Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

How does Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram compare to other domestic brands (GM and Ford) these days in terms of reliability, durability, longevity, and overall quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 06:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I don't think it's fair to lump all of the Chrysler products in one heap and try to compare them to others. The Jeep, for an example, is pure crap. Tons of problems with the Jeep line. The Chrysler line, only the minivan is worth looking at and it comes with issues especially with the V6 Pentastar engine. They still have no permanent fix for the lousy head gaskets that were an issue during the pre-production testing. The Ram, is not a bad truck if you can handle all of the cheap plastic. If you're easy on a vehicle, it'll last just as long as any out there. But if you're hard on what you drive, it won't take long and it's a pile of crap. The 300 is so dated that it doesn't qualify as a new car anymore. The Charger needs a major overhaul itself. The police force units are not taking the beating like an Explorer or the Tahoe. Most of the police units here are Explorers. They bought the Chargers but they didn't make it far before maintenance got to be too much. The Tahoes didn't last long here for the same reason and that they ate gas like it was candy. The Explorer seems to be holding up to police type service. While I would hate to see Chrysler go away, it certainly is not the car company that was around when I was growing up. Even in the 60's, the Chrysler 300 was a car to be wary of as they packed a lot of HP in those big cars. Obviously, MOPAR is not what it was. You can chat all you want about the 707HP "hemi" but the biggest issue with one is none of the cars it sits in has the ability to put the power to the street. Great tire burners though but not that much go in the factory setup. Modified, yeah, it can haul the mail but then we're not talking about modified cars. Pick a car line and then you can compare fairly. Chrysler as a whole, I wouldn't have one, yet if I had no other choice, I wouldn't be unhappy in a Ram truck.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
How does Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram compare to other domestic brands (GM and Ford) these days in terms of reliability, durability, longevity, and overall quality.
The Pacifica brought Chrysler up on the list (of ALL major manufacturers)but the model is too new to have any idea how it will hold up long term.

Dodge, Ram and Jeep are all still at or near the bottom of the list, well below both GM and Ford. Unfortunate because Ram makes some pretty likable trucks otherwise.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
You comparing worst to bad.
And Pacifica been around quite for some time.

The Chrysler Pacifica nameplate was used by Chrysler for a variety of vehicles. It was first used on a luxury minivan concept vehicle in 1999. From 2004 to 2008, it was used on a mid-size crossover. Since the 2017 model year, it has been used on the Town & Country minivan's replacement.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
It's very sad that Chrysler can't even stand up to GM and Ford in quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIAy1_O39r4

Old 06-04-2018, 03:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I don't think it's fair to lump all of the Chrysler products in one heap and try to compare them to others. The Jeep, for an example, is pure crap. Tons of problems with the Jeep line. The Chrysler line, only the minivan is worth looking at and it comes with issues especially with the V6 Pentastar engine. They still have no permanent fix for the lousy head gaskets that were an issue during the pre-production testing. The Ram, is not a bad truck if you can handle all of the cheap plastic. If you're easy on a vehicle, it'll last just as long as any out there. But if you're hard on what you drive, it won't take long and it's a pile of crap. The 300 is so dated that it doesn't qualify as a new car anymore. The Charger needs a major overhaul itself. The police force units are not taking the beating like an Explorer or the Tahoe. Most of the police units here are Explorers. They bought the Chargers but they didn't make it far before maintenance got to be too much. The Tahoes didn't last long here for the same reason and that they ate gas like it was candy. The Explorer seems to be holding up to police type service. While I would hate to see Chrysler go away, it certainly is not the car company that was around when I was growing up. Even in the 60's, the Chrysler 300 was a car to be wary of as they packed a lot of HP in those big cars. Obviously, MOPAR is not what it was. You can chat all you want about the 707HP "hemi" but the biggest issue with one is none of the cars it sits in has the ability to put the power to the street. Great tire burners though but not that much go in the factory setup. Modified, yeah, it can haul the mail but then we're not talking about modified cars. Pick a car line and then you can compare fairly. Chrysler as a whole, I wouldn't have one, yet if I had no other choice, I wouldn't be unhappy in a Ram truck.
You're kinda outta date. The Pentastar had head gasket issues way back in 2012/2013 and has since been fixed and its one of the top rated engines Best engines in the world, ranked by Wards - Business Insider

Police most likely went from Charger to Explorer because one's an SUV and the other is a sedan.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:32 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You comparing worst to bad.
And Pacifica been around quite for some time.

The Chrysler Pacifica nameplate was used by Chrysler for a variety of vehicles. It was first used on a luxury minivan concept vehicle in 1999. From 2004 to 2008, it was used on a mid-size crossover. Since the 2017 model year, it has been used on the Town & Country minivan's replacement.
Nobody cares about reliability anymore. The difference between the most reliable and worst reliable now is negligible compared to 30 years ago. What's important now is practicality, infotainment systems, safety, efficiency.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:35 AM

890 posts, read 882,019 times
I have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, bought new, zero problems at 37000 miles. Much lower price than the competition, with stow and go seating.
I bought a 2017 Jeep Renegade new, 20,000 miles, zero problems.
One of my sons just bought a new Jeep Wrangler, the JL model. If you haven't driven one before, try one. It is surprisingly refined compared to the JK. The best convertible I have ridden in, with the soft top down.
The only product I would avoid from Chrysler is anything with the 9 speed transmission which was designed in Germany. It has slow and strange shifting, although that may have been fixed by now.
I prefer FCA as they are often offering best value in their class. If you want a front wheel drive sedan, you have to look elsewhere.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:12 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I have had a few Chrysler products since 2000, a couple TJ Wranglers, a mid prior decade Sebring, and more recently a couple Chargers. Never had a major issue with any of them, with only a couple cheap and relatively harmless electrical things (Wrangler had a broken button, and a bad heater control solenoid. Sebring had a bad Cruise control button, as did one of my Chargers. Charger also had a wire break in the heater). Repair costs of all of this was very minimal. No mechanical issues at all.

Basically, the FCA products have been equal to or superior (sometimes far superior) to other brands we have owned over the same time (A Honda Accord, which had some moderate issues, mostly ate rear brakes and hardware, a couple Subaru Outbacks which have been terrific, a Subaru BRZ with all kinds of transmission issues, a Chrysler Crossfire, which has been fine but I did not mention above as it is really a rebadged Mercedes, and Lincoln MKC which was truly a lemon, 12 service visits in 18 months, still multiple problems after all that).

Basically, I have experienced none of the horrors of alleged poor reliability in the FCA products I have had, and find them equally equivalent to the more reliable vehicles we have had. Could just be a fluke, as this is not at all scientific. However, buying FCA gives me no heartburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
I have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, bought new, zero problems at 37000 miles. Much lower price than the competition, with stow and go seating.
I bought a 2017 Jeep Renegade new, 20,000 miles, zero problems.
One of my sons just bought a new Jeep Wrangler, the JL model. If you haven't driven one before, try one. It is surprisingly refined compared to the JK. The best convertible I have ridden in, with the soft top down.
The only product I would avoid from Chrysler is anything with the 9 speed transmission which was designed in Germany. It has slow and strange shifting, although that may have been fixed by now.
I prefer FCA as they are often offering best value in their class. If you want a front wheel drive sedan, you have to look elsewhere.

The ZF 9 speed had big problems back in the '14-'15 model years, and has slowly been getting better since. However, it is not perfect either. FCA builds the transmission themselves, on license from ZF, and FCA provides the computer programing to operate it. As time has gone on, they have continually refined the programing which has helped some. However, FCA and ZF have disagreed on what is the true cause/problem. ZF claims it is a programming issue, FCA a design issue.

I cannot say which it is, but both Honda/Acura and Land Rover/Jaguar also use the ZF 9 speed in some products, and they have been panned in those products too.

I would do extended driving of anything with it before buying to be sure whether or not I liked it or not.

Last edited by Checkered24; 06-05-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 AM

628 posts, read 837,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have had a few Chrysler products since 2000, a couple TJ Wranglers, a mid prior decade Sebring, and more recently a couple Chargers. Never had a major issue with any of them, with only a couple cheap and relatively harmless electrical things (Wrangler had a broken button, and a bad heater control solenoid. Sebring had a bad Cruise control button, as did one of my Chargers. Charger also had a wire break in the heater). Repair costs of all of this was very minimal. No mechanical issues at all.

Basically, the FCA products have been equal to or superior (sometimes far superior) to other brands we have owned over the same time (A Honda Accord, which had some moderate issues, mostly ate rear brakes and hardware, a couple Subaru Outbacks which have been terrific, a Subaru BRZ with all kinds of transmission issues, a Chrysler Crossfire, which has been fine but I did not mention above as it is really a rebadged Mercedes, and Lincoln MKC which was truly a lemon, 12 service visits in 18 months, still multiple problems after all that).

Basically, I have experienced none of the horrors of alleged poor reliability in the FCA products I have had, and find them equally equivalent to the more reliable vehicles we have had. Could just be a fluke, as this is not at all scientific. However, buying FCA gives me no heartburn.

The ZF 9 speed had big problems back in the '14-'15 model years, and has slowly been getting better since. However, it is not perfect either. FCA builds the transmission themselves, on license from ZF, and FCA provides the computer programing to operate it. As time has gone on, they have continually refined the programing which has helped some. However, FCA and ZF have disagreed on what is the true cause/problem. ZF claims it is a programming issue, FCA a design issue.

I cannot say which it is, but both Honda/Acura and Land Rover/Jaguar also use the ZF 9 speed in some products, and they have been panned in those products too.

I would do extended driving of anything with it before buying to be sure whether or not I liked it or not.
I never had good luck with any Chrysler (now FCA) vehicle including a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2000 Dodge caravan, 2002 Dodge Neon, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 and 2008 Jeep Patriot (I only owned the Neon but people I know owned the other vehicles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram