U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,384,960 times

Advertisements

In the OP, Brian mentions that the thread is about Christian Hope...

Then he mentions that he is quite sure that his friend did NOT accept Christ as Lord and Savior....

So why so quiet about the obvious? Obviously the Christian hope for his friend is that he is now free from cancer while he burns in hell.

Let's just come out and say it!

Have you attended a Christian funeral lately? You hear "it's okay.. he's in heaven" or " so glad I will see him again in heaven".... So what is wrong with " so sorry he's burning in hell" or " Man... Tough luck getting cancer and burning in hell." ???

If you believe it then why not just come out and say to the parents:

"Your son is doomed to spend an eternity in hell for his unbelief."

Sounds pretty callous but isn't that what is preached from the pulpit all the time? If that is what you believe why is everyone so silent about hell when someone REALLY dies in unbelief?

I say tell them their son is in heaven.

(BTW- Brian... if this is not what you meant by Christian Hope just let me know and I will stop posting about it)

Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
It is always hard for we who remain to endure the loss (but enduring and overcoming is our lot while in these bodies) . . . but the joy on the other side is unimaginable. That knowledge is what comforts.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
a friend of mine, fighting cancer for the last couple of years, died today. He was 47.
As a tribute to him, I thought I'd start a thread about the Christian's hope.
(I'm quite sure he never "accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior.")

Any thoughts?
Should I tell his parents he went to heaven or hell?

Blessings to all,
brian
So sad......I am very, very sorry to hear this brian...so young.

I said a prayer for you today...I've said many prayers for you before today......my friend...May God Bless you and keep you in His loving care...and his family...that all find the hope that lies in Jesus Christ Alone. Amen.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,379,961 times
Hi Brian,

I am sorry about your friend. Tell your friend's parents that their son is no longer in any pain, and the joys to come are beyond our comprehension.

We are all tormented down here at one time or another, but we will finally understand on the other side.

Nobody that dies here would want to come back to live again in decaying bodies on a chaotic planet.

All is well.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,641,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I sure hope he accepted Christ and went to heaven. It is strange you are thinking about telling his parents he went to hell since you don't even believe there is such place. Why would you do that?

PS You don't know if he accepted Christ in his last moments, so you don't really know where he went. I would not tell the parents anything except that it is not for you to say because you don't know.

I agree...good advice. We don't have the final say on whether someone has gone to heaven, or hell...that's up to God alone. I would NEVER tell someone's parents that their departed son/daughter had gone to hell. Even if it were true, think about the potential harm that statement may make, to them, to their mental condition, the rest of their lives. Just IMO...

Bud

Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM

58,463 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If you believe it then why not just come out and say to the parents: "Your son is doomed to spend an eternity in hell for his unbelief."
You don't say that because it would be incredibly cold thing to say that to someone who has just lost their son. It is true, but why would you bring it up to a grieving parent?

What they need is support. Why it is so hard for you to see that?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM

58,463 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I would NEVER tell someone's parents that their departed son/daughter had gone to hell. Even if it were true, think about the potential harm that statement may make, to them, to their mental condition, the rest of their lives. Just IMO...

Bud
Exactly.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,068,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
a friend of mine, fighting cancer for the last couple of years, died today. He was 47.
As a tribute to him, I thought I'd start a thread about the Christian's hope.
(I'm quite sure he never "accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior.")

Any thoughts?
Should I tell his parents he went to heaven or hell?

Blessings to all,
brian

My condolences to you on the loss of your friend, however at this point in time I do not think it would be prudent to discuss with his family members as to where he would go after his death, he may not have believed the same as they did and I am sure that you do not wish to bring up hard feelings at this point in time. I am a firm believer in the fact that a person's belief or non-belief is their business and at times like this it could accomplish nothing but hard feelings to bring such matters up. My suggestion to you would be to offer your condolences to the family and remembered the good times that you had with your friend and leave it at that and let the family grieve in their own manner.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,384,960 times
Brian... was this hypothetical or do you truly plan on confronting the parents? I assumed it was hypothetical to make a point about Christian hope...

Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM

159 posts, read 146,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you think this would be good timing to bring up such conversation?? How tackless are you?

Go ahead and call Christians belief cold if that makes you feel better. It is what it is, and switching beliefs won't make it go away.
What I don't understand is why should perfect justice (if there is such a thing) ever make a good person sad. Unless it's not perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or