U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM

243 posts, read 908,720 times

Advertisements

After fiddling with 2 new keyless entry devices for my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I came to realize the problem may be within the car itself.

In short I need to be standing next to the drivers door for it to work. Move 10 feet away and nothing. I tested the strength of the transponder key itself at one of those test devices at Autozone and it got a good 40-50 feet.

So this begs the question.. where is the receiver within the Jeep and can it be repaired/replaced? I am hoping this is something simple perhaps like a bad antenna on the receiver, but I dont even know where to look for thie device in the car. Google this and there are many opinions about the location of the receiver. I do have the overhead temp display & a sunroof if it matters.

Help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,604,807 times
Not familiar with Jeep system, but GM had the same problem and it's a quick $10 fix. I can now open my door from across the parking lot.....
Don't have the web site available now, am away from home... It is a factory system or after market??

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
After fiddling with 2 new keyless entry devices for my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I came to realize the problem may be within the car itself.

In short I need to be standing next to the drivers door for it to work. Move 10 feet away and nothing. I tested the strength of the transponder key itself at one of those test devices at Autozone and it got a good 40-50 feet.

So this begs the question.. where is the receiver within the Jeep and can it be repaired/replaced? I am hoping this is something simple perhaps like a bad antenna on the receiver, but I dont even know where to look for thie device in the car. Google this and there are many opinions about the location of the receiver. I do have the overhead temp display & a sunroof if it matters.

Help is appreciated!
The keyless entry receiver and antenna are in the passenger door and are part of an integrated module that also works the locks and windows for the passenger side. You can easily open up the door and find it. In some cases the antenna will be kinked or damaged and there's your problem. Anyone with a decent amount of electronics repair experience could replace the antenna as it's a simple piece of wire. If the module itself is faulty, you not only need to replace it, but also have it programmed by the dealer. All in, you're probably looking at around $400 or so to have the module replaced and programmed.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM

373 posts, read 488,292 times
What? a jeep that has some odd ball expensive to fix electrical problem? Why thats unheard of.., very rare indeed......You almost have to go to the dealer with this one...lol

Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,396 times
I am trying to locate the keyless entry transmitter for a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, everything i have read says it is in the passenger door, however, I can't find it. Can you please help me ??

Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 AM

686 posts, read 363,372 times
Would this be a good time to point out that.......

A key will open the door. And start the engine. Voila.

xx.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:11 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Dying battery in the key fob?:

Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times
I recently bought a 2004 grand cherokee limited, everything was fine till about 3 days ago. Then the keyless entry stopped working on everything but the drivers door, (which also happens to be the only keyhole on the thing) So of course, this being my first jeep, (not to mention my first keyless remote) I thought it may be something to do with the key fob. But apparently it's something else, as none of the inside electrical door lock controls (with the exception of the drivers door controls, which only works for the drivers door) seem to be working.
I thought it may be a fuse or a programing issue, but although I have read the owner's manual several times, I am at this point drawing a blank. The only thing of use I got from the manual is that there is a emergency liftgate release, (Somewhere, And it doesn't state where) which can be accessed through a snap-in cover located on the liftgate trim panel??. No details whatsoever. Doesn't state if it's inside (which would make sense) or outside, which makes no sense at all. Any ideas or help that I receive at this point would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid that this is gonna wind up being a dealership resolved problem and I'm dreading that. Thanks.
Bob. Reddawg442@gmail.com

Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,615 times
Default reply to reddowg

I am experiencing the same problem with the same vehicle. Regarding the emergency open the hatch method described in the manual, I agree with your opinion about its wording. I have determined that it is on the inside trim. I found it before the need for it and did not know why the opening is there. I have not actually used it yet. My keyless remote will function about once every two or three days, and it opened the hatch and I have not been locked out of it again yet.
I am working with the used car people I bought it from now for them to find the problem. How did you (if you have) solve the problem? I will post here with results of my solution when it has occurred.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,615 times
Default followup to keyless entry problem 2004 JGC

My problem resolved itself around the first of May, but has recurred as of about June 25th. I get no response at all now. The driver door is the only one that works at all, and that is by operating the rocker switch (after unlocking it with the key). It is supposed to unlock the hatch as well, but does not. I regret buying this jeep as it will become way too expensive to pay for dealer repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram