Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
My Tundra was more powerful than the RAM by far...I've had a Dodge.

And the Highlander was freaky fast for a SUV. I don't care what the specs say. I could do 0-60 in under seven easy.

The tundra was also a 3/4 ton. I bought a limited edition package they only made about a thousand of, as I recall. Gift from a wealthy client who built monster trucks and was an automotive engineer.
Yeah my 2009 Tundra only has the mid-level 4.7 V8, and it feels like it could blow the doors off of the F-150s (5.4) I drive at work. The Fords are also rattle boxes, while my Tundra feels nice and solid with no annoying noises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 PM

375 posts, read 296,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah my 2009 Tundra only has the mid-level 4.7 V8, and it feels like it could blow the doors off of the F-150s (5.4) I drive at work. The Fords are also rattle boxes, while my Tundra feels nice and solid with no annoying noises.
I agree, bro. The guy who was saying the RAM is equal in power or even better was obviously reading stuff only and had never driven any of the vehicles in question. Including my old freaky fast Highlander!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
I've had good luck with Dodge vehicles long term although I've only had 2. I've never been all that interested in them but the ones I've bought were good purchases:

'03 Intrepid, bought with 7k miles for $15,000. I ran that to 231,000 miles before trading in. Never had a problem with the 2.7 engine (sludge problems were fixed by '02) but always ran synthetic oil from day 1. I sent it in for 2 warranty repairs, it had a couple of minor problems I fixed myself, and I stayed on top of the maintenance. Good build quality in & out, overall a solid car.

'11 Journey, bought new for $22,500. One of our current vehicles w/ 61k. It has the 2.4L, 7 seats and all the options that were available. It's a basically a city car / grocery getter with an occasional highway trip. Sent it in to the dealer twice: once because there was a secret TSB to flash the computer and another because the CD player died. Runs like a champ, have not had any problems with it. Also no issues w/ build quality, and I plan to run this one into the ground as well.

Good bargains if you do some pre-purchase research & keep them maintained.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 AM

106,603 posts, read 108,757,383 times
i was glad i bought the optional warranty on the jeep . 3 weeks ago it developed a really bad death wobble .

while not really bad there was some wear in the steering damper and 4 ball joints and a wheel bearing so the dealer replaced all . . so that alone paid for the warranty

Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Chrysler made the mistake of partnering with Mitsubishi for their compact and midsize cars. At the time of their partnership, Mitsubishi was a good brand until their sandal broke and their sales dropped off. But by that time, all of Chrysler's 4 cylinder and some V6 engines were all from Mitsubishi and they didn't have anything in those sizes developed in house. The partnership with Mercedes brought about the RWD sedans and coupe. The last of the Sebring/Avenger were nothing more than a Mitsubishi Gallant. The Dodge Caliber shared the same foundation as the Mitsubishi Lancer. When FIAT took over Chrysler, they developed the last Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart, both built upon the same heavy FIAT platform and using FIAT 4 cylinder engines. Now that more customers are buying SUVs over cars, The Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart are completely gone due to extremely poor sales. Most of Chrysler's SUVs and trucks were developed by Chrysler, not Mitsubishi, MB, nor FIAT. While this will help to keep Chrysler's head above water, what will happen when gas prices increase and consumers' taste in vehicles change back to midsize and compact sedans again? They don't have ANYTHING in this category. The 200 and Dart weren't BAD cars but they just couldn't compete in terms of fuel efficiency and acceleration. They had the added handicap of being FIAT.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
P

CHRYSLER EXTENDED THE WARRANTY TO 10 YEARS ON THE HEADS , THEY EXPECT SO MANY TO FAIL EVENTUALLY
No, you have it backwards. If they were not confident the heads will not fail, they would not extend the warranty. You see auto makers are in business to make money. Thus, they do nto warranty the things that will not last. Hence, things like batteries, belts, shocks/struts, brake shoes, etc are often excluded form warranties.

Do you think Hyundai's 100,000 mile warranty was offered because they thought their cars woudl all break within 100,000 miles? If so, then there is no point in further discussion. You will never understand how business works.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No, you have it backwards. If they were not confident the heads will not fail, they would not extend the warranty. You see auto makers are in business to make money. Thus, they do nto warranty the things that will not last. Hence, things like batteries, belts, shocks/struts, brake shoes, etc are often excluded form warranties.

Do you think Hyundai's 100,000 mile warranty was offered because they thought their cars woudl all break within 100,000 miles? If so, then there is no point in further discussion. You will never understand how business works.
Sometimes those extended warranties on defective parts are nothing more than settlements to class action lawsuits, or an attempt to try to keep existing customers from going to other brands.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Chrysler made the mistake of partnering with Mitsubishi for their compact and midsize cars. At the time of their partnership, Mitsubishi was a good brand until their sandal broke and their sales dropped off. But by that time, all of Chrysler's 4 cylinder and some V6 engines were all from Mitsubishi and they didn't have anything in those sizes developed in house. The partnership with Mercedes brought about the RWD sedans and coupe. The last of the Sebring/Avenger were nothing more than a Mitsubishi Gallant. The Dodge Caliber shared the same foundation as the Mitsubishi Lancer. When FIAT took over Chrysler, they developed the last Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart, both built upon the same heavy FIAT platform and using FIAT 4 cylinder engines. Now that more customers are buying SUVs over cars, The Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart are completely gone due to extremely poor sales. Most of Chrysler's SUVs and trucks were developed by Chrysler, not Mitsubishi, MB, nor FIAT. While this will help to keep Chrysler's head above water, what will happen when gas prices increase and consumers' taste in vehicles change back to midsize and compact sedans again? They don't have ANYTHING in this category. The 200 and Dart weren't BAD cars but they just couldn't compete in terms of fuel efficiency and acceleration. They had the added handicap of being FIAT.
I agree on the Mitsu platform totally.

I am not sure dumping the 200 and dart is necessarily a death blow to FCA if gas prices were to drastically rise. The marketplace is not just shifting to behemoth SUV's these days. The fastest growing segment is the B-Class CUV, which are little more than sub-compact station wagons geared to appeal to frugal CUV buyers. In many cases their fuel mileage rivals the subcompact cars they share their platforms with. FCA is already peddling the Jeep Renegade, and will soon bring the redesigned and much better Compass to market to compete more in the compact/subcompact CUV markets. If gas prices rise, I bet these lower CUV markets expand, not shrink, as people downsize from thirstier CUV's.

FCA is also not about to abandon sedan development due to the European market. They will have car platforms that are adaptable if they decide a market suddenly exists.

Until the 200 got axed, it's sales figures were growing and solid. The real problem, as Marchionne put it, is that they did not make money on them, and they make a ton off of Cherokees. So it made more sense to use the manufacturing capacity to produce profit earning vehicles, vs loss leaders to "maintain" a market segment.

Only time will tell in the end if that is a bad decision. If gas prices do not suddenly spike in the near or mid term, I doubt this move hurts them one bit.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your opinion doesn't make it so, there are plenty of happy Chrysler owners. The bigger question is why are you concerned about it, do you own one? Do you have nothing better to do than than complain about your perceived reliability?

I'm on my 5th Dodge in 32 years of driving, haven't had a problem of note with any of them.

Ehh.... I'm on the fence with Chrysler (specifically Ram trucks). Yes, I currently own a 2012 2500.

Way back when I bought a 1997 Ram 1500 ext cab with 100k miles on it.

In two years and less than 30k miles I had to:

Replace the transmission
Have the truck repainted due to clear coat cancer
Replace the radiator (side tank cracked)
Replace the thermostat (3 times)
Fix electrical wiring in the door (power windows stopped working)
Replace the dash (grenade driving down the road one day)
Replace the steering gear box (it let go in traffic... almost died from a heart attack)

On my current Ram 2500 the engine has been flawless (but it's a 6.7L Cummins which is why I bought it). I bought it at 53k miles and it now has 68k miles.

So far I have had to:

Reseal the back window where water leaked around the top corners (documented Ram problem)
Reseal the 3rd brake light when the gasket fell apart and leaked into the cab
Fix electrical gremlins in the door from a broke wire (no dome light)
Have the HVAC wiring repaired (blower motor wouldn't shut off with key off... have to manually turn it off)
Replace the left front wheel hub assembly
Constantly lubricate the door hinges or they groan like crazy
Add a steering box brace to stop road wander
Add a stiffer steering dampener to stop road wander

Current issues are:
Transmission flares between gears when at operating temperature (Dodge claims its normal)
When I wash the truck the TC light comes on, the left rear TPMS sensor stops reading, and the ABS light comes on until the truck dries out. Eventually it goes off.

I've owned 7 F150s, 1 F250, 2 Expeditions, 1 Avalanche 1500 and 2 Chevy/GMC 1500s, and two Toyota Tacomas and out of those I have replaced 1 injector (05 Expedition), had 1 seat heater fail (Avalanche), and replaced 1 alternator (03 F150). The F250 popped a head gasket, but that was a known International engine problem. The truck itself functioned perfectly. Even with a blown head gasket the engine performed perfectly but would puke coolant when towing a heavy load.

I keep the Ram for the engine reliability, but honestly from personal experience their quality is far poorer than other options.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:13 PM

106,603 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

they had to because they were failing in great numbers . it would have hurt them dearly not to honor any that failed out of warranty . most of them did fail at some point already . got a notice yesterday they are extending the warranty on the clock spring which has been causing grief to many owners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram