Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, it was popular to advertise fast cars, as having the ability to outrun a cop car, things are a little different today though, if you even attempted to out run police today, you would find yourself with guns aimed at you and be carted off to jail, however, in decades past, it was not that serious. I have a good friend that is a retired cop, he joined the force in 1973, he said people attempting to outrun them (like avoiding a traffic stop), was not as much of a threat as it is today, of course, this depended on the situation too, if they had just robbed a bank or held up a store, that was a little different, those were seen and treated as serious threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
They're are police chases all the time on Los Angeles TV. You not only have to outrun the police car but the police helicopter, it just doesn't happen.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:27 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Well, in my limited experience, some police will do things that are downright dangerous in pursuit of people. Case in point, the cops in Vancouver, WA were chasing a suspect for murder. OK, good. Thing was they chased him to the Vancouver Mall. I happened to be leaving the mall and was about to turn onto SR-500 when I came face to face with TWO VPD at 55 mph.

I went right and almost hit the ditch. They blew past me, rammed over the divider (6" high) and joined 14 other cops chasing him.

Yeah, wrote to the captain, and got no response..... That's the only time I was near a chase and that's the closest I want to be.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:53 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
In the age of drones why are we chasing cars on the ground? I am surprised they even send out real helicopters but then gain I don't know if drones can keep up with a Hellcat.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:06 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They're are police chases all the time on Los Angeles TV. You not only have to outrun the police car but the police helicopter, it just doesn't happen.
It happened in Houston. A Houston police helicopter gave up the chaise. Then he outran a news helicopter, but they continued tracking him long distance with a zoom lense. After the guy ran out of gas and bailed out, it took the news helicopter over 10 minutes to catch up with him. Then it took another 10 minutes for a Sheriff's Department helicopter from another county to arrive to search for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EFgocyAyY

Old 03-24-2018, 03:02 PM

382 posts, read 512,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The Michigan State Police do very thorough testing of police vehicles and your guess is accurate: only the 3.5 twin turbo Ford PI and 5.7 Charger can hit 150 mph.
Just an FYI from IN resident, I haven't seen anything but a Charger, almost always without a light bar or a super low profile one in some smaller jurisdictions, as a marked police vehicle in forever and ISP has been running some unmarked 5.0 Mustangs for years now. Years ago they were also running the push rod 5.0s and then later LS1 Z28s too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were using some ZL1s or other nutty muscle cars as well now days.

Smokey in IN likes his speed.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It happened in Houston. A Houston police helicopter gave up the chaise. Then he outran a news helicopter, but they continued tracking him long distance with a zoom lense. After the guy ran out of gas and bailed out, it took the news helicopter over 10 minutes to catch up with him. Then it took another 10 minutes for a Sheriff's Department helicopter from another county to arrive to search for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EFgocyAyY
Looks like an easy drive actually.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Looking forward to self driving cars. Hoping for no more speeding, red light running, passing on the right, constant lane shifting, shoulder driving, texting and swerving, drunk driving, and jerks.
I am 58 years old and I fear that that day is coming.

Driving is one of the great joys of my life, and soon, it will be a story that we tell our great-grandchildren.

My new Camry (2018) is mighty close to being a self-driving car. Dynamic cruise control maintains distance and automatically brakes if there is a sudden stop. Lane-change departure alert beeps and snatches the wheel if you drift out of the lane. And if I get too close to someone, it flashes BRAKE!!! in huge letters on the center display.

The fantastic leap in technology from my 2012 Camry to this 2018 Camry is almost alarming.

Won't be long before the driver is no longer needed.

Is Bob Odenkirk the male anchor on that video up there? LOL. That's a great advertisement for the Hellcat.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 04-11-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM

30,347 posts, read 19,134,588 times
I have a Charger Hellcat and call it a 2 second thrill machine because after 2 seconds of punching the accelerator you have to back it off or risk putting yourself and others in danger and an expensive ticket...it's an exhilarating 2 seconds though.

The Hellcat is definitely not a vehicle for those with poor impulse control.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
In any case, anyone who engages the police in a chase reaching those speeds should thrown in jail for a very long time.
And those cars should be impounded in some remote speck of rural Nevada desert. Humm, where could they possibly find a place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Hell, even that new KIA Steinger does 167.
Yeah, but its still a Kia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram