Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM

155 posts, read 274,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I have to laugh at the Dodge truck commercial ever since the 2014's came out.

Deep voice, " Ram tough", bragging about best fuel economy.
You then find out that in order to get that fuel economy you would have to buy a v/6 and 2WD.

In the farming area of Minnesota , where I used to live, farmers needed a "tough" truck. However, you would be hard pressed to find a Dodge dealer with a V/6 .........2WD on his lot.

Certainly nobody needing a "Ram tough " would even consider a v/6 .....2wd as even coming close to that description !
But now that Dodge is owned by Fiat, we can expect some real tough, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Oh please. Every manufacturer's marketing plan is to try and convince buyers their truck is "tough." They want the image spread across the line.
Except Honda. They target the white-collar weekend DIYer. I even have a trunk in mine for groceries

Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Except Honda. They target the white-collar weekend DIYer. I even have a trunk in mine for groceries
The Ridgeline is a different animal. Certainly it is not competing in the full size pickup market.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Most fuel mpg claims are based off the lightest least optioned smallest motor driven in a granny like manner. See when a manufacturer claims our truck gets a industry leading 22mpg that's what it's based on the 2wd v6 stick shift no power options manual everything tiny tire short bed truck. Joe Cool goes to the dealer he wants the crew cab full decked out optioned 4x4 and all he wants is to hear these trucks get 22mpg and you look great in it but. Hhhhrrrrhhhhh. The...22 mp.... Hhhrrrghhhh the noise you just heard translates - the mpg I just quoted is based on that truck at the end of the lot nobody really wants)

Most people that buy trucks like to say my truck gets 22mpg, has 300hp and tows a house. Doesn't matter if it does none of those things. The manufacturer claimed it so its true

Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrician4you View Post
most fuel mpg claims are based off the lightest least optioned smallest motor driven in a granny like manner. See when a manufacturer claims our truck gets a industry leading 22mpg that's what it's based on the 2wd v6 stick shift no power options manual everything tiny tire short bed truck. Joe cool goes to the dealer he wants the crew cab full decked out optioned 4x4 and all he wants is to hear these trucks get 22mpg and you look great in it but. Hhhhrrrrhhhhh. The...22 mp.... Hhhrrrghhhh the noise you just heard translates - the mpg i just quoted is based on that truck at the end of the lot nobody really wants)

most people that buy trucks like to say my truck gets 22mpg, has 300hp and tows a house. Doesn't matter if it does none of those things. The manufacturer claimed it so its true

bingo !

Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
'Deep voice' is that of Sam Elliot. In many movies, usually westerns but remembered as the cowboy in the bowling alley in 'The Big Lebowski'. Was on last night on IFC unedited.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM

302 posts, read 368,635 times
I LOOOOOVE THIS TRUCK !! Cummins engine , diesel and a ****load of haulin power !!
Guess that's why my angus cattle rancher friends like it too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
To be honest I would just go look for a 2-3 year CPO Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins it will not have any first year issues and will hold it's resale value better then 3.0 Ecodiesel

Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Yep! THIS is a farm truck...
sorry, but i have worked around farm country, and that truck is too mice to be a real farm truck.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:19 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Most fuel mpg claims are based off the lightest least optioned smallest motor driven in a granny like manner. See when a manufacturer claims our truck gets a industry leading 22mpg that's what it's based on the 2wd v6 stick shift no power options manual everything tiny tire short bed truck. Joe Cool goes to the dealer he wants the crew cab full decked out optioned 4x4 and all he wants is to hear these trucks get 22mpg and you look great in it but. Hhhhrrrrhhhhh. The...22 mp.... Hhhrrrghhhh the noise you just heard translates - the mpg I just quoted is based on that truck at the end of the lot nobody really wants)

Most people that buy trucks like to say my truck gets 22mpg, has 300hp and tows a house. Doesn't matter if it does none of those things. The manufacturer claimed it so its true
Except the part you guys are missing is that the current crop of V6's have nearly as much and in some cases more power then the V8's of even a couple years ago and 2WD trucks have always had higher tow ratings then their 4WD counterparts.

2014 4.3 V6 Silverado 2WD:

Horsepower: 285
MPG: 24 highway
Payload: 2,108 pounds
Towing: 7,200 pounds

2009 4.8 V8 Silverado 2WD:

Horsepower: 295
MPG: 20 highway
Payload: 1,947 pounds
Towing: 7,200 pounds

2009 5.3 V8 Silverado 2WD:

Horsepower: 315
MPG: 20 highway
Payload: 1,628 pounds
Towing: 6,600 pounds

Now, a lot more goes into it then that when figuring out what you need for towing, but as someone who spends most of their day dealing with fixing, speccing and buying trucks that do real work; oil patches, railroad, utility companies, etc. the current crop of V6 trucks are incredibly capable.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I have to laugh at the Dodge truck commercial ever since the 2014's came out.

Deep voice, " Ram tough", bragging about best fuel economy.
You then find out that in order to get that fuel economy you would have to buy a v/6 and 2WD.

In the farming area of Minnesota , where I used to live, farmers needed a "tough" truck. However, you would be hard pressed to find a Dodge dealer with a V/6 .........2WD on his lot.

Certainly nobody needing a "Ram tough " would even consider a v/6 .....2wd as even coming close to that description !
There's so much wrong with this that it's hard to know where to start.

First off, when I think of "tough," the displacement of the engine and number of drive wheels don't come to mind at all. I think durable; dependable; takes a licking and keeps on ticking. A two-wheel-drive with a V-6 can fit that image as well as a four-wheel-drive with a V-8 as far as I'm concerned.

In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to find a V-6/4x2 equipped truck on any lot, anywhere. Not because everbody needs a V-8 4x4, but because that's what most people want; it costs money to keep a vehicle on the floorplan, so the dealers stock what they can turn quickly and special order what won't. I live in farming country myself, and one of the biggest complaints I hear from truck shoppers is that they can't buy a "Plain Jane" truck off the lot.

As far as farmers go, my father in law farmed for 30 years before he bought a 4x4 in 1979. He only used it to drive in the winter when the roads were bad. It had less than 20K miles on it when he died a couple of years ago. His primary "farm truck" was a six-cylinder, three-on-the-tree, two-wheel-drive 1970 Chevy with a stock rack in the back that he used to haul hogs to the sale barn evey Saturday. When it gave out in the mid-1990s he started using the six-cylinder, three-on-the-tree, two-wheel-drive 1986 Chevy that had previously been used as his "go to town" truck in the same way (except for hauling hogs, he got out of that business at about the same time).

In my observation of human behavior, it comes down to this: People who need a truck tend to buy what they need and nothing more; people who want a truck often buy one equipped with a bunch of stuff they'll never use, let alone need. And those are the folks who tend to project this idea that everybody who buys a truck should get one equipped just like theirs. Not sure why, but I'm guessing it's some kind of defense mechanism that kicks in and makes them feel like they need to justify their choice somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram