Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM

387 posts, read 408,225 times

Advertisements

Where's the rest of it...Everything is so cookie cutter nowadays. Being a tall man (6'7") i'm forced to buy something the size of a pub-transit bus. I'm really miss the old days..I'm 37 btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Where's the rest of it...Everything is so cookie cutter nowadays. Being a tall man (6'7") i'm forced to buy something the size of a pub-transit bus. I'm really miss the old days..I'm 37 btw.
You'll want to skip the sunroof then.

I'm 5'11" with a long body to leg ratio and had no trouble with the headroom, and that is often a deal killer for me. The sunroof really cuts into that to the point where I barely fit.

As for the good old days, my mom's cousin was 6'8" and drove a VW Beetle as it was the only car he could find that fit him well. My dad's Buick didn't work well for him at all. Ergonomics really never was big with the Big 3.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I read a lot of critical scribbling here regarding a car that is obviously not going to be like the classic small barge of the 70's which were typical 70's Big 3 RWD indifferently assembled underengineered junk. So now that we know they aren't even close to being the same car, just sharing a nametag, maybe the armchair experts should do as I did. Go the the dealer, find the 1.4 Turbo and take it for a drive.
A "small barge?" I owned and drove a '66 Dart GT V-8 for many years and it never felt like a small barge to me. It felt like what it was... a compact car. It's also amazing how long many of those "underengineered" cars lasted!

Quote:
I suspect that the experts who tell us that the 1.4 doesn't have the power to get this car rolling have never driven one. I admit that past experience with small displacement engines led me to believe that starting from a dead stop was going to require some flogging and fancy clutch work, this is not the case at all. The 1.4 has plenty of juice on tap to get rolling and will move out in a spritely fashion. The 6 speed manual is gated nicely, the clutch starts hooking up from the bottom and the throw isn't too long, it is a very easy car to drive and the general feeling is of a much larger car. I spent some time in a "classic" Dart on a road trip and the new Dart is a better car in every way. As it should be, with 40 years of advancement.
Again, I owned a '66 Dart GT V-8 for a long time and I would probably rather take a road trip in that than in a new Japanese-lookalike "Dart." Mine had lots of real metal... even the A/C vents were metal!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
I've been given another opportunity to kill a Dodge Dart from the 60s. I can't wait for the day.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
No it is not a Neon it is a Fiat based platform which is about the same in terms their history of having shoddy build quality and terrible reliability along with major fit and finish issues.
Yeah, because a series of fixed hard points -- the definition of a "platform" -- predetermines a car's build quality and reliability.

Oh hai! MotorWeek's Driver's Choice Award for Best Compact Car!

Gee, it looks like more and more people are being forced to suck it with every new Chrysler vehicle release!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Even if the Dart is a great car (which it isn't, it's going to have major reliability issues, I see a Neon II here) I would still never sit behind that driver deathbag. Seriously, Dodge, make the &#^$ing airbag smaller. Maybe Dodge should start buying airbags from other companies. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, Hyundai, Kia... all have this driver airbag thing down by now.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
"Even if the Dart is a great car (which it isn't, it's going to have major reliability issues, I see a Neon II here) I would still never sit behind that driver deathbag. Seriously, Dodge, make the &#^$ing airbag smaller. Maybe Dodge should start buying airbags from other companies. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, Hyundai, Kia... all have this driver airbag thing down by now."

Ahem... "The Dart gets top five-star results in both frontal and side impact--even in the new side pole test--from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). And the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has rated the Dart 'good' in all of its test categories--and a Top Safety Pick. The company notes that the car's frame uses 68 percent high-strength steels in several different grades."

"I owned a '66 Dart GT V-8 for a long time and I would probably rather take a road trip in that than in a new Japanese-lookalike "Dart." Mine had lots of real metal..."

"The company notes that the car's frame uses 68 percent high-strength steels in several different grades."

I'm a long way from being a Chrysler fanboy, pretty much anything Mopar I've ever owned was crap, but I owned those cars a long time ago and they have nothing in common with the cars of today. You know, for a car as common and widespread as the Darts were back in the day, you never see them today. I guess they held up really well, eh?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
"Even if the Dart is a great car (which it isn't, it's going to have major reliability issues, I see a Neon II here) I would still never sit behind that driver deathbag. Seriously, Dodge, make the &#^$ing airbag smaller. Maybe Dodge should start buying airbags from other companies. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, Hyundai, Kia... all have this driver airbag thing down by now."

Ahem... "The Dart gets top five-star results in both frontal and side impact--even in the new side pole test--from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). And the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has rated the Dart 'good' in all of its test categories--and a Top Safety Pick. The company notes that the car's frame uses 68 percent high-strength steels in several different grades."

"I owned a '66 Dart GT V-8 for a long time and I would probably rather take a road trip in that than in a new Japanese-lookalike "Dart." Mine had lots of real metal..."

"The company notes that the car's frame uses 68 percent high-strength steels in several different grades."

I'm a long way from being a Chrysler fanboy, pretty much anything Mopar I've ever owned was crap, but I owned those cars a long time ago and they have nothing in common with the cars of today. You know, for a car as common and widespread as the Darts were back in the day, you never see them today. I guess they held up really well, eh?
I see '60s Darts from time to time. In fact, I see more '60s Darts than I see '60s Mercedes! You can't really expect to see that many 45-year-old cars, especially when many were not maintained properly.

That's great that the new "Dart" uses 68% high-strength steel, but it still looks (and probably drives) like yet another Japanese car. As if there aren't enough of those. Not to mention a 90% plastic interior. I'll stick with a '60s Dart, preferably a '69 340 GTS.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:

Out of all of the Chrysler products from that time. I see the Dart the least. I see Chargers to Barracudas to even Belvederes but not Darts (maybe 10 in my entire life)

Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Yeah, I think the 2013 Dodge Dart is not selling well... It's not a beautiful car like the3 new Ford Focus which I see a lot of on the road. To date I have not seen one new 2013 Dodge Dart on the road yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram