Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times

Advertisements

Ive owned many Jeeps over the years but what I have been noticing lately is a whole different breed of Wrangler owners. Once its warm enough out the top and doors come off my Jeep and only go on when there is rain or something in the forecast. The whole point of buying a Wrangler is because of their ability to take it down to nothing and not only cruise on the pavement but anywhere else you want to go. I have noticed lately that I see very few Wrangler owners with the top off, they have windows up and the A/C on. I have also seen a large number of new Jeep owners with hardtops that are never removed. I dont understand...if you dont want to take the top off why not buy a Grand Cherokee?

They say never lock a Wrangler because you will either have a ripped top and your valuables stolen or you can leave it unlocked and just have your valuables stolen. Regardless, its very easy to steal out of a Wrangler which is why you should never keep anything valuable inside. I was at Lowes the other day and someone pulles up in new Wrangler next to mine. We both got out at the same time. Mine was wide open (top and doors off) while he took the time to roll up the windows and arm his alarm, I had to shake my head.

Another thing I have noticed is that many new owners dont do the Jeep wave anymore. Its in the Jeep bible that if you have a Wrangler and you pass someone else in one that you wave. Yes its kind of cheasy but those are the rules, lol. Learn them.

It seems as though people buy Wranglers just to say they have them but would be better suited with a Grand Cherokee. Another thing not related to Jeeps....what up with people who drive convertibles that have the top down and the windows up, or the top down, front windows down and the back windows up? Never understood that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
I've owned a couple TJ's myself and enjoyed top down when the weather was appropriate. Really hot days, mid day, I would just bake and had to have the top up. (Baked by the sun).

That said, on the right day (particularly summer evenings) I loved to have the top down.

Inconvenience is part of it. Hard top owners have a very heavy fiberglass and window top to remove and store to be top down. It takes time to unbolt it, and multiple people (or a roof lift) to take it off. If that is the only top, it's rarely (if ever) coming completely off.

Soft top owners have less problems, but more than a Miata. Unzipping, unlatching, and folding back the top takes some time. I suspect the 4 door JK's a little more too. It's not something I would do daily for a 15 minute commute home or trip to the store, only to turn around and put it back up.

Finally, I rarely put it down if the weather was iffy. I did not want the inconvenience of a soaked interior, or soaked me putting it back up.

Besides, there are other fun and unique things about a Wrangler which sets it apart from everyone else's SUV.

Top down can definately be fun, but for some owners it just is not practical to run top down all the time.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
Having seen the newer Jeeps, they are so "luxurious" now that they are bought by mainstream buyers who only drive them to malls and back. These are the people that don't roll down their automatic windows on a nice day, so you can forget about taking the doors and top off!

As for convertibles, windows help direct and control air flow, so different combinations of open/closed are useful for different situations. You wouldn't put the windshield down on your Jeep if you were taking a highway trip, would you?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:57 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,426 times
This isn't a new trend.

Look at the majority of people who own FJ Cruisers, Land Rovers, or SUVs in general with brush guards and off-road accessories.

For many people, appearance is the most important thing.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,200 times
As soon as the 4 door JK hit the streets it became a mommy wagon.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
Jeeps are a lot of fun but I would become bored with mine if I never removed the top. I wouldnt even own one if the top and doors didnt come off. I think Jeep is partially to blame to be honest. These things now come with power windows, nav, alarms, electronic this and that, etc.. I remember when carpet was an option, lol. Wranglers idea was to be basic and off road capable. If you wanted a step up with all the amenities you bought a Grand Cherokee. Its like buying a cesna and taxiing it around town instead of flying it to where you are going. Defeats the point of owning one in my opinion.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
I wish jeep would bring back a modern but retro version of the Cherokee XJ.... I mean heck they could just base it off the Wrangler Unlimited and it would be a huge hit...

Jeep kind of sold out their rugged off-Road cache name plate with the FWD/AWD based Compass and Patriot twins

Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
I've had several jeeps but I HATE soft tops.

Ironically, the only place where it's nice to go topless is on short trips in the city; long trips without a top become nighmarish torture runs with sunburns, wind noise, ringing ears, giant headaches, important stuff blowing out and a liberal coat of dust on everything.

Wranglers are the last "old school" 4X4s and if off roading is your priority, a Grand Cherokee is a step down. My next Jeep will be a hardtop.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Jeeps are a lot of fun but I would become bored with mine if I never removed the top. I wouldnt even own one if the top and doors didnt come off. I think Jeep is partially to blame to be honest. These things now come with power windows, nav, alarms, electronic this and that, etc.. I remember when carpet was an option, lol. Wranglers idea was to be basic and off road capable. If you wanted a step up with all the amenities you bought a Grand Cherokee. Its like buying a cesna and taxiing it around town instead of flying it to where you are going. Defeats the point of owning one in my opinion.
I certainly do not disagree really about the uniqueness of the Wrangler with the top down experience, minimalist interior, etc.

Yet, Chrysler seems to know what they are doing! Sales of them are at all time high's and they get a TON for them. I test drove a 4 door JK last fall, as a possible tow vehicle for our modest pop up. Salesman gave me a well optioned Sahara (but not fully loaded) which stickered for $35K something! My 2002 Sahara TJ was $19K and change OTD! I could not believe the sticker! Overall it was a nice truck too. More modern creature comforts but still felt rugged inside. They did a nice design balance to give the feel while getting more in there. Yet, I did not like it one bit. Maybe it was the added size of the long wheelbase, but it really did not have that fun feel of the TJ at all (or of 2 door JK's I have driven in the past).

Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Well then, of course, people may also be starting to factor in skin cancer.....

My 98 Cherokee Sport just got dropped off in the shop. :*(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram