Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Here's the scoop on the Jeep Liberty CRD. EGR's were a real problem for them. A computer reflash (about $500) from an aftermarket supplier, Green Diesel Engineering, pretty much solves it. Make sure that the warranty replacement of the tranny torque converter was done. I suspect few are still running around that didn't have it done. All of the 2002-2006 Liberties were prone to power window motor failures--to the tune of about $300-$400 for a replacement.

The CRD suspension out of the factory was both weak and had insufficient ground clearance for anything but the mildest backcountry use. About the best solution is the Frankenlift II suspension made especially for the Liberty CRD. It improves the ground clearance and gives the Liberty stout enough front springs to bear the extra weight of the diesel engine.

Adding all of that to a used CRD will add about $3,000-$5,000 to the purchase price. What you get in the end is reasonably competent 4WD with about the best fuel economy one can get out of a true 4WD vehicle--better than most AWD's, for that matter. Maintained properly, the CRD should be a 250K-300K mile engine. The downer, as noted, is that the Liberty is small on the inside--less interior space than the vehicle it replaced, the Cherokee.

A big caveat emptor when buying a used CRD is determining (almost impossible to do) whether or not the correct engine oil was used in the engine. The Liberty CRD engine required specific synthetic oil for proper lubrication. Using "standard" 15W-40 diesel motor oil in the engine can shorten its life considerably.

There are not many people that I know with CRD's. The ones that I know who have/had them either loved or hated them. The ones who love them plan on keeping them forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Here's the scoop on the Jeep Liberty CRD. EGR's were a real problem for them. A computer reflash (about $500) from an aftermarket supplier, Green Diesel Engineering, pretty much solves it. Make sure that the warranty replacement of the tranny torque converter was done. I suspect few are still running around that didn't have it done. All of the 2002-2006 Liberties were prone to power window motor failures--to the tune of about $300-$400 for a replacement.

The CRD suspension out of the factory was both weak and had insufficient ground clearance for anything but the mildest backcountry use. About the best solution is the Frankenlift II suspension made especially for the Liberty CRD. It improves the ground clearance and gives the Liberty stout enough front springs to bear the extra weight of the diesel engine.

Adding all of that to a used CRD will add about $3,000-$5,000 to the purchase price. What you get in the end is reasonably competent 4WD with about the best fuel economy one can get out of a true 4WD vehicle--better than most AWD's, for that matter. Maintained properly, the CRD should be a 250K-300K mile engine. The downer, as noted, is that the Liberty is small on the inside--less interior space than the vehicle it replaced, the Cherokee.

A big caveat emptor when buying a used CRD is determining (almost impossible to do) whether or not the correct engine oil was used in the engine. The Liberty CRD engine required specific synthetic oil for proper lubrication. Using "standard" 15W-40 diesel motor oil in the engine can shorten its life considerably.

There are not many people that I know with CRD's. The ones that I know who have/had them either loved or hated them. The ones who love them plan on keeping them forever.
Sounds like another "project" just waiting to happen.
Suspension, computer reflash, my mind's already making me shudder again.

Interior size, I'm not too concerned about since it's only going to be used intermittently.

Subaru's seem nice, but I'm not really interested in a gasser if I decide to go through with another vehicle purchase.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Sounds like another "project" just waiting to happen.
Suspension, computer reflash, my mind's already making me shudder again.

Interior size, I'm not too concerned about since it's only going to be used intermittently.

Subaru's seem nice, but I'm not really interested in a gasser if I decide to go through with another vehicle purchase.
A whole lot depends on how you intend to use the vehicle. The Outback is a good AWD vehicle and it is more capable of backcountry use than most AWD's, but it still is not a true 4WD that can be used on arduous backcountry trails. The CRD--modified with the better suspension--absolutely is off-road capable on nearly all but they very worst 4WD trails--the kind that most people never see in their lives.

The major advantage of the CRD is its fuel economy. Its highway fuel economy can approach 30 mpg, which is pretty comparable to the Outback. The difference is that the CRD, because it is a turbodiesel, will simply run away from an 2.5 Outback clear up to 11,000 feet elevation. Going for the bigger engine or the gas turbo in the Outback sinks its fuel economy. I drive a 7,500 lb. (empty) 3/4 ton 4WD pickup for some of my work that will get better fuel economy than the 3.0 6 in the Outback. All of that said, where the CRD really kicks tail on the Outback in fuel economy is in low-speed driving. The Outback may sink down as low as the teens in fuel economy with strictly that kind of driving, while the CRD will typically maintain 20 mpg under the same kind of driving.

It's really sad that there is no true 4WD sold in the US with a turbodiesel that will allow it to get the fuel economy and to perform as well as the CRD. With the advancements made in diesel technology and transmission technology, even since the CRD was sold in the US in 2005-2006, a similar vehicle today could easily get near 40 mpg on the highway. But, of course, none of the US automakers will build one, and none of the foreign manufacturers want to go through the agony of trying to get one of their very good turbodiesel 4WD's EPA-certified for sale in the US, what with the limited market for those vehicles.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM

219 posts, read 657,945 times
Not to burst anyone's diesel bubble. But if you look at CRD Libertys on fuelly.com, a nice site to find real-world combined MPG, they don't seem that outstanding.

Better than gas Liberty yes, 30 mpg, no. More like 25-27 and those are the people who seem to baby them for maximum MPG. Torque-y and neat but nothing amazing.

The new Euro Spec Grand Cherokee coming out though, now that's something.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
A whole lot depends on how you intend to use the vehicle. The Outback is a good AWD vehicle and it is more capable of backcountry use than most AWD's, but it still is not a true 4WD that can be used on arduous backcountry trails. The CRD--modified with the better suspension--absolutely is off-road capable on nearly all but they very worst 4WD trails--the kind that most people never see in their lives.

The major advantage of the CRD is its fuel economy. Its highway fuel economy can approach 30 mpg, which is pretty comparable to the Outback. The difference is that the CRD, because it is a turbodiesel, will simply run away from an 2.5 Outback clear up to 11,000 feet elevation. Going for the bigger engine or the gas turbo in the Outback sinks its fuel economy. I drive a 7,500 lb. (empty) 3/4 ton 4WD pickup for some of my work that will get better fuel economy than the 3.0 6 in the Outback. All of that said, where the CRD really kicks tail on the Outback in fuel economy is in low-speed driving. The Outback may sink down as low as the teens in fuel economy with strictly that kind of driving, while the CRD will typically maintain 20 mpg under the same kind of driving.

It's really sad that there is no true 4WD sold in the US with a turbodiesel that will allow it to get the fuel economy and to perform as well as the CRD. With the advancements made in diesel technology and transmission technology, even since the CRD was sold in the US in 2005-2006, a similar vehicle today could easily get near 40 mpg on the highway. But, of course, none of the US automakers will build one, and none of the foreign manufacturers want to go through the agony of trying to get one of their very good turbodiesel 4WD's EPA-certified for sale in the US, what with the limited market for those vehicles.
Well, I actually went through with the purchase of an '06 from Littleton.
$14k with 41,000 miles on the dial.
Drove it all the way back from there down to Clovis and I felt it was getting just as good mileage as one of the smaller cars I usually rent.
I feel what you're saying about the high-quality Diesels sold in Europe and how we here in the states are relegated to the limited choices offered by sellers here.
In the meantime, I'm basically using this as sort of a general purpose/road-trip vehicle.
Those modifications mentioned earlier will be done eventually.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, I actually went through with the purchase of an '06 from Littleton.
$14k with 41,000 miles on the dial.
Drove it all the way back from there down to Clovis and I felt it was getting just as good mileage as one of the smaller cars I usually rent.
I feel what you're saying about the high-quality Diesels sold in Europe and how we here in the states are relegated to the limited choices offered by sellers here.
In the meantime, I'm basically using this as sort of a general purpose/road-trip vehicle.
Those modifications mentioned earlier will be done eventually.
You got a good deal.

The Green Diesel Engineering Eco-tune will improve the CRD's fuel economy over stock. http://www.greendieselengineering.co...=+++++++++++++

The GDE reflash also cures most all of the running deficiencies of the CRD that Chrysler should have addressed before the CRD was ever put on the market in the US.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
You got a good deal.

The Green Diesel Engineering Eco-tune will improve the CRD's fuel economy over stock. http://www.greendieselengineering.co...=+++++++++++++

The GDE reflash also cures most all of the running deficiencies of the CRD that Chrysler should have addressed before the CRD was ever put on the market in the US.
I'm eventually going to get on that before I start using it for some long road trips.
Until then, the Haynes manual or whichever guides are sufficient for thumbing through.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
  • The Green Diesel Engineering Eco-tune will improve the CRD's fuel economy over stock. http://www.greendieselengineering.co...=+++++++++++++
  • This tune increases fuel economy by 3-5mpg on average.
  • Performance is increased along with a broader torque curve for improved towing capability.
  • Horsepower is increased to 185.
  • This tune protects the stock torque converter and limits torque output to 270 ft*lb when the TC is in lock-up mode. In all other situations the torque generated can reach 335 ft*lb.
  • EGR is eliminated and no more soot will enter the intake manifold and low rpm throttle response is more reactive.
  • Other features include linear fuel gauge, less use of viscous heater, engine oil stays cleaner, visible smoke reduced, and exhaust temps are reduced.
^ is not epa complaint=illegal.

Just unplugging the egr will gain 1-3mpg but you will get a cel.
It's no big deal just cover it up with some window tint.
If a real problem comes up the hud will alert you.
then straight pipe it/delete pipe and ditch the dpf &

nox, use 100ohm resisters to fool(the heat probes) the ecm not to regen again.
and save even more fuel.
all with out reprogramming the ecm

Quote:
You got a good deal.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Default Crd

Quote:

Great info above for sure.
Most Chrysler Jeep Dealers sold or had very few. The CRD is not a common engine so the Techs did not have much experience working on them. Parts are expensive. I would only buy this vehicle if I knew for sure someone could repair it with confidence and a fair price.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
If you are the type of person that , and I don't mean this as an insult or anything but you might not be the most mechanically inclined type I would not recommend a diesel. I've been a diesel owner since 2000 and even though I don't do all my wrenching I do most of my diagnostics. It's just very hard to find a good diesel tech and almost impossible to find one at a dealership. That Liberty having a Cummins might not be as hard to find a good tech as say a VW TDI. If you end up with a diesel though you should do your research and learn a little about them...actually I feel anyone that drives should have some knowledge of the vehicle they trust their lives too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram