Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times

Advertisements

Well, we went out for breakfast and to get my bf a haircut and we were on our way home and he missed the turn. I figured since it was a nice day we were going for a ride. We ended up at the Jeep dealership looking around and test driving.

I still have my Cherokee sport (98). I much prefer the body style of the older ones but this one is wearing on me.

It certainly has a much smoother ride. We were looking at the Overlands but I just don't need all of that.

He bought me the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Very nice.

Any things anyone has noticed that they like/dislike about it so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
Neighbor across the street has owned one for a couple years, but it's the newest body style (2012?). His was in and out of the shop for the first few weeks of ownership for some kind of fluid leak. I want to say transmission, but not sure. Like you, he had a late 90s Jeep that had served him well, so he was a bit upset to have these kind of issues with a newer model. Finally got it resolved and has not had an issue since, to my knowledge.

Mike

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,675,590 times
I traded in my '12 GC Laredo for a '14 Limited as soon as they started shipping to dealers. I got mine straight off the delivery truck, actually . It went from the car carrier to the service bay haha. I love my '14. I bought it because I wanted the new 8 speed, rear diff and the infotainment setup, I have the 8.4AN radio...love it. I can definitely tell a difference between the 5 speed my '12 came with and the 8 speed with the new diff...more power on takeoff and shifts much, much smoother. Picked up another 1200lbs of towing capacity too. Going with the Limited got me a fair number of options I didn't have on the other one as well, so that was a plus.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,138,644 times
Congrats, love the new car smell!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,379,382 times
Must be nice! Go out for a haircut, end up with a truck!

Go out for dinner, buy a house??

Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
Very nice choice, I think those things look great.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:19 PM

928 posts, read 2,704,589 times
I also have a neighbor with a new GC. He loves it.
It is a black limited ( I think ), beautiful vehicle IMO.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
The thing that I don't like about the new Grand Cherokee is that, at its best with Overland model, it performs no better off road than a well-equipped '98-'02 Cherokee, but with ton more of mechanical and electronic complexity (not to mention an astronomical price tag). The only bright spot for the '14 GC is the availability of the very competent VM Motori 3.0 V6 diesel as an option, but that comes at a price premium, plus having to pay for the overpriced rest of the GC.

I think that Chrysler is already realizing that the new GC is laying an egg with its high price, especially with the diesel option tagged on top. The 2014 Ram 1500 pickup will have the 3.0 diesel available throughout the basic to fancy trim lines of the Ram, with a lower price tag for the diesel option than the GC diesel option. About $2K of suspension modifications to the Ram 1500 will make it more off-road competent than the GC ever will be, while keeping the total purchase price (including the aftermarket suspension) at least $7K to $10K less than the GC, along with much less mechanical complexity. I also see few of the yuppie/"I'm cool" crowd actually using the GC for 4-wheeling. They are just "Mall-crawl" four-wheelers. Those of us who actually use a 4WD for its designed purpose (and I do for my work at least a couple of days every week, plus recreational use) would probably go for the diesel 1500 Ram ahead of the Jeep GC "yuppie-mobile."

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,675,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The thing that I don't like about the new Grand Cherokee is that, at its best with Overland model, it performs no better off road than a well-equipped '98-'02 Cherokee, but with ton more of mechanical and electronic complexity (not to mention an astronomical price tag). The only bright spot for the '14 GC is the availability of the very competent VM Motori 3.0 V6 diesel as an option, but that comes at a price premium, plus having to pay for the overpriced rest of the GC.

I think that Chrysler is already realizing that the new GC is laying an egg with its high price, especially with the diesel option tagged on top. The 2014 Ram 1500 pickup will have the 3.0 diesel available throughout the basic to fancy trim lines of the Ram, with a lower price tag for the diesel option than the GC diesel option. About $2K of suspension modifications to the Ram 1500 will make it more off-road competent than the GC ever will be, while keeping the total purchase price (including the aftermarket suspension) at least $7K to $10K less than the GC, along with much less mechanical complexity. I also see few of the yuppie/"I'm cool" crowd actually using the GC for 4-wheeling. They are just "Mall-crawl" four-wheelers. Those of us who actually use a 4WD for its designed purpose (and I do for my work at least a couple of days every week, plus recreational use) would probably go for the diesel 1500 Ram ahead of the Jeep GC "yuppie-mobile."
I dunno. I bought my '14 through a group buy on a Jeep forum, and it's still going hardcore. Most of us have bought Limiteds and Overlands, and the majority either off road them or tow with them. Depending on where you're going, I'd rather have the smaller size of the GC than try to fit a full size pickup through some of the trails I've driven on.

That said...I can't speak for other areas of the country, but here in the Northern VA area..I see GC's all over the place, and most of those are Limiteds and up. Clearly, the price isn't a problem, they're flying off the dealer lots. I've heard that Jeep is selling every GC they can make.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

I guess you are the one who left me the jeeps are junk for yuppies rep. I also have a 98 Cherokee sport and I don't think it is junk either..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I dunno. I bought my '14 through a group buy on a Jeep forum, and it's still going hardcore. Most of us have bought Limiteds and Overlands, and the majority either off road them or tow with them. Depending on where you're going, I'd rather have the smaller size of the GC than try to fit a full size pickup through some of the trails I've driven on.

That said...I can't speak for other areas of the country, but here in the Northern VA area..I see GC's all over the place, and most of those are Limiteds and up. Clearly, the price isn't a problem, they're flying off the dealer lots. I've heard that Jeep is selling every GC they can make.
I am also in Nova and I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram