Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for a second car and I liked these two cars years ago when they were new and now I just realized they are going for really cheap now so they will suit our needs. I was looking for something with a decent interior, good enough space for our three kids during quick rides so I don't have to take my truck everywhere, but doesn't feel like driving a boat. The 300M is an 2003 with 107,000 miles on it and the Grand Prix is a 1998 with 116,000 miles on it. The 300M is about $500 dollars more than the GP. Both appear to be in pretty good condition for the years and both drive well. I always assume when buying a used car that I am going to have to put some money into them for repairs. I was hoping someone on here has some experience with at least one of these vehicles and could give me some insight on what to expect. I was also hoping to get everyone's opinion on which they would buy or something that may be similar. Thanks in advance for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I had an '03 Intrepid that I traded in at 231k miles. It is essentially the same car as the 300M. My engine was a 2.7 so I can't help you there, but the 3.5 was always considered the better one. Wal-Mart supertech full synthetic oil always did me well. The transmission is the same, though. You will probably want to change the fluid every 100k and ask them to wipe the metal shavings off the pan magnet as well as the tips of the input & output sensors.

The trans has a front differential that needs servicing just like a truck, and it uses the same stinky 80w90 oil.

These cars eat front end bushings. At around 100k, you will likely need control arm, sway bar and inner tie rod bushings. It was easy enough for me to do all the work myself with a Haynes manual. You'd be surprised how much better the car will ride, handle and steer with those replaced.

The 2003 models should be fairly hardy vehicles, despite the bad reputation from previous years. I wish they still made them. The Intrepid/300M are nicer cars than the pre-2011 Chargers/300s IMO.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
I had a 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited, basicially the same as the 300M and the car gave me hell after not even a year of owning it.

Over-heated after about 6 months of owning it
gear selector broke
A/C died on me
cable to open the hood broke
Over heated again
A leak under the driver's seat
A leak in the trunk
the screen on the climate control unit went out
The transmission started sliiping

the build quality of the car sucked, everything felt flimsy and cheap. And this is coming from a person that washed and waxed his car atleast once a week, always on time with maintainance, and didn't drive like a nut (ok, most of the time).
After all of the those issues, i said im DONE with Chrysler or any other american brand.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I'd go Grand prix... I am not all up to date on the supercharger maintenance, but I don't think its bad. But the 3800 series II is a really good motor. But more importantly, there is a huge following for the gtp, so that means online there are resources to fix every common problem with ease, and possibly with better aftermarket parts.

That is one thing I always loved about cars that have a following Camaros, Jeeps, Mustangs, etc... an example, 4th gen Camaro motors are common to go out. Usually a $350 repair at a repair shop. There are detailed instructions, I did it my first time for $40 in parts, and in 45 minutes, in a parking garage. I actually did on on a different camaro in less then 30 minutes. Or if its a hard to diagnose problem they can help out.

That and I think most chrysler products around that time are not that great. I with a age difference of 5 years I'd normally say the newer car, but I'd lean towards the Grand Prix. It is a hard call.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I had an '03 Intrepid that I traded in at 231k miles. It is essentially the same car as the 300M. My engine was a 2.7 so I can't help you there, but the 3.5 was always considered the better one. Wal-Mart supertech full synthetic oil always did me well. The transmission is the same, though. You will probably want to change the fluid every 100k and ask them to wipe the metal shavings off the pan magnet as well as the tips of the input & output sensors.

The trans has a front differential that needs servicing just like a truck, and it uses the same stinky 80w90 oil.

These cars eat front end bushings. At around 100k, you will likely need control arm, sway bar and inner tie rod bushings. It was easy enough for me to do all the work myself with a Haynes manual. You'd be surprised how much better the car will ride, handle and steer with those replaced.

The 2003 models should be fairly hardy vehicles, despite the bad reputation from previous years. I wish they still made them. The Intrepid/300M are nicer cars than the pre-2011 Chargers/300s IMO.
Thanks for the response. I like the 300, but I favor the 300M as well. I have read online about them needing the front end serviced a lot. Did you have any issues with the tranny slipping? I also heard that they wear tires out fast, have you noticed that?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I had a 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited, basicially the same as the 300M and the car gave me hell after not even a year of owning it.

Over-heated after about 6 months of owning it
gear selector broke
A/C died on me
cable to open the hood broke
Over heated again
A leak under the driver's seat
A leak in the trunk
the screen on the climate control unit went out
The transmission started sliiping

the build quality of the car sucked, everything felt flimsy and cheap. And this is coming from a person that washed and waxed his car atleast once a week, always on time with maintainance, and didn't drive like a nut (ok, most of the time).
After all of the those issues, i said im DONE with Chrysler or any other american brand.

Wow that is a lot, I am sorry that all happened to you. I have had my fair share of cars with problems and I know how frustrating it is so I feel your pain. I usually don't buy American cars either, but with my Lincoln Navigator being a success for me I have decided to be more open and consider some American vehicles.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I'd go Grand prix... I am not all up to date on the supercharger maintenance, but I don't think its bad. But the 3800 series II is a really good motor. But more importantly, there is a huge following for the gtp, so that means online there are resources to fix every common problem with ease, and possibly with better aftermarket parts.

That is one thing I always loved about cars that have a following Camaros, Jeeps, Mustangs, etc... an example, 4th gen Camaro motors are common to go out. Usually a $350 repair at a repair shop. There are detailed instructions, I did it my first time for $40 in parts, and in 45 minutes, in a parking garage. I actually did on on a different camaro in less then 30 minutes. Or if its a hard to diagnose problem they can help out.

That and I think most chrysler products around that time are not that great. I with a age difference of 5 years I'd normally say the newer car, but I'd lean towards the Grand Prix. It is a hard call.

Thanks for the advice. The supercharger is what was making me nervous since I have never owned a vehicle with one before. I have heard good things in the past about the 3800 series engine.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Thanks for the response. I like the 300, but I favor the 300M as well. I have read online about them needing the front end serviced a lot. Did you have any issues with the tranny slipping? I also heard that they wear tires out fast, have you noticed that?

I never had any issues with the transmission until it reached near 230k miles. Early in the morning when you went from P to R it would feel like it was in partially in neutral. Sometimes I would have to shut it off and re-start, and then it would run fine. That was the biggest reason I traded it in.

Front end & tires: I got some Michelin Hydroedges (90k mile) for that car twice. They lasted about 82k with rotations every 8-10k. I also got alignment packages through NTB. It seemed every other time they rotated the tires, the front end fell out of alignment spec. Not a big deal with a 3 or 5 year plan.

Otherwise, the car had no issues a lot of people complain about. I think the '03s had the problems solved but the reputation still lingered. Also the '04s were just carryovers from '03.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
an example, 4th gen Camaro motors are common to go out. Usually a $350 repair at a repair shop. There are detailed instructions, I did it my first time for $40 in parts, and in 45 minutes, in a parking garage.
Huh? What do you mean by "go out", that could be repaired in 45 minutes for $40 worth of parts?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I never had any issues with the transmission until it reached near 230k miles. Early in the morning when you went from P to R it would feel like it was in partially in neutral. Sometimes I would have to shut it off and re-start, and then it would run fine. That was the biggest reason I traded it in.

Front end & tires: I got some Michelin Hydroedges (90k mile) for that car twice. They lasted about 82k with rotations every 8-10k. I also got alignment packages through NTB. It seemed every other time they rotated the tires, the front end fell out of alignment spec. Not a big deal with a 3 or 5 year plan.

Otherwise, the car had no issues a lot of people complain about. I think the '03s had the problems solved but the reputation still lingered. Also the '04s were just carryovers from '03.
Wow, I haven't seen too many with that many miles on them. What about the gas mileage? Do you know an avg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram