Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times

Advertisements

Maybe sect wasn't the right word but I know that the Christian religion has branched out from it's beginnings into a multitude of churches. I've always thought that the Catholic Church was the oldest of them all because I know that the Protestant religion split apart centuries ago and has itself been divided into many separate churches and I remember that Christianity became established in Rome which of course is the base for the Catholic Church. So is it true that the Catholics are the oldest part of the Christian religion and where did the word Catholic come from and what does it mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
What's up MG? Just couldn't get that pot to boil on the "simple woman" thread?

Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,063 times
Interesting question. I would have to base my answer from Acts 11:26 when the followers of Christ were referred to as Christians. Exactly where on the timeline that term was coined, I am not sure but I believe it was before the Catholic church was established.

It also depends on how the term "church" is used. We tend to identify church as a building, a group of people or a specific doctrine(s). Christ referred to those who follow Him as "His" church, or body of people who follow Him. That would be my guesstimate.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,709 times
Catholic, with a lower-case "c", means "universal". As an example, Eastern Orthodoxy is generally part of the catholic church. When it's capitalized, it usually refers to the Roman Catholic Church, as in its name.

The earliest church was simply the universal church - the body of Christians - formed at Pentecost. As the church grew, 5 main churches were established, each headed by a bishop, in Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Rome and Constantinople.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
weatherologist wrote:
Quote:
What's up MG? Just couldn't get that pot to boil on the "simple woman" thread?
I gave it my best shot but these things are unpredictable sometimes. I'm actually serious about this question though.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:07 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Maybe sect wasn't the right word but I know that the Christian religion has branched out from it's beginnings into a multitude of churches. I've always thought that the Catholic Church was the oldest of them all because I know that the Protestant religion split apart centuries ago and has itself been divided into many separate churches and I remember that Christianity became established in Rome which of course is the base for the Catholic Church. So is it true that the Catholics are the oldest part of the Christian religion and where did the word Catholic come from and what does it mean?
The word catholic is from the Greek word katholikos, meaning "universal".

Jesus was the Messiah for whom the Jews were waiting (Mt 16:16). Approximately two thousand years ago He was born of a virgin (Mt 1:18-25). Around age 33, He was unjustly put to death (Mk 15, 24-37). Three days later, Jesus rose from the dead. Forty days after that Jesus ascended into heaven, and then sent the Holy Spirit to empower His apostles to spread His gospel. He established the Catholic Church on Peter, the first pope, whom Jesus called the "rock" (Mt 16:18).

A strong case for the Catholic faith is also made by studying history. If you look at the extra-biblical writings of the early Christians, you will see that they taught Catholic doctrines. In fact, the Roman Catholic Church was often referred to by name. The first recorded usaged of the word catholic is found as early as 107 AD. A disciple of the apostle John, St Ignatius of Antioch, said: "Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there, just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the catholic church" (Epistle of the Smyrnaeans, 8:2)

The Catholic Church can trace its authority as the one true Chruch through its unbroken line of more than 260 popes from Pope Benedict XVI back to St. Peter.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,447 times
The belief in God for eternal salvation has been around since Adam. Since day one of Jesus Christ on this earth God is only concerned with people believing in Him.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
The belief in God for eternal salvation has been around since Adam. Since day one of Jesus Christ on this earth God is only concerned with people believing in Him.
OK then...time for a new thread.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I thought it was the Essenes, a monastic type sect. Jesus and John the Baptist postulated to belong to that sect, rather than the Pharisees or Saducees.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I thought it was the Essenes, a monastic type sect. Jesus and John the Baptist postulated to belong to that sect, rather than the Pharisees or Saducees.
Actually all three were around before Jesus, but I'm pretty sure that only the Pharisees were around after the temple was destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity