Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:07 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
inspired from another thread, here's something I'd like to hear from everyone on:

"For he that is dead is freed from sin." Rom. 6.7

If I didn't know better, I'd have to come to the conclusion that Rom. 6.7 is telling us that when we all die, we all become "sinless."

"Die (v.): to stop sinning suddenly." -Elbert Hubbard

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
inspired from another thread, here's something I'd like to hear from everyone on:

"For he that is dead is freed from sin." Rom. 6.7

If I didn't know better, I'd have to come to the conclusion that Rom. 6.7 is telling us that when we all die, we all become "sinless."

"Die (v.): to stop sinning suddenly." -Elbert Hubbard

Blessings,
brian
I agree with your analysis of this verse..If the wages of sin is death and you die.. then you are freed from sin. You paid the sin debt by dying.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:36 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
This is dead of self. by the baptism ..... In Romans 6;3-6....`` Know ye not that so many of us a were baptised into Jesus Christ were baptised into his death?.... We were buried with him by baptism into death that like Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even as we walk in the newness of life.......for we are planted together in the likeness of his death we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection..... knowing this that our old man is crucified with him that the body of sin might be distroyed that henceforth we should not serve sin````... being dead to self or willing to stop sinning through our baptism of Christ is honored in Heaven and Jesus will open the doors so miracles of sin disappearing can happen by the power of Christ.....

Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

What I notice that following it says if we be dead with christ we will also live with him

I agree with hljc that is not referring to physical flesh death but the death of the "old man" carnal nature

Old 06-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I agree with your analysis of this verse..If the wages of sin is death and you die.. then you are freed from sin. You paid the sin debt by dying.
If Hitler's wages for murdering all those people is just his physical death --- then to me that makes a mockery of justice

Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
What I notice that following it says if we be dead with christ we will also live with him

I agree with hljc that is not referring to physical flesh death but the death of the "old man" carnal nature
Personally, I don't agree. I think the verse which states that "he who is dead is freed from sin" is a metaphysical fact. I believe he is giving us an understanding of the spiritual realm.
(Even if I am wrong, Paul says that all are dead, because Christ died for all. So all are, in this sense, already freed from sin.)

And it in no way contradicts the rest of ch.6. Verses in a chapter don't always ALL pertain to one group of people, or ALL pertain to the same thing.

Just my 2c today!

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
If Hitler's wages for murdering all those people is just his physical death --- then to me that makes a mockery of justice
Of course it's not up to us to play judge, is it? We are all sinners, friend!

blessings,
brian

Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Wait a sec! What's the difference between a physical death and the death of the "old man" if you die a sinner?? Death is death to all that is fleshly! Or not?

blessings,
brian

Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Of course it's not up to us to play judge, is it? We are all sinners, friend!

blessings,
brian
We are not to judge but are we to witness what God has said....

We are told that judgment is on works ---salvation is by grace

We are not to tell people peace and safety -- This verse is from the OT and to me is a pattern of what happens

Quote:
Jer 8:8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.
Jer 8:9 The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?
Jer 8:10 Therefore will I give their wives unto others, and their fields to them that shall inherit them: for every one from the least even unto the greatest is given to covetousness, from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
Jer 8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.
Jer 8:12 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
The dead are judged by fire -- after death comes judgment

Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
We are not to judge but are we to witness what God has said....

We are told that judgment is on works ---salvation is by grace

We are not to tell people peace and safety -- This verse is from the OT and to me is a pattern of what happens

The dead are judged by fire -- after death comes judgment
Hi Meerkat2,
personally, I'm wanting to get as far away from judging others as I can.
I like this verse in Isaiah 40: "Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins."

blessings to you!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity