
i would give u some of my desire if i could ... its really the most beautiful thing..i wish i could share my desire with u..
there is nothing in the whole wide world that could compare to the love of god...its sweeter than anything no words can explain it

Old 06-04-2010, 08:23 PM

581 posts, read 634,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
While I technically consider myself an atheist it's because I just cannot believe in a literal God. While I'm fascinated with the concept of religion and enjoy studying christianity I have no desire to become a christian.

Throughout my studies I have developed some personal beliefs of mine that are based upon the christian concept. My beliefs, although not concrete, lean towards fundamentalist. I find it funny how it's the fundamentalist that state I'm heading straight for Hell yet, I have no desire to be "saved".

I would like to hear your thoughts about why I feel this way? UR's, ET's and anyone in-between could give me your opinion.
dacx,
I won't be the one to tell you to believe in a religion and I don't think hell is what an atheist believes, but correct me if I am wrong. How about just meeting Jesus, just as you are? Just read about what He said and did. Most Bibles have his words in red or you can read any 4 gospels on line. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Or just read one. Just meet Him just as you are right now. Don't even think about having desire or belief or whether you believe it is true or not, just read who He is and what He has done and said. You have nothing to lose and at least you might understand others alittle and information is always a gain. Just a suggestion.
Hope this helps.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM

21,321 posts, read 21,003,321 times
Quote:

Maybe the idea of hell sounds more appealing than the idea of an eternity in heaven with the people who are so sure they're going to be there but you're not.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-04-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 PM

12,942 posts, read 18,547,087 times
Quote:

My ponderous powers of perception say you want to believe in something but can't reconcile your various beliefs. Am I far off?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 AM

7,792 posts, read 10,475,333 times
Quote:

....I technically consider myself an atheist it's because I just cannot believe in a literal God. While I'm fascinated with the concept of religion and enjoy studying christianity I have no desire to become a christian.
]
Thus far, June's with you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx

...My beliefs, although not concrete, lean towards fundamentalist. I find it funny how it's the fundamentalist that state I'm heading straight for Hell yet, I have no desire to be "saved".

I would like to hear your thoughts about why I feel this way?
Your premise (OP) is making no sense to June....On the one hand, you state you are an atheist. So is June. Yet on the other hand, you are alligning yourself with "fundamentalism?"

Please, explain this one to June.

Along with the rest of us....

Take gente care.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 6,710,532 times
In 1 Corinthians 2:12- 16 ...`` Now we have received not the spirit of the world but the spirit which is of God that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God....Which things also we speak not in the words which mans wisdom teacheth but which the Holy Ghost teacheth comparing spiritual things with spiritual.... But the natural mind receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness unto him neither can he know because they are spiritually discerned...... but he that is spiritual judgeth all things yet he himself is judged of no man..... for who hath known the mind of the Lord that he may intruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.........`` See the fundamentalist ideas may be attractive to the mind that rejects the Spirit of God because the natural mind can instincly know the truth where this natural mind accept the truth or not........

Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM

433 posts, read 516,188 times
You are a born-sinful person. The only way for you to be okay (not to be confused with being "saved") is to pray at a Christian church, and pay the church -- that's what you need.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 PM

13,472 posts, read 21,261,584 times
Dacs, I believe you are struggling to believe in man's doctrines too much..

Maybe it is time to quit searching doctrines and communicate through prayer or meditation with God..He will lead you through scripture, through people, through organizations that will help you strengthen your faith..Trust what He encourages you to do through your "gut feelings" God is not just in buildings, books and man's doctrines..He is also in you..waiting for you to recognize and embrace Him..

If you feel you are being led to Fundamentalism then by all means attend some of their meetings, and study groups..God will put you where you can grow in your belief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity