Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times

Advertisements

...in your Christian walk? I've noticed some people are VERY emotional about it...hugging each other, tears, weeping, jumping up and down with joy, shouting, laughing, etc. For me, I'm often envious of such deep feelings, because much of the time I'm just sort of a matter-ot-fact "the Bible is true, therefore I'm gonna follow it" unsentimental kind of guy, without feeling much of any emotion. It's like I choose to be a Christian because it's right, and not because "it feels right". I'd rather have feelings more often, but I just don't. I'm that way in pretty much everything, not just the Christian walk...just the way it is. Do you think this is normal? Why, or why not? Is it just because we are all "wired" differently, react differently, and therefore it's no big deal?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I believe there can be emotions, but we shouldn't depend on them in our walk. Fear, excitement, anger, etc are soulish feelings that are contrary to His life, which is stable and content.

A lot of people look for "happiness", which is derived from the same word as "happenings". We should rather make "joy" our goal, which does not depend on the world around us, for example.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
...in your Christian walk? I've noticed some people are VERY emotional about it...hugging each other, tears, weeping, jumping up and down with joy, shouting, laughing, etc. For me, I'm often envious of such deep feelings, because much of the time I'm just sort of a matter-ot-fact "the Bible is true, therefore I'm gonna follow it" unsentimental kind of guy, without feeling much of any emotion. It's like I choose to be a Christian because it's right, and not because "it feels right". I'd rather have feelings more often, but I just don't. I'm that way in pretty much everything, not just the Christian walk...just the way it is. Do you think this is normal? Why, or why not? Is it just because we are all "wired" differently, react differently, and therefore it's no big deal?

Bud
I think it's the wiring because I am less emotional than most people I know.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,128 times
Hi Bud. I have different kinds of emotional feelings with respect to my walk and sometimes they are much stronger than at other times. For me, I get emotional during worship type songs at Church in that tears will fall down my cheeks uncontrollably and, to be honest, I find it quite embarrasing and wish this would not always happen. I am not sobbing out loud or anything but I definitely need a tissue. This is when I seem to be the most emotional. Perhaps I am feeling everyones love for God in one room? I do not understand why I am affected this way.

When I am alone in prayer with God I also tend to get the goosebumps if I feel really at-one with him. (PS: I felt the goosebumps when I read your post and is why I am eager to respond

I know why I personally have become more emotional. A number of years ago I started praying to the Father for his Divine Love to enter my soul. The more I asked, the more he gave and the more I have felt that emotional connection with him. It is his Love that has made the difference!
I am not sure if you have tried this yet or not?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:

Bud
Different people worship in different ways, and I won't let anyone instruct me how to worship. Near my house there is a messianic Jewish church and people there crawl on the ground, shout, cry, sing, speak in tongues, make funny noices, dance etc, and that's all cool, but it doesn't mean everyone must bring themselves do all that. I find it a great place to pray though. If you want to stand, you stand, if you want to sit, you sit, if you want to lie on the floor, you lie on the floor. The place sounds like a nuthouse, but the presence of the Holy Spirit is very strong. Be yourself, and do what the Holy Spirit inspires you to do. Do not pretend to like the music either. My own church has gone 'modern', and sing 'modern' songs which I have never heard before, and I do not make any attempt to sing along. To me it is noise, and I will not pretend to like it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-07-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
I love you Bud......and you're more loving and sentimental than you think you are...emotionally, you are who you are...and I love who you are...just the way you are. If you were any different, then you wouldn't be BudinAk...and then I wouldn't "know" you like I do (so to speak)...you are precious just the way you are BudinAk......always room for growth and betterment for all of us...God Bless you on your journey...I pray that you be found in His Truth...dear friend.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Different people worship in different ways, and won't let anyone instruct me how to worship. I went to a messianic Jewish church the other day and people were crawling on the groung, shouting, crying, singing, speaking in tongues, making funny noices, dancing etc, and that's all cool, but it doesn't mean everyone must bring themselves to do it. I find it a great place to pray though. Be yourself, and do what the Holy Spirit inspires you to do. Do not pretend to like the music either. My own church has gone 'modern', and sing 'modern' songs which I have never heard before, and I do not make any attempt to sing along. To me it is noise, and I will not pretend to like it.
Just noise? You just wrote "different people worship in different ways", but now that the music is modern, it's not worship but "just noise" to you? God only accepts traditional music/songs as worship? God looks at everyone's heart when they are worshipping him. It doesn't matter if that is a capella or with a choir.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:

Bud
Bud

Humans naturally have emotions and at times they can be repressed for a lot of reasons, when you were a child did you have emotions and then found they decreased over time? or do you feel that you have always been that way? It could be you are just wired that way -- for me I found that during my childhood I had a lot of conditioning and ended up with a lot of repressed emotions, it took me a long time to address this, it took going to a councillor who I trusted to talk about things and work things out .... ...

To me it seems that God gave us all emotions and logic and spirit, and the spirit should reign over both the logic and emotions it seems we need both logic and emotion and that they should work together ....

Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:

Bud
People are made differently. Emotions don't determine truth so you shouldn't be a Christian because it feels right rather you should be one because you believe in Jesus Christ. I think you are normal. There are a lot of people who aren't very emotional. That's not a bad thing!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Just noise? You just wrote "different people worship in different ways", but now that the music is modern, it's not worship but "just noise" to you? God only accepts traditional music/songs as worship? God looks at everyone's heart when they are worshipping him. It doesn't matter if that is a capella or with a choir.
No, it is just me. They went modern, because that was what the majority of the people wanted (I think). They like it, I don't, although I know I am not alone. Some clap and dance, but I don't do that, and I don't think people need to pretend to like the music if they don't like it.

God accepts any style of worship, including silent prayer, but I do not think he would be pleased to see someone pretend to like bad music. Either you are inspired by it, or you are not. Nowadays I usually attend the Bible stydy sessions and less worship.

PS The messianic Jewish church which I mentined is not my church (I am not Jewish), and they have not gone modern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity