Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:23 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times

Advertisements

So we've had an extensive discussion wherein the wonderfulness of the Jeep off-road was touted

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ch-turkey.html

so how bad really is the Jeep on the highway? I've never driven one myself, having decided that I didn't really need a Jeep.

This is not an irrelevant question even if you like to drive off-road, because not all of us can afford a vehicle only for off-road use, and even if we did, we would probably have to take the highway to the off-roading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Newer is better, JK is decent, TJ is okay, CJ and YJ are not good

Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
The new Jeeps are fine on the road. They've definitely made them more roadworthy over the years. Test drive one and you'll see. I'm shooting for a 4 door Wrangler for a retirement vehicle. They're fun to drive and hold their value well.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
I'll add this. If you lift it be careful about how it's done. Most stock suspended Jeeps have reasonably good street manners. Leaf sprung will require shims to bring the caster adjustment back if longer shackles are used on the front. In the TJ (1997) and newer go no more than a 2" lift without going to a long arm lift or the link angles become 2 extreme

Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
The coil spring ones are fine. The leaf spring ones especially the two door short wheelbase lol not so good. Maybe zip around town but long trips its a kidney buster

Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I had two TJ's. One I drove 8 hours from here to Washington DC as my longest single stint drive, and have done numerous 4 hour plus trips various places. I have also driven a JK and JKL.

They are not a luxury car but are not too bad. Wind noise is higher than you will find in most things. More in a soft top than a hard top. Nothing I could not stand, but I did my long distance highway driving with the hard top for a little more comfort. (I had both).

Ride is ok. The newer long wheelbase JKL's are better than the shorter, and any 2008+ JK will be better than the prior TJ's. Either is ok. On broken highways or those with expansion joints which are bad you will notice them, but it is ok.

They are solid axle truck chassis, so they are not ever going to be car like. However, I found them acceptable.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Default Jeepers Creepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Newer is better, JK is decent, TJ is okay, CJ and YJ are not good
Yepp, I agree 100%

I worked at a Jeep Dealer and was offered a new Wrangler as a demo.
I was a hero to my kids driving a cool new Jeep, but I couldn't stand the horrible ride.
I tried several, but they all made me have motion sickness.
I know I am getting old, and I drove CJs as a kid , but I had to pass on driving a new Jeep.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
My answer is if you have to ask you are probably not a good fit. I have a TJ with the top off all the time. I would never take it for a road trip on the interstate. I'd rather ride my motorcycle first.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
So we've had an extensive discussion wherein the wonderfulness of the Jeep off-road was touted.

So how bad really is the Jeep on the highway? I've never driven one myself, having decided that I didn't really need a Jeep.
Simple answer, Rational . . .

I love my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 (the last year for the American Motors "all metal" Jeep prior to the Chrysler takeover), however, driving it on a freeway makes me appreciate the hardships our forefathers endured while crossing the prairies in buckboards a few centuries ago.

I would no more consider taking my Jeep on a long haul trip than I would consider taking a canoe trip across the Pacific Ocean.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
I thought the YJ I drove was just an awful highway driving experience. The 4.0 and manual box was great off road, but freeway speeds were just down right scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram