Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What's "wholesale" value for a used car?
There is no wholesale for a used car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ivey View Post
Wife bought a Grand Prix 5 years ago from a well known dealership. It was a "certified" car. Never thought of carfax back then. Traded it in, at another dealership and they said it was wreaked before.
Could the dealership prove the car had been wrecked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
By wholesale, the OP probably means auction value. Usually, dealers take cars in on trade a few hundred dollars (basically their auction expenses) back of the auction price in case they have to unload the car. On the other hand, dealers might pay more if they plan to keep it on their lot.

This is how I determine a fair price of a used car. I go to Autotrader and look at asking prices for cars over a large geographic area, say 200 miles, and they I look for the lowest 20 cars and see what they are going for. This is basically the price to shoot for. Basically, I think a select few dealers price cars to move very quickly with little effort and the others are in the game to haggle.

22,000 is probably a little low. I bet 23-24,000 is more doable.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Thus my question to the poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob
By wholesale, the OP probably means auction value.
Yeah, but your regular consumer isn't going to have access to Mannheim auction values and the likes.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
There is no real hard and fast rule on haggling. As a very general, generalization, most dealers aim for a $4k-$5k markup on a used vehicle. That means, if they buy trade it or buy it at auction for $20k they will put it on the lot for $24k-$25k. Of course, this is ultimately governed on both ends by market prices.

How much a dealer actually pays for a used car is usually controlled by current auction pricing. Dealers will generally pay up to (sometimes even over) auction value for a pristine example of a popular car, but usually aim for a price a few hundred under auction so they have the ability to dump it if needed. The retail price is set by the retail market and is basically how much a dealer thinks they can get for the car based on what other dealers are selling similar cars for. Added in the mix is any expense the dealer needs to pay for reconditioning the car before sale. This can be a simple detail all the way up to new tires and brakes.

Put it all together and what you realize is that every single used car on a lot has it's own unique price range. In general though it will always bottom out on auction value and top out on retail market. Dealers aren't stupid and it's rare for them to be into a car for more than it is worth.

What usually happens is that a car hits the lot at market retail and then is gradually lowered down to within a few hundred dollars of auction value. This process usually plays out over a period of 60 days or so. By the time you get into the 60 day range the dealer has the marked price bottomed out (within say $500 of absolute lowest they can go) and they are getting the car ready for auction. So, if you walk on the lot then, don't expect to get much of a break off the sticker price as it is already reduced significantly.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 PM

69 posts, read 118,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

Could the dealership prove the car had been wrecked?
yeah, they showed me on carfax.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
What I have done in the past is first do your research on the vehicles value, then going in person make a firm offer that you are happy with and wait for their response.

If the salesperson comes back after talking to their sales manager with a no then turn around and start walking out, 90 percent of the time they wont let you get out the door and if they do try another dealer.

Dress nice and don't call, this negotiation is done in person!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram