Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times

Advertisements

Hello. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. The next door neighbors were out spraying things in their yard and it was nice and windy outside and now their paint is on my jeep and windshield.

When the sun hits my windshield its like a million sparkly crystals and I can see anything! What I want to do is stick my boot where the sun don't shine but that is not going to help my 7 month old windshield!

Does anyone know how I can get this spray paint off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,972,344 times
Cleaning the windshield should be easy. Get some gasoline/rubbing alcohol, put it on a rag, and wipe down your windshield. Then take an ice scraper, or trowel, anything with a flat edge, and scrape the windshield carefully. It should come right off.

For the paint, get the car wet, then try rubbing with a terry cloth, if that alone doesn't work, use some polishing compound. The quicker you remove the paint, the easier it will be. I had this happen to me once during the summer... Came home to find the paint had baked on my car for hours. I could clean the windshield, but the paint was screwed.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hello. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. The next door neighbors were out spraying things in their yard and it was nice and windy outside and now their paint is on my jeep and windshield.

When the sun hits my windshield its like a million sparkly crystals and I can see anything! What I want to do is stick my boot where the sun don't shine but that is not going to help my 7 month old windshield!

I think any paint thinner or even brake fluid will do but I'd have your neighbors pay for it since they did the damage.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Those paint droplets shouldn't stick very well to your car. They may just flake off naturally in the next few days and weeks when you wash it. The droplets probably hit your car almost dry already (small drops dry very quickly moving through air).

If you want to be more aggressive - a clear coat safe compound could be used.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Cleaning the windshield should be easy. Get some gasoline/rubbing alcohol, put it on a rag, and wipe down your windshield. Then take an ice scraper, or trowel, anything with a flat edge, and scrape the windshield carefully. It should come right off.

For the paint, get the car wet, then try rubbing with a terry cloth, if that alone doesn't work, use some polishing compound. The quicker you remove the paint, the easier it will be. I had this happen to me once during the summer... Came home to find the paint had baked on my car for hours. I could clean the windshield, but the paint was screwed.
Oh sheesh, thats bad. Well, it was black paint and I have a black jeep and it's older, so that shouldn't be such an issue.

I really don't appreciate this happening, and in all honesty, I think the neighbors should be taking care of it. I still may say something because they are always out there doing things like this....

Thank you for the advice!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
I recommend you use a scrpaer like you would on a ceramic stove top the use either BonAmi or Bar tender friend as GM recommended to get film off windshields. It will not scatch the glass. I would think that ceramic stove top cleaner would work but never read it recommended or used it for that purpose. You use the cleaner by using a wet sponge then put the cleaner on it and rub.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
Quote:
Oh sheesh, thats bad. Well, it was black paint and I have a black jeep and it's older, so that shouldn't be such an issue.

I really don't appreciate this happening, and in all honesty, I think the neighbors should be taking care of it. I still may say something because they are always out there doing things like this....

Thank you for the advice!
I would absolutely confront my neighbors if this was their doing. There is no reason why you should have to deal with marred paint.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think any paint thinner or even brake fluid will do but I'd have your neighbors pay for it since they did the damage.
NO NO NO, never do you put brake fluid on any paint unless you want to remove the paint down to the bare metal.

I see a lot of bad info on this forum but this is a topper.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times
Quote:

First and really important.......Don't touch this paint overspray!

This is Comp damage that should be covered by either the person who was dumb enough to spray paint in the open so that paint overspray could drift over your vehicle or your insurance company. Call your insurance company to file a claim to get it removed correctly.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
I'd do this first and get there home owners info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I would absolutely confront my neighbors if this was their doing. There is no reason why you should have to deal with marred paint.

If you are going to tackle this yourself, use a clay~bar to try to remove it first before trying any solvent or have a auto_body shop give you a estimate.

for the glass you can use lacquer thinner/ toulene and or a razor blade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram