Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times

Advertisements

We have a "Lifetime Power train warranty" on our Dodge 2008 2500, 46,000 miles.

Transmission not engaging when put into drive: some delay. Fluid fine, been checked at around 30,000 miles..

Had truck taken to dealer, dealer says, no such thing as a "lifetime warranty". Chrysler says, we needed to have a 50,000 mile service. Also says somewhere...in our warranty booklet (did not get one) that the service needed to be done +- 5 months of 5 years...?

Dealer that does/did our service at 30,000 + oil changes says they always check the trans. for leaks and fill if needed.

How else would you check a trans...no leaks, fluid ok...

Looks like a battle brewing with Chrysler ....this is the 5the Dodge I have had. First truck had over 300,000 miles on it ( 1966 D-100).

Now this 2008 with 46,000 has a trans. problem..

Any "help" is appreciated.

OH, dealer where truck is says to send them $1000.00 before they can give an estimate for repairs

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 02:18 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
My parents had a 2008 Wrangler ... what a giant Chrysler POS that thing was.

It had NUMEROUS electronic failures over the course of 4 years they had it.

The worse problem was the 3.8L minivan engine that burnt 1 quart per 650 miles. Chrysler said it was normal ... even when it started knocking.

Chrysler = garbage.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
I have had no issues whatsoever getting warranty work performed with Chrysler (personally and recently having owned a 2012 Dodge Charger with the 5.7 and 2013 Wrangler with the 3.6). Provided you took care of any of the requirements they lay out in your service contract or manual (basic scheduled maintenance in accordance with their terms, not abusing it offroad etc.) you should be just fine. It all depends on the dealership and your relationship with them. If they deny you even though you did everything by the book you have the option to go to another dealer or escalate it to Chrysler corporate. If your dealership sold you a lifetime powertrain warranty, did they require any specific or escalated maintenance intervals in order to retain the warranty? Was it a factory warranty or aftermarket?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
My nephew bought a 2010 Durango that had nothing but electrical gremlins. Nothing worked on it, windows, wipers, radio, etc. The last time he took it in they gave it back to him just like he took it in with not much working that takes electricity and told him never bring it back. His correspondence with Chrysler was never answered and corporate was zero help. He's now driving a Tahoe and loves it. The wifes boss bought a Durango earlier this year. They've already traded it for a Tahoe. Said they had too many issues that the dealers either couldn't fix or wouldn't fix. I had a Dakota back in 2000 that Dodge couldn't keep running. The rear axle mount on the passenger side wasn't even welded to the frame. The firewall wasn't welded to the body on the passenger side either which caused the windshield to break. The final straw was the PCM dying on a country road in 115F heat. I had to walk 6 miles to get to a phone as there is no cell service there. It took them 4 weeks to find another PCM. The truck had 32,000 miles on it when it got traded for an F150.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:16 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty - Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Crossovers - Warranties

Someone brought this up a few months ago.. This, in the FAQ..

• Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
  • A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.

That's pretty black and white.. They don't charge you for the inspection, but they have to do it, and it must be done within 60 days of each 5 year anniversary.

Since it is a no-cost inspection.. Not routine maintenance.. I assume that is how they are able to say that it must be done by their authorized dealer.. Because, a normal warranty.. They couldn't decline warranty coverage because the work was done by someone else. So long as the work was done.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My nephew bought a 2010 Durango that had nothing but electrical gremlins. Nothing worked on it, windows, wipers, radio, etc. The last time he took it in they gave it back to him just like he took it in with not much working that takes electricity and told him never bring it back. His correspondence with Chrysler was never answered and corporate was zero help. He's now driving a Tahoe and loves it. The wifes boss bought a Durango earlier this year. They've already traded it for a Tahoe. Said they had too many issues that the dealers either couldn't fix or wouldn't fix. I had a Dakota back in 2000 that Dodge couldn't keep running. The rear axle mount on the passenger side wasn't even welded to the frame. The firewall wasn't welded to the body on the passenger side either which caused the windshield to break. The final straw was the PCM dying on a country road in 115F heat. I had to walk 6 miles to get to a phone as there is no cell service there. It took them 4 weeks to find another PCM. The truck had 32,000 miles on it when it got traded for an F150.

What a shame. It sounds like you/your boss/family don't live in the USA or somewhere with a lemon law statute. Here in MA all of these things would have easily have been covered if that was the case unless the owners just gave up.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
If your not getting anywhere with the dealer, call Chrysler customer service. Tell them your problem with the car, and dealer's reluctance to help. I have known people who have faired will with them and found Chrysler corporate willing to help.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
After the problems we had with a 2002 Jeep Liberty we wouldn't go near a Chrysler service department again. We tried 4 different ones in the region and they all tried to rip us off.

1. At 8,000 miles they had a recall for ball joints. The next day my wife came home and had no brakes when she stopped in the driveway. I looked when I got home and the inside of one front tire was covered in brake fluid. Had it towed back and according to their work order found "caliper bolts were loose."

2. At 10,000 miles took it in for an oil change, they said it needed the power steering, transfer case, and transmission fluid changed. According to the manual the power steering was never mentioned, the others were at 60,000.
They said if I didn't do it the warranty would be invalidated. I had them do it and paid but about a week later after a lot of effort including calls to Dearborn I got it refunded.

3. The original warranty was 3 years/36,000 miles. At 31,000 the belt was shredding and thy wanted to charge us saying it was 2 years 24,000. Even after we showed them the warranty statement in the manual they didn't want to do it until I said I would call Dearborn from my cell phone to verify.

4. At 90,000 the transmission needed a rebuild. I took to to an independent transmission shop.

5. At 97,000 I took it in for another recall, airbag issue. When picking it up they wanted to put on new front brake pads, telling me they were barely legal
thickness and would fail within a few days. I declined and took it to my own mechanic to be replaced. He called me later to say they were still at about 60%.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
After the problems we had with a 2002 Jeep Liberty we wouldn't go near a Chrysler service department again. We tried 4 different ones in the region and they all tried to rip us off.

1. At 8,000 miles they had a recall for ball joints. The next day my wife came home and had no brakes when she stopped in the driveway. I looked when I got home and the inside of one front tire was covered in brake fluid. Had it towed back and according to their work order found "caliper bolts were loose."

2. At 10,000 miles took it in for an oil change, they said it needed the power steering, transfer case, and transmission fluid changed. According to the manual the power steering was never mentioned, the others were at 60,000.
They said if I didn't do it the warranty would be invalidated. I had them do it and paid but about a week later after a lot of effort including calls to Dearborn I got it refunded.

3. The original warranty was 3 years/36,000 miles. At 31,000 the belt was shredding and thy wanted to charge us saying it was 2 years 24,000. Even after we showed them the warranty statement in the manual they didn't want to do it until I said I would call Dearborn from my cell phone to verify.

4. At 90,000 the transmission needed a rebuild. I took to to an independent transmission shop.

5. At 97,000 I took it in for another recall, airbag issue. When picking it up they wanted to put on new front brake pads, telling me they were barely legal
thickness and would fail within a few days. I declined and took it to my own mechanic to be replaced. He called me later to say they were still at about 60%.
You called auburn hills Deaborn is Ford.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty - Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Crossovers - Warranties

Someone brought this up a few months ago.. This, in the FAQ..

• Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
  • A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.

That's pretty black and white.. They don't charge you for the inspection, but they have to do it, and it must be done within 60 days of each 5 year anniversary.

Since it is a no-cost inspection.. Not routine maintenance.. I assume that is how they are able to say that it must be done by their authorized dealer.. Because, a normal warranty.. They couldn't decline warranty coverage because the work was done by someone else. So long as the work was done.
There is actually a law against that. Any licensed service shop can perform this inspection, including regular oil change shops, as long as records of the inspection(s) are maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram