Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,964,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A Jeep is the wrong vehicle for frequent, very long road trips.
I disagree with this. Why? Based upon how I use one for frequent, very long road trips and my kids and I love it. Are there better vehicles in terms of specific features? Sure, but that doesn't mean that my Wrangler doesn't work for my family. It works just fine, and most who ride in it end up wanting one for themselves. That's just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 04:54 PM

7,360 posts, read 12,604,025 times
Thanks to Mack and Belovenow for your input. So I guess it's a matter of both head and heart! Is there a Jeep, in your opinion, that is better suited for the long road trips, + on dirt roads, than the Sahara? Like I said in my previous post, I've done extensive research on other brands. I think the Liberty may not be any bigger than the CRV, but I'm willing to consider it.

Surprised to see that the Jeep forum got folded into a broader forum overnight...

Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,927,376 times
Whether or not a Wrangler is acceptable to you will depend on you. Nobody here can tell you conclusively what you will or will not find acceptable or "good."

I drove my TJ all over the place, all day drives, etc. It was fine on the highway. Was it a Buick Roadmaster cloud-mobile? No. I never expected it to be.

Maybe ask the dealer if you can take the Sahara for a day or overnight because you want a longer evaluation period. Take it for an hour or two drive down the highway somewhere. That should give you a good idea how it will be for you in terms of comfort, ride, etc, and make a better call on whether you will like it or not on longer road trips.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 PM

Better yet, I think we'll rent one for a weekend trip If we can find a rental company that carries Saharas. That should tell us everything we need to know, and it will be fun, too. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Whether or not a Wrangler is acceptable to you will depend on you. Nobody here can tell you conclusively what you will or will not find acceptable or "good."
Of course. I didn't mean for anybody to make any choices for me--I just asked for personal impressions by Jeep owners, which I got, so thanks again.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,921,345 times
I have a 2010 JKU. I just got it used, excellent condition 68,000 miles last July. It's good on the highway. It's not amazing, but it's better than I thought. With the hard top on, it's only noisy when it's windy out. Otherwise, I don't notice a lot of noise like many claim. However, I do notice it sometimes doesn't like to go above 60 mph. It literally feels like the Jeep doesn't want to go faster. Sometimes, it's a struggle to get it above 60, but like the wind noise issue, this isn't a constant thing. TBH, not sure if there's anything to this, but it seems to depend on the weather. Some days, I can fly just fine going 70, 75, and others I can barely hit 60.

Now, with the soft top, I have an issue with the back windows coming undone at the velcro and flapping in the wind. They're zipped in so they won't fly off, it's just the velcroed top and side that becomes an issue in the right wind and with the right speed. It's a nuisance but not super terrible, not even in the rain. It doesn't really leak when that happens. I just fix the windows whenever I stop.

Can't complain so far, though. I truly love my Jeep. I wanted one for a while and am happy with it.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,747,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I have a 2010 JKU. I just got it used, excellent condition 68,000 miles last July. It's good on the highway. It's not amazing, but it's better than I thought. With the hard top on, it's only noisy when it's windy out. Otherwise, I don't notice a lot of noise like many claim. However, I do notice it sometimes doesn't like to go above 60 mph. It literally feels like the Jeep doesn't want to go faster. Sometimes, it's a struggle to get it above 60, but like the wind noise issue, this isn't a constant thing. TBH, not sure if there's anything to this, but it seems to depend on the weather. Some days, I can fly just fine going 70, 75, and others I can barely hit 60.

Now, with the soft top, I have an issue with the back windows coming undone at the velcro and flapping in the wind. They're zipped in so they won't fly off, it's just the velcroed top and side that becomes an issue in the right wind and with the right speed. It's a nuisance but not super terrible, not even in the rain. It doesn't really leak when that happens. I just fix the windows whenever I stop.

Can't complain so far, though. I truly love my Jeep. I wanted one for a while and am happy with it.
Yep, gotta love the old 3.8 minivan engine. Just don't test drive a new one; once you experience cruising at 80MPH on an uphill slope, speeding up and passing with ease in a JKU you will instantly find yourself in a shiny new Pentastar-equipped Jeep with a mortgage-sized car payment... like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram