U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,689,931 times
Reputation: 528

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it is just me. They went modern, because that was what the majority of the people wanted (I think). Some clap and dance, but I don't do that, and I don't think people need to pretend to like the music if they don't like it.

God accepts any style of worship, including silent prayer, but I do not think he would be pleased to see someone pretend to like bad music. Either you are inspired by it, or you are not. Nowadays I usually attend the Bible stydy sessions and less worship.

PS The messianic Jewish church which I mentined is not my church (I am not Jewish), and they have not gone modern.
I understand and agree with you. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Florida
581 posts, read 632,835 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
...in your Christian walk? I've noticed some people are VERY emotional about it...hugging each other, tears, weeping, jumping up and down with joy, shouting, laughing, etc. For me, I'm often envious of such deep feelings, because much of the time I'm just sort of a matter-ot-fact "the Bible is true, therefore I'm gonna follow it" unsentimental kind of guy, without feeling much of any emotion. It's like I choose to be a Christian because it's right, and not because "it feels right". I'd rather have feelings more often, but I just don't. I'm that way in pretty much everything, not just the Christian walk...just the way it is. Do you think this is normal? Why, or why not? Is it just because we are all "wired" differently, react differently, and therefore it's no big deal?

Bud
Good Post Bud! God just loves you so much!

I want to shout it!!!! Yooooo hoooo are Awesome, Yooooo hoooo are God, Yooooo hooooo are an Awesome God!

I sing to the Lord all the time!
Psalm 150:


1 Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre, 4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute, 5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals. 6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.



Acts 16:25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

Romans 15:9 so that the Gentiles may glorify God for his mercy, as it is written: "Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing hymns to your name." [ 2 Samuel 22:50; Psalm 18:49]

Ephesians 5:19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

My heart wants Him glorified and in turn He makes my heart sing.

People thought Jesus was a fool, dying for his people.
They saw a healer, healing a blind man.
Some see a teacher, speaking words of wisdom.
Some see a martyer, carrying his cross.
Some see a hero, setting his people free.

But I see Love, breaking through heaven everyday.
I see Peace in the eyes of my King.
I see Grace, I see God's face.
I see hope in Jesus' suffering.
I see the calm in the Storm.

I see Love!

God Bless all with the Passion of Christ.
Mercy
P.S. I dream of the day when I lay in front of my God, face first and He asks me to rise and I can raise my hands high and cry out as loud as I can, Holy, Holy, Holy is my God Almighty, who is, who was and is forevermore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Florida
581 posts, read 632,835 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Hi Bud. I have different kinds of emotional feelings with respect to my walk and sometimes they are much stronger than at other times. For me, I get emotional during worship type songs at Church in that tears will fall down my cheeks uncontrollably and, to be honest, I find it quite embarrasing and wish this would not always happen. I am not sobbing out loud or anything but I definitely need a tissue. This is when I seem to be the most emotional. Perhaps I am feeling everyones love for God in one room? I do not understand why I am affected this way.

When I am alone in prayer with God I also tend to get the goosebumps if I feel really at-one with him. (PS: I felt the goosebumps when I read your post and is why I am eager to respond

I know why I personally have become more emotional. A number of years ago I started praying to the Father for his Divine Love to enter my soul. The more I asked, the more he gave and the more I have felt that emotional connection with him. It is his Love that has made the difference!
I am not sure if you have tried this yet or not?
I can understand this so much. I found through prayer this was just pure love of God shining through tears. I used to ask the Lord why. He told me after about four years, He said, " your heart is mine". Tears of endless graditude and praise.
Many people said I was depressed and should go on medication. Tried it for about 3 months (had never taken medication in my life) and the Lord just spoke to my heart and told me get off this and trust in Him. That He was taking me on a His journey. And He has. Every tear I cried, I knew He held in the palm of His hand and He was healing my heart soul, body and mind. Washed every fiber of my being in the blood of Christ and purified me in the fire of the Holy Spirit. Praise His Holy Name! Thank you Jesus!

God Bless,
Mercy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
200 posts, read 210,956 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
...in your Christian walk? I've noticed some people are VERY emotional about it...hugging each other, tears, weeping, jumping up and down with joy, shouting, laughing, etc. For me, I'm often envious of such deep feelings, because much of the time I'm just sort of a matter-ot-fact "the Bible is true, therefore I'm gonna follow it" unsentimental kind of guy, without feeling much of any emotion. It's like I choose to be a Christian because it's right, and not because "it feels right". I'd rather have feelings more often, but I just don't. I'm that way in pretty much everything, not just the Christian walk...just the way it is. Do you think this is normal? Why, or why not? Is it just because we are all "wired" differently, react differently, and therefore it's no big deal?

Bud
Bud, I think you're exactly right when you say we are all wired differently. I know what you're saying...you see people raising their hands, crying, talking audibly during service, unable to contain their joy...and I'm like you. I'm just not an emotional person. I don't think we're repressing anything. That's just "how we iz!"

I remember feeling so out of place because everyone else "seemed" ( I quote that because, honestly, the ones displaying are the ones we see) so into the spirit that they just couldn't contain themselves. So what did I do? I tried raising my hands, closing my eyes, saying, "thank you, Lord, thank you!" And I felt like such a fake!

Bud, don't discount yourself. God knows your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,517,680 times
Reputation: 47458
joy is an element greatly lost in our society. without emotions we get very hard cynical and ruthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,082,914 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
I can understand this so much. I found through prayer this was just pure love of God shining through tears. I used to ask the Lord why. He told me after about four years, He said, " your heart is mine". Tears of endless graditude and praise.
Many people said I was depressed and should go on medication. Tried it for about 3 months (had never taken medication in my life) and the Lord just spoke to my heart and told me get off this and trust in Him. That He was taking me on a His journey. And He has. Every tear I cried, I knew He held in the palm of His hand and He was healing my heart soul, body and mind. Washed every fiber of my being in the blood of Christ and purified me in the fire of the Holy Spirit. Praise His Holy Name! Thank you Jesus!

God Bless,
Mercy
Thanks for sharing Mercy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
 
5,442 posts, read 4,672,358 times
Reputation: 1119
There's much to be excited about when it comes to the Lord, particularly when you see Him moving for people. It's enough to make you want to shout and praise the Lord endlessly. But there's also another side to consider: faith and feelings have absolutely nothing in common. If you're waiting for a feeling from the Lord, you're not using God's faith. Are you waiting to feel healed after a person of God has prayed for that condition to be loosed? If so, then you're not using God's faith. Take you're miracle by faith and watch it come to pass. If a pain crops up, stomp the devil in the ground and declare the Word of the Lord, and with his stripes we are healed. Hallelujah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,568,193 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
... faith and feelings have absolutely nothing in common. If you're waiting for a feeling from the Lord, you're not using God's faith.
Exactly - faith doesn't go by feelings, as that would not be faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 AM
 
433 posts, read 515,516 times
Reputation: 91
The most important emotional feeling is fear -- as far as religion is concerned. Religion exploits such feeling to control its followers.

Most people have natural fears of something bad happening to them. This made them vulnerable to lies and coercions. In other words, sooner or later someone will come along and say something like "an unknowable being will punish you if you don't do what we tell you -- yes, we know the unknowable being."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,689,446 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Different people worship in different ways, and I won't let anyone instruct me how to worship. Near my house there is a messianic Jewish church and people there crawl on the ground, shout, cry, sing, speak in tongues, make funny noices, dance etc, and that's all cool, but it doesn't mean everyone must bring themselves do all that. I find it a great place to pray though. If you want to stand, you stand, if you want to sit, you sit, if you want to lie on the floor, you lie on the floor. The place sounds like a nuthouse, but the presence of the Holy Spirit is very strong. Be yourself, and do what the Holy Spirit inspires you to do. Do not pretend to like the music either. My own church has gone 'modern', and sing 'modern' songs which I have never heard before, and I do not make any attempt to sing along. To me it is noise, and I will not pretend to like it.

We agree here in the basics of what you are saying. I wouldn't say I am old school or modern. Some modern worship music I like, I like some old hymns. I have been inspired by music that some may call devil music.

I have however worshipped to music I absolutely could not stand because it was being sung by someone who I knew was wanting to praise God, I was worshipping in spirit in agreement with this person rather than from the music being the catalyst for my emotions.

But I agree, I will not pretend to like music that does not inspire me or sound good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top