Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM

243 posts, read 1,200,462 times

Advertisements

04 Grand Cherokee 125k i6
Basically when I was on the highway and took my foot off the gas and then pressed it again there would be a bit of a small "bang" as the gears reconnected. That along with some fluid I saw coming out of both sides of the rear axel I figured it was time to get it looked at.

I brought it to A well known transmission mechanic chain

They showed me immediately that the drive shaft had an easy 1/4 turn to it that could be moved by hand. This supposedly explained why when I took my foot of the gas and then hit the gas again I felt the gears reconnect. They said the problem was with the rear axel. Gears worn and bad seals.

8 days later I got my car back. This was to only take 2, but there were wrong parts coming in, brake line issues, and shimming issues. This is a story in itself.

So I have had my car back for 24 hours. Driving fine.. then I notice the same problem as before with the the bang... but only at highway speeds. Not as bad, but it is there. To clarify, this was driving ok when I drove it away from AAMCO yesterday. Being closed til monday I cannot do much til then.

According to the bill they put in New Ring & Pinion, Spider Gears, and a seal kit. This was billed at 7.5 hours. Looking under the wear on the original drive shaft matches the part that it connected to before it goes inside the gear housing. I am not sure if this was a part that was to be repaired (ring and pinion). I will try to get a photo on the next post.

Sorry for the long details, but I am hoping for some advice on what is going on. After the extended repair time, I am fearing a bit of a problem going forward.

thanks!

Last edited by TheViking85; 03-30-2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Name of Company removed per the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Here is the photo

Old 03-24-2012, 03:37 PM

Appreciate the detailed response.
Moderator cut: Off Topic It always seemed to take an extra day to finish... and then an extra day... and an extra day. They said they had issues shimming the motor too. What I found odd now that I think about it is they said they kept getting the wrong drive shaft in. Too short or too long. Call me crazy, but it doesnt look like the drive shaft was replaced.

The work is warranted for a year so I know I am covered in writing. Paid with a credit card too so I know worst case and last case I can file a charge back. But that is an absolute last resort.

So does this sound like they just didnt do the job right and I am back to square one? I am at a loss as to how this worked good for 24 hours. Any details that I can say to them so it sounds like I know what I am talking about?

Last edited by TheViking85; 03-30-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 PM

2,728 posts, read 5,341,103 times
There is absolutely no reason for them to have been "shimming the motor." In fact, I don't have the slightest idea what that could mean.

The good news is that if it's warranted, they have to fix it.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Perhaps it wasnt the motor, but they used the term shimming over and over.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:34 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
Did you ask for the old part back?? Good way to keep'em fairly honest.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Moderator cut: Off Topicare my concerns legit? I mean I should not feel any gear slip or reengage above 50 MPG if this was done correctly? I cannot go in there telling them they suck based on public opinion... I need facts.

Is it possible they gave me crap parts or could it be a bad install.. or both?

Thanks!

Last edited by TheViking85; 03-30-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
Moderator cut: Off TopicThere are other things that can cause the same noise you're describing. Have you taken it back and had the shop look at it? Give 'em a chance to make it right. It could be something as simple as being low on transmission fluid assuming it's an automatic.

Last edited by TheViking85; 03-30-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
There are other things that can cause the same noise you're describing. Have you taken it back and had the shop look at it? Give 'em a chance to make it right. It could be something as simple as being low on transmission fluid assuming it's an automatic.
Not yet. Just happened today, Saturday and they are closed. Picked up the car yesterday, Friday.

It isnt just the noise, its the matching jolt when the hitting the gas and the gears re-engage above 50 MPH. So you hear it and feel it. Not a hard jolt but enough to gently move your unsuspecting head back and forth for a moment.

Last edited by TheViking85; 03-30-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Surely they checked the transmission mounts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram