U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 PM

3,259 posts, read 5,096,228 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because when my diabetes was reversed, many athiests and some Christians were criticizing me for thanking God for helping me lose weight, and glorifying Him for basically waking me up about my sins of over indulging in foods that are/were obviously bad for me to eat. I know that the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ. But do we,as Christians, give God too much credit for things that we feel are blessings from God, when in actuality all we did was make a lifestyle change or wise decision to improve our lives or livelihoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 PM

783 posts, read 1,158,887 times
Can We Give God too Much Credit?

No.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I ask this question because when my diabetes was reversed, many athiests and some Christians were criticizing me for thanking God for helping me lose weight, and glorifying Him for basically waking me up about my sins of over indulging in foods that are/were obviously bad for me to eat. I know that the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ. But do we,as Christians, give God too much credit for things that we feel are blessings from God, when in actuality all we did was make a lifestyle change or wise decision to improve our lives or livelihoods?
No

God is good and God is love and anything that is good is of God -- what I believe is that 1 Cor 15 speaks of this we are sown in corruption and death and raised in incorruption -- anything that hurts, harms is not of God (of the Spirit) it is of the earth.

God breathed his Spirit into the dust of the earth - what is of the Spirit is good.....

Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,684,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Absolutely not. All glory and honor and praise is to God! He is worthy of all praise. It would be selfish of us to think that we could do it without Him!

Psalm 115:1 "Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness."

Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,063 times
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. - James 1:17

Colossians 3:15: "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, as to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful."

Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
giving gratitude to god for small and large things got me this far, not guna stop now.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM

433 posts, read 514,896 times
God can not do anything for you. This is a verifiable truth.

If you don't live a healthy lifestyle, your health will deteriorate regardless how faithful you are; If you live a healthy lifestyle, you tend to live healthy life regardless how faithful you are. Either way, being faithful does nothing to you.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
If I had lost weight and changed my lifestyle, I would praise God for giving me the strength to do so. I DO pray for that as I need to do just that.......lose weight and change my lifestyle. I lost 66 lbs a few years ago and I don't recall thanking God for it. The weight came back and I'm back to square one. We do have to do our part but it is God who gives us the strength to do so and I expect fully to be given the strength again.

Of course atheists and non-believers are going to say you don't need to praise God because it was of your own doing....they don't believe in God!!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Can We Give God too Much Credit? I suspect that any credit given to a mythological god-thingy, is too much.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Can We Give God too Much Credit? I suspect that any credit given to a mythological god-thingy, is too much.
There you go, straight from the atheist's mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity