U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 454,899 times
Reputation: 385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Meerkat2,
personally, I'm wanting to get as far away from judging others as I can.
I like this verse in Isaiah 40: "Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins."

blessings to you!
brian
I can understand that -- but what I believe is that there can be over emphasis on one aspect of salvation at the expense of other parts........

It is like a pendulum - it needs to be in balance to work...

What I notice in that verse you quoted Jerusalem receives double of her sins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
 
433 posts, read 515,149 times
Reputation: 91
If you are a Christian-believer, you are not free of sin.
More importantly, you will never be free of sin.

So, the deal is church first convinces you as a sinful
person (this is a religious invention -- your clear conscience can tell you right/wrong), then the church convinces you will never be free, so you have to pray and pay church for
life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 454,899 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
If you are a Christian-believer, you are not free of sin.
More importantly, you will never be free of sin.

So, the deal is church first convinces you as a sinful
person (this is a religious invention -- your clear conscience can tell you right/wrong), then the church convinces you will never be free, so you have to pray and pay church for
life.
I believe that our conscience is God given --and I would agree with you that men in organised religions, including christianity have used religion to control those under them .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 05:22 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,972 times
Reputation: 10
Yes, as long as we repent for our sins and believe in Jesus Christ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 05:33 PM
 
433 posts, read 515,149 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I believe that our conscience is God given --and I would agree with you that men in organised religions, including christianity have used religion to control those under them .......
The problem with the way you praise God like that is, people don't always have clear conscience. Effectively, you are blaming God for people's wrongdoings in many situations due to the unclear conscience.

So when the conscience is clear, you tend to say that's God's gift; when the conscience is unclear, you tend to say that's demon's gift ...

Religion emphasizes "faith" (such as in the ten commandments, it's mostly about being faithful with some obvious politically correct statements that everyone already knows), and that breeds people being irresponsible to their own conducts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 454,899 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
The problem with the way you praise God like that is, people don't always have clear conscience. Effectively, you are blaming God for people's wrongdoings in many situations due to the unclear conscience.

So when the conscience is clear, you tend to say that's God's gift; when the conscience is unclear, you tend to say that's demon's gift ...

Religion emphasizes "faith" (such as in the ten commandments, it's mostly about being faithful with some obvious politically correct statements that everyone already knows), and that breeds people being irresponsible to their own conducts.
You are entitled to your view --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 454,899 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Meerkat2,
personally, I'm wanting to get as far away from judging others as I can.

blessings to you!
brian
I 'hear' you

It reminds me of this verse
1Co 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1Co 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,111,163 times
Reputation: 866
Hi guys,
maybe a deeper question to this is, am I sinning if I don't believe in sin?

blessings,
bri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 AM
 
433 posts, read 515,149 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi guys,
maybe a deeper question to this is, am I sinning if I don't believe in sin?

blessings,
bri
Yes, most definitely -- not believing in sin itself is a "separation from God", which is a sin.

So, Christianity wants you to believe "sin"; if you don't believe it, that's another sin. If you believe it, you are still a sinner for life. Therefore you must pay church for life. That's called "heavenly love father's love". Now you got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
 
5,417 posts, read 4,663,138 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
So, the deal is church first convinces you as a sinful
person (this is a religious invention -- your clear conscience can tell you right/wrong), then the church convinces you will never be free, so you have to pray and pay church for
life.
It is a paradox to teach that we will remain sinners even after being saved. What would we be saved from if we are continuing to sin?

The fact is Jesus came to set the captives free -- and that is exactly what He does for His people. Sin is devil bondage and Jesus is liberty.

1 John 5
[18] We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
[19] And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
[20] And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top