Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,889,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
I don't think the Durango is built off of the Ram platform. The first Durangos were a Dakota-based SUV. I think the new ones are Dodge's version of the Grand Cherokee.
Right, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 (2004-2009) were bulit off the Dakota platform. The Gen 3 (2011+) is built off the Grand Cherokee platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,178 times
I wonder if Dodge will ever bring back the Ramcharger.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
I hear if you take off all of those little blue ovals you can gain about 50 extra horsepower.

Those things are anchors, I tell ya.
Why don't you take your opinion, and sho....

Just kidding.

Mostly.

EDIT-for the record, the Chevy pickup's 5.0 had 175 HP. Mine has (had) 190. So I guess the bowtie boys were laggin behind back then too.

hee hee

Last edited by vmaxnc; 07-21-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
Quote:
I wonder if Dodge will ever bring back the Ramcharger.
they did sell them from 1999-2001 in mexico based off Ram 1500 platform and drive train with a dodge caravan backend..I think they did not bring it up to the US/Canada because it was a pretty much just an upsized 2-door only dodge durango..

Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
an upsized 2-door only dodge durango..
That's certainly what it looks like.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why don't you take your opinion, and sho....

Just kidding.

Mostly.

EDIT-for the record, the Chevy pickup's 5.0 had 175 HP. Mine has (had) 190. So I guess the bowtie boys were laggin behind back then too.

hee hee
Heh. Well, anybody who knew anything about the GMT400 trucks knew to get the 350 instead of the 305. Which, of course, did not include my dad who ordered a '96 C2500 Cheyenne with the 305. When I asked him why, he said because they didn't offer it with a V6.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
they did sell them from 1999-2001 in mexico based off Ram 1500 platform and drive train with a dodge caravan backend..I think they did not bring it up to the US/Canada because it was a pretty much just an upsized 2-door only dodge durango..
I was a fan of the styling of that generation of Ram trucks. The end treatment did not do it justice.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Heh. Well, anybody who knew anything about the GMT400 trucks knew to get the 350 instead of the 305. Which, of course, did not include my dad who ordered a '96 C2500 Cheyenne with the 305. When I asked him why, he said because they didn't offer it with a V6.
Isn't it funny how people have such differing viewpoints? I don't understand either why someone would want to buy a heavier duty truck (C2500) with a lesser engine (V6) than a base model (C1500). is right!

I bought mine used, and would rather have had the 351. But they're relatively rare in any color/configuration combo I would have bought. It was a good deal on a good truck at the right time. I thought a 302 would be fine, and it is for any work I do with the truck. But it feels broken after driving my GTO. I think that's most of the problem.

I'm not married to Ford, but I've had three and they've all been great. A comparable Chevy would probably have been fine for my use.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,469 times
[quote=GTOlover;20102736][quote=waitingtundra;20102018]
well the Dodge Ram 2500 HD with the cummins diesel version with a 6 speed manual tranny would be able to do that pretty easy.

The sad truth is Toyota makes plenty of diesel trucks just like the op would luv to have, ya know 35 to 40 mpg indestructable, just wont import into the usa with all the pollution control bs but the rest of the world eats them up there called helux trucks course most last 300 to 400,000 miles and are in the 15 to 20 range check out this video

Indestructible truck. [VIDEO]

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,220,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've done that but I'm interested to read what you have to say in response! Whenever you have time, just keep your fingers from roaming!
lol, ugh, it was terrible. Maybe I should type 3 or 4 smaller posts? lol.

Well I am gonna try this again, but I really dont remember what all I said. I know I was replying to one of your posts on the engine choices, etc... so lets see.

Well, I really dont need a 4wd, but wonder if I should get one anyway. I guess it depends on what kind of deal I get. I would only get the 3.7L V6 if I got a supercab 2wd. Like you said, I think with 4wd or the supercrew, I would definitely want the 3.5L Eco 6 or the 5.0L 8.

Really not sure yet how much I am wanting to spend, but will know in a week hopefully. I think I want to keep it under $35K. I know when you "build your own" on the Ford site, prices are high, but at the actual dealers or looking on ebay, the prices are much lower than the MSRP.

I have mentioned before that our closest Ford dealer has an array of hail damaged F150s, some almost $15K off of sticker price!! They have a gold F150 Lariat supercrew, V8, 4wd priced at $34K... original sticker was $47K. I love all about it, but it dont have the navigation and it has the bucket seats. They do have another 4wd supercrew Lariat that is black with tan interior, with the bench seat, priced around $33K, but no navigation either. I dont think our dealer has any on the lot with the nav option. They have XLT 4wd supercabs as low as $25K, again, they are hail damaged though. I dont know if I would want a hail damaged new vehicle, but if I can save $15,000 off of sticker, I wouldnt mind... especially when you think about if it gets another dent or scratch you wouldnt go crazy. lol. I guess it depends on if any of the hail damaged ones are left when I am ready to buy. The dealer still has many of these hail damaged units left, as they are not selling very well. They dont have any hail damaged ones left with the Ecoboost engines. They have two on the lot with the Eco, but they are not damaged. We have 5 other Ford dealerships within a 25 mile radius and searching inventory, many have the Ecoboosts available. Its kinda strange at the cars I am considering, but I am also considering a '12 Focus SEL and a '11 Taurus Limited. lol.

Well more about the Dodge Rams, I havent been inside one, but some of the dash panels look misaligned and cheap when compared to Ford... same goes for the new Silverado, I see gaps in many of the lower left panels on the dash boards on those. As far as the new Tundra, I have always been a Toyota fan and love the 80s-90s models and loved my 2000 Tundra, but the latest Toyotas have interior materials that seem cheap to me.... the only exception is the Tacoma, which has a nice quality interior. I had been considering a new Tundra, but the big plastic panel that surrounds the dash cluster looks and feels cheap, you cant even touch it without it popping like popcorn.... this isnt the case on the new F150.

Also I know that the size of these trucks make them all safe typically, but it seems like the Ford is rating the best in all of the crash tests. The Ram is getting "safety concern" ratings in the side crash tests, where the Ford and Chevy are getting good ratings. Then the new Ram is only earning 2-stars in the NHTSA 2011 full-frontal crash tests (where the F150 is getting 4-stars for 2011 and was getting 5-stars in the 2010 rating), but they are getting are all getting a good score in the IIHS off-set test, but all of the other big trucks are as well.

I think I covered all I had put the other evening, may have added/removed something, but this was basically it. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram